·
Registered
940 Posts
Found the post for any who are interested in future:

Have to scroll down a bit...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I always had problem with cleaning the rubber coated buttons of my facelift XF. The only way was get them wet and then use brush and let it dry. that works but they easily absorb any flying dust. Now my audio control button on steering wheel and dynamic mode button on GSM become sticky (the feel not functionality) and the rubber is falling apart. I have scratched most of the rubber and really prefer the feel without rubber.
Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure? I am not sure if I have used a product that contained solvent for that rubber but I cannot recall use of an special product on them.
Can I use a clear pastidip or something similar restore the rubber?
Also can I use adhesive solvent to make removing the rubber easier without damaging the the base plastic and markings?

My car is better than what you see in below photo but rubber peels off with finger nail easily. This photo looks like still have the rubber on but on left side you they guys has used finger nail to peel it.
Hi to you Brits from America home of the brave who like your cars. Got one and a few others. Sticky buttons are a problem with videos on Youtube to treat them. A vendor sold me a sheet cut on a Cricut machine with new caps tops. Really cruddy as a solution if you think about having stuff stuck to your button tops for all long as the adhesive holds before it too succumbs. I have sticky buttons in Maseratis and a Ferrari. I see it in other cars. It's costly to replace. Junker parts suffer the same fate from heat and humidity and time, so buying replacements is stop gap. I soak the buttons overnight in various things like Resolve Carpet Cleaner. Don't rub if you have black or white printing as that will remove it. It works a while before the new surface suffers the same fate, about another year or so in the summer sun and heat and humidity.

The best alternative is to remove the buttons, scan, and 3D print or carve replacements on a MakerBot. If you get good scans (3D) you can share them (as .SVGs). Others need this too. Vendors can print the SVG files for a fee in various soft or hard plastics and rubber. Some service bureaus print multiple plastics at the same time for your lighted button faces. You can find what you want or remake your own, subject to price limitations. You can strip yucky rubbery panels to laminate burlwood, carbon fiber sheets, or other materials instead. It helps to build a two-part mold to apply level pressure to prevent seams and bubbles. If it doesn't work the first time, strip it and try again. I have. I use sheets of pink insulation foam or jigsaw cedar boards for lamination forms. I make parts and frames and stuff all the time for cars, boats, and household things because I can. Sometimes new is cheaper. Depends where you heart is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi to you Brits from America home of the brave who like your cars. Got one and a few others. Sticky buttons are a problem with videos on Youtube to treat them. A vendor sold me a sheet cut on a Cricut machine with new caps tops. Really cruddy as a solution if you think about having stuff stuck to your button tops for all long as the adhesive holds before it too succumbs. I have sticky buttons in Maseratis and a Ferrari. I see it in other cars. It's costly to replace. Junker parts suffer the same fate from heat and humidity and time, so buying replacements is stop gap. I soak the buttons overnight in various things like Resolve Carpet Cleaner. Don't rub if you have black or white printing as that will remove it. It works a while before the new surface suffers the same fate, about another year or so in the summer sun and heat and humidity.

The best alternative is to remove the buttons, scan, and 3D print or carve replacements on a MakerBot. If you get good scans (3D) you can share them (as .SVGs). Others need this too. Vendors can print the SVG files for a fee in various soft or hard plastics and rubber. Some service bureaus print multiple plastics at the same time for your lighted button faces. You can find what you want or remake your own, subject to price limitations. You can strip yucky rubbery panels to laminate burlwood, carbon fiber sheets, or other materials instead. It helps to build a two-part mold to apply level pressure to prevent seams and bubbles. If it doesn't work the first time, strip it and try again. I have. I use sheets of pink insulation foam or jigsaw cedar boards for lamination forms. I make parts and frames and stuff all the time for cars, boats, and household things because I can. Sometimes new is cheaper. Depends where you heart is.
I have a CNC but not a 3D scanner and to be honest I thought about what you do. The point is mine seem is very good shape one the sticky coat is removed. And so far it doesn’t seem to affect markings.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts