Jaguar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Not sure anyone has tried resistors in the detectors but worth a try I guess.
I have. Tried various different values, all produced a PSS fault to display on the dash. This will self clear when the sensors are reconnected and the ignition is cycled causing the system to self test. Inside the sensor is a circuit board of discrete electronics, I didn't bother to look them up to figure what or how it works.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have. Tried various different values, all produced a PSS fault to display on the dash. This will self clear when the sensors are reconnected and the ignition is cycled causing the system to self test. Inside the sensor is a circuit board of discrete electronics, I didn't bother to look them up to figure what or how it works.
On MY2012 sensors are exactly the same as airbag sensors. Maybe you could find something based on that. If they send the data in digital format i.e. two voltage levels, resistors cannot help.
what about replacing the airbags with one of those fake airbag modules?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
So, it does sound as though you can put some resistors into the airbag connector (thus saving the bonnet from damage, but not the module), or go down the SDD route and disable it entirely.

The SDD route does have its own drawbacks though if you're not well versed so it's something I'd strongly advise to get one of our resident experts involved with, even if it's remotely via teamview.

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
An easier option would be to reposition the accelerometers from inside the front bumper and bolt them onto the subframe. Not disabling but certainly much reducing sensitivity.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Not sure what effect that would have. You'd think it would only react from a forwards/backwards type of movement, but would it set it off from a pothole etc if it was fixed to something more solid rather than the slightly more flexible bumper?

No idea really but I'm not sure I'd be testing that theory out.

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
Not sure what effect that would have. You'd think it would only react from a forwards/backwards type of movement, but would it set it off from a pothole etc if it was fixed to something more solid rather than the slightly more flexible bumper?

No idea really but I'm not sure I'd be testing that theory out.
Fair comment. Then attach them using a cable tie. Or gluing onto a piece of structural foam.

Reactions: Ianf

·
Registered
208 Posts
Couldn't agree more and disappointing to discover owner's handbooks that are at variance with the car they are assigned to. This in itself doesn't inspire confidence that one’s assumptions are likely to be valid.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
It's been well documented that the actual fuses bear little resemblance to what's in the book. It's not just this either, there's a few in different places.

Reactions: BRC

·
Registered
53 Posts
It was November 2014, facelift version, but before the model change to 260. Although the on-line service record shows it as 2015. Its a LHD, originating in Germany, but now registered in France (where I live). I remember now the MY number is for UK based cars

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the boot fuse compartment I have found F36 a red 10A fuse. The handbook describes as the fuse for "Pedestrian Protection System". I removed it to see what if any effects it would have. There were no messages, error codes, or problems arising.
I might put it back some time.;)
Interesting ! As an experiment I temporarily removed the same fuse in my 2008 SV8 and this error message appeared on the dash: " Check Pedestrian Safety System " with a warning rectangle (similar to having a door open etc)

·
Registered
276 Posts
It was November 2014, facelift version, but before the model change to 260. Although the on-line service record shows it as 2015. Its a LHD, originating in Germany, but now registered in France (where I live). I remember now the MY number is for UK based cars
User manuals doesn’t seem to be correct for SRS and PPS.

for a 2014 XF, I am affraid you have shut down your airbag system entirely which also disables the PPS.

It seems clear to me that F36 is consistently for SRS (and PPS) for all facelift models.
F35 or f34 varies for them but are for other systems.

For pre-facelifts f36 is for PPS and f35 is for SRS. So they can remove f36 and disable PPS if they don’t mind “Check pps” warning.

That’s why you don’t see a warning. When you start up your car, the airbag light will probably not light up at all even for a few second.
normally it’s on and when you turn engine on it stays on for few seconds and then off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Interesting ! As an experiment I temporarily removed the same fuse in my 2008 SV8 and this error message appeared on the dash: " Check Pedestrian Safety System " with a warning rectangle (similar to having a door open etc)
re my previous message your experiment is correct. You can disable pps that way if you can bear that warning on dash all the time.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
User manuals doesn’t seem to be correct for SRS and PPS.

for a 2014 XF, I am affraid you have shut down your airbag system entirely which also disables the PPS.

It seems clear to me that F36 is consistently for SRS (and PPS) for all facelift models.
F35 or f34 varies for them but are for other systems.

For pre-facelifts f36 is for PPS and f35 is for SRS. So they can remove f36 and disable PPS if they don’t mind “Check pps” warning.

That’s why you don’t see a warning. When you start up your car, the airbag light will probably not light up at all even for a few second.
normally it’s on and when you turn engine on it stays on for few seconds and then off.
I fail to believe though that you can entirely disable the airbag system and not get any sort of warning for it. It's a very important safety system and I'd be very surprised if jaguar haven't incorporated a big red flashy warning on the dash to say it's not working correctly, even if that fault is there's no power to it.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
276 Posts
I fail to believe though that you can entirely disable the airbag system and not get any sort of warning for it. It's a very important safety system and I'd be very surprised if jaguar haven't incorporated a big red flashy warning on the dash to say it's not working correctly, even if that fault is there's no power to it.
couldn’t agree more and I would be surprised as well but Carpo tried it already. For SRS the basic standard warning is the airbag light. If it doesn’t show up during start up means the system is not installed and if it stays on means there is a problem with it. I understand that considering these cars show red and amber warnings all the time for everything it doesn’t make sense they just use airbag light to warn which is easy to overlook.

If it wasn’t airbag related I would have give it a go but doesn’t worth the risk because I am not going to disable PPS on my car anyway.

waiting for Carpo to confirm the airbag light situation during firing the engine up. If airbag lights comes on and turns off after engine starts that means F36 is for another system which doesn’t make sense. BRC’s car is also from the same MY.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So, just checked with fuse 36 (PPS) pulled and the ignition on, and the orange airbag warning lamp (lower right on the rev counter) comes on for a second or so and then extinguishes (as do some others). I presume that means the airbag system is functioning. I cannot see a dedicated fuse in the handbook for the airbag system, unless it is covered by the secondary restraint system (SRS) fuse F35.

·
Registered
276 Posts
So, just checked with fuse 36 (PPS) pulled and the ignition on, and the orange airbag warning lamp (lower right on the rev counter) comes on for a second or so and then extinguishes (as do some others). I presume that means the airbag system is functioning. I cannot see a dedicated fuse in the handbook for the airbag system, unless it is covered by the secondary restraint system (SRS) fuse F35.
Thanks for confirming. Is fuse F34 installed for you?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, F34 is occupied by a red 10A fuse. The German language handbook doesn't indicate a fuse here and in general bears no resemblance to what's installed. If I know what F34 should control I could pull it and see, but I'm wary of pulling fuses ad hoc as I managed to kill my electrics when installing my front camera some time ago (all sorted now).

101 - 120 of 145 Posts