Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve got a problem I was driveing and the car just cut out with a gearbox fault.
it would then only click now.

ok I got recovered to a garage they are saying the engine is seized but I’ve got no warnings on dash or when it stopped there was no faults apart from fuel light had just come on and then gearbox fault.the garage can’t get the engine to turn by hand or a big bar. Said engines seized. I now have the car home as I don’t have money to replace engine. So I thought I would have a look

so I’ve tried bat terminals together to clear fault no fault now but still will not turn over just clicking. I’ve charged the battery up but nothing I’ve put the belt back on. I’ve suck the oil out and got about 7-8 litters out so going to put fresh oil back in.
has any one got any suggestions please and thank you.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Welcome aboard Andy, very sorry to hear of your woes!!

The first thing I'd do is check the codes with a reasonable code reader if you have one, if not, whereabouts are you.. someone who lives near you might pop over with theirs for you.

Pete

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pete I only have a cheap one and it’s getting nothing.
iam in Scottish Borders Td13ry I will ask around if anyone has one but not sure.
iam now charging bat as it had lost power might just go and buy a new one and if it does not work take it back.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you cannot turn the engine manually with a bar, unfortunately it’s not a good news battery shouldn’t help. Is there any play when you try to turn it or it’s completely seized?
How old is the car and how many mileage has it done? Any previous problems?

·
Administrator
27,551 Posts
Hate to say this, but I suspect your engine has fallen prey to the dreaded snapped crankshaft malaise.

If that is the case you need a new engine, or at the very least, a new bottom half. That could be from a scrapper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you cannot turn the engine manually with a bar, unfortunately it’s not a good news battery shouldn’t help. Is there any play when you try to turn it or it’s completely seized?
Ye I cant turn it on the crank pulley by hand even with the belt of not a bit of movement I did not no If I needed the gearbox in a certain gear I’ve tried p and n nothing.
i just can’t believe there was no warning before during or after if it is which I think it is seized.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hate to say this, but I suspect your engine has fallen prey to the dreaded snapped crankshaft malaise.

If that is the case you need a new engine, or at the very least, a new bottom half. That could be from a scrapper.
Thank for getting back I think you are right shame I had only had the car 2 months and 3 weeks of them I was getting wheel and suspension done up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No play what so ever booohooo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He can’t turn by hand but did not own the car for long 2 months. So not sure of any problems.

·
18,268 Posts
Sodding hell,
sorry to hear of this Andy.

Did you buy the car private or from a dealer?

If from a dealer, then you should have a good chance at a warranty claim.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
If it was a private sale things might well be grim.. if it was from from a dealer of any sort however things might be different...

·
Super Moderator
26,822 Posts
Fingers crossed you bought from a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
He can’t turn by hand but did not own the car for long 2 months. So not sure of any problems.
if it’s that bad, you probably have a damage to the block or broken crankshaft. Do you see any oil leaks?
When this happened do you remember any particular sound? Any snapped belt?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone worst thing it was a private sale so no come back against the seller.
iv been looking in to breaking the poor we car.
or does anyone want to buy it as a hole car.
thanks andy

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Thanks everyone worst thing it was a private sale so no come back against the seller.
iv been looking in to breaking the poor we car.
or does anyone want to buy it as a hole car.
thanks andy
Man I feel for you as it’s an inherent design fault too. A refurbed lump will be £7-£8k. But there’s a few second hand units out there.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
You could try some of the Jaguar Facebook groups, there's a few breaking and you may be able to get a cheap engine. That's really unfortunate though what's happened to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You could try some of the Jaguar Facebook groups, there's a few breaking and you may be able to get a cheap engine. That's really unfortunate though what's happened to you.
Hi thanks for the reply iv looked around and I can get one for 2400 but it’s 86k on it but it does come with a 3 month warranty.
I am thinking of just selling it on as the car is great but I can’t a Ford to buy and get an engine fitted.
as it will probably cost 1k to fit as well.
so prob cost 4K in the end and the cars only worth 6k max.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man I feel for you as it’s an inherent design fault too. A refurbed lump will be £7-£8k. But there’s a few second hand units out there.
Hi I’ve looked about and I can get second hand one for 2400 then about 1k to fit so prob 4K in total I don’t think putting that amount off money in to a car that might do it again.
the engine is coming with a 3month warenty.
not sure what to do.
iam getting a lend of a laptop tomorrow avo to put on her and see what faults are on her.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I really feel for you Andy. Such bad luck on your big cat. Even buying a short engine entails a well equipped garage and a lot of time stripping and rebuilding. A difficult decision!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts