Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 XK had developed a handbrake fault The warning tells me that the handbrake and cruise control have a fault

This has been checked by my local Jag dealer who tells me that the handbrake unit isn't at fault Anybody got any ideas

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
How's the battery? Separate and seemingly unconnected warnings that arise simultaneously can often be a symptom of a failing battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John

Haven't had the battery checked Could this cause the handbrake jam on?

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
Hi John

Haven't had the battery checked Could this cause the handbrake jam on?
Perhaps not. You didn't mention that there was actually a mechanical fault, only that you had warnings of the handbrake and cruise control faults.
Is the handbrake an EPB (electric) on the 2008XK? Try doing a search here. I do know that handbrake problems have been discussed, albeit on other models although I suspect the mechanism will be the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is an electronic handbrake
If the handbrake is on it stays on ( which has happened twice) and won’t come off This time I didn’t put the handbrake on and it has stayed off Feels more like a software/ electrical problem

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
If the system is the same as the 2008 XF then one of the prerequisites of the EPB being released is that the footbrake is applied. This then could indicated a failing brake pedal switch.
Have you had any problem starting the car? Are the brake lights functioning as they should?
Do you have a code reader? If this or the EPB actuator has failed, there should be stored fault codes.
And of course, check your fuses.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
My 2008 XK had developed a handbrake fault The warning tells me that the handbrake and cruise control have a fault

This has been checked by my local Jag dealer who tells me that the handbrake unit isn't at fault Anybody got any ideas
So what did the dealer tell you the issue was if they said the handbrake isn't at fault? If it's sticking on there's a fault there somewhere, even if it was the battery failing. Do you know what the dealer actually checked to diagnose the fault? Unless it was just a cursory look they did? I have a 2011 XKR, extensively the same as yours, also a XFS, and both cars use very similar systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts