Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always had problem with cleaning the rubber coated buttons of my facelift XF. The only way was get them wet and then use brush and let it dry. that works but they easily absorb any flying dust. Now my audio control button on steering wheel and dynamic mode button on GSM become sticky (the feel not functionality) and the rubber is falling apart. I have scratched most of the rubber and really prefer the feel without rubber.
Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure? I am not sure if I have used a product that contained solvent for that rubber but I cannot recall use of an special product on them.
Can I use a clear pastidip or something similar restore the rubber?
Also can I use adhesive solvent to make removing the rubber easier without damaging the the base plastic and markings?

My car is better than what you see in below photo but rubber peels off with finger nail easily. This photo looks like still have the rubber on but on left side you they guys has used finger nail to peel it.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I noticed that with my X250, being an early build, and wondered how long they would eventually last before disintegrating completely. This answers my question...

I've seen it on computer mice and on my Canon EOS camera grips. The rubber coating first gets sticky, then peels when you try to do anything with it.
I ended up coating the grips on my Canon with clear lacquer which helped get rid of the sticky feeling but made the them shiny. I suppose a matt lacquer might work better.

Too late for your wheel buttons now, but would you think about using a coating like Gtechnik C4 or the like to try and take the stickiness away?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this and is there a cure?
I just scrapped the top layer off with my finger nail and it's been fine since, no stickiness.. but I was careful to only use my nail and then a mild cleaner.

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
5,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Personally I would suggest buying a second hand steering wheel, with rollers that haven't worn out, like below, and replacing the whole units:

·
Registered
17,818 Posts
That's for a classic though John..
But the roller-switches and buttons are the same. Wouldn't take much swapping.

Reactions: JordanRaven

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Apologies John, I hadn't realised that was what you were saying..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed that with my X250, being an early build, and wondered how long they would eventually last before disintegrating completely. This answers my question...

I've seen it on computer mice and on my Canon EOS camera grips. The rubber coating first gets sticky, then peels when you try to do anything with it.
I ended up coating the grips on my Canon with clear lacquer which helped get rid of the sticky feeling but made the them shiny. I suppose a matt lacquer might work better.

Too late for your wheel buttons now, but would you think about using a coating like Gtechnik C4 or the like to try and take the stickiness away?
Thanks. Never heard of Gtechnik C4 but had a look online. Apparently it bonds to rubber as well as plastic trim. I will look into it and try. I have to save the part that I scrapped already looks better but if this works I can use on other buttons than steering wheel ones.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just scrapped the top layer off with my finger nail and it's been fine since, no stickiness.. but I was careful to only use my nail and then a mild cleaner.
I tried that initially but then I thought it’s not a right thing. However if I can take them off, I prefer to do it properly and put it back.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I would suggest buying a second hand steering wheel, with rollers that haven't worn out, like below, and replacing the whole units:

Sounds reasonable. However the one in this listing seems already started to become sticky. Even if not it could do a little further down the line.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks John. Sorry my post was misleading. It’s not the button. It’s the surrounding plate on steering wheel. For GSM the buttons are doing this though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found this on another forum. Might give it a go but after taking the part off the car.

have the same problem with my 2013 XF also. Saw this solution on the internet and tried it on my sticky buttons. It works !

- Mix 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda (can buy from local ABC store for $1 a box) with a little hot water to make a thick paste. Wrap a cloth around your fore finger, dap the tip of the cloth with the baking soda paste and gently rub in on the sticky rubber coating. After a while the sticky rubber coating will bind with the paste and be removed. (can a bit messy with all the loose bits and paste dropping off,) The paste does not dissolve or remove the markings and you will end up with a smooth plastic surface with the markings intact. I spent about an hour over the weekend to remove all the sticky coatings. (Do not use solvents or try to scrap off the sticky coating with scrapper/fingernails etc as the markings will be removed as well).”

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Really? Do you have a link or part numebr? I rather to buy the right one with ACC dial.
Left side

C2Z13443

Right side (More expensive than what I thought due to ACC)

C2Z13445

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Left side

C2Z13443

Right side (More expensive than what I thought due to ACC)

C2Z13445

Thank you for your time👍🏻 I certainly look into it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts