Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So my last car was an XF 2016, which apart from a number of DPF issues I loved.

Have just gone to an XJ 2018, which has more tech, and bigger, faster smoother engine (and much bigger costs - Tax (My Xf was £35 per year, not its more than that a month!) / Ins / Annual instead of every 2 year servicing - not sure why?!)

My big query is around the Sat Nav, which Ive already been back to the dealer a number of times in the month due to software faults, and satnav being unavailable, but that aside, and assuming one day it works normally :

Ive put in a data SIM card, which I never used for the XF.

The Xf used to re-route if there was works or heavy traffic.

Does anyone have a good idea as to how and when the data card uses data, and why for the XJ it requires a data card re-route when an earlier Xf managed it without, or am I missing something somewhere (confused.com)

·
Registered
384 Posts
The sim card does more than just Sat nav information. It can download software updates for other parts of the car too but as to how much data is used, I am afraid I can't help you there. It will not download map updates. I fitted a "3" sim card that lasts for 24 months and it is still working fine some 22 months later so I can't be using that much and we do use the "satellite" view for quite a bit of the time. As for re-routing in the case of traffic delays, I have not noticed that it does this very much at all but the information it gives such as how long the queue is to the roundabout is far more accurate than delays reported by previous Jaguar sat navs, which I understand used Classic FM for such information.

The main problem you will need to be aware of is the very serious oil dilution issues with the 3 litre diesel (Euro 6) engine that I assume you have in your car. You need to check the oil level in your car on a very regular basis to avoid serious problems. When the oil is changed, ensure that the level is no higher than half way on the electronic dipstick to allow room for the oil dilution and get the oil changed as soon as it reaches maximum. Regular oil changes are a must. It is easy to do yourself, once you have the tools you can do an oil and filter change in less than half an hour but you will need a decent code reader tool to reset the oil dilution levels and the miles to next service indicator.

Reactions: PeteA and OBC John

·
Founder member
5,303 Posts
The sim card does more than just Sat nav information. It can download software updates for other parts of the car too but as to how much data is used, I am afraid I can't help you there. It will not download map updates. I fitted a "3" sim card that lasts for 24 months and it is still working fine some 22 months later so I can't be using that much and we do use the "satellite" view for quite a bit of the time. As for re-routing in the case of traffic delays, I have not noticed that it does this very much at all but the information it gives such as how long the queue is to the roundabout is far more accurate than delays reported by previous Jaguar sat navs, which I understand used Classic FM for such information.

The main problem you will need to be aware of is the very serious oil dilution issues with the 3 litre diesel (Euro 6) engine that I assume you have in your car. You need to check the oil level in your car on a very regular basis to avoid serious problems. When the oil is changed, ensure that the level is no higher than half way on the electronic dipstick to allow room for the oil dilution and get the oil changed as soon as it reaches maximum. Regular oil changes are a must. It is easy to do yourself, once you have the tools you can do an oil and filter change in less than half an hour but you will need a decent code reader tool to reset the oil dilution levels and the miles to next service indicator.
Don’t worry it will demand oil changes every 3000m with dilution rates of 8%.
Do a search on my experience

1 - 3 of 3 Posts