Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all the comments which confirms that my experience of early oil changes is less to do with " driving style" ie. short journeys and more to do with the the architecture of the engine/DPF layout to be compliant with Euro 6. I will now be more confident in trying to negotiate FOC / reduced price oil changes with the Dealership while the car is under Approved Used Warranty then look to changing the oil myself.

As I don't plan (can't afford) to change the car for a petrol version in the short term I would be grateful for comments on :

1. I presume that if I continue to monitor the oil dilution using the iCarsoft scanner and carry out early oil changes that the risk to the engine is small ?

2. As the motor trade become aware of the oil dilution issue on the XJ Diesel (Euro 6) 2015 or newer, the resale price could be adversely affected - although looking at Autotrader both Independent or Jaguar Dealerships are not currently discounting these cars, perhaps benefiting from the relatively small number/scarcity value ?

Thanks

Tony

·
18,706 Posts
Think you are getting a bit to deep about this, just enjoy the car.
Again - a comment that is about as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.

He's every right to voice his concerns and opinions on here Steve. It's a forum.
I'm sure he will enjoy the car - but that enjoyment will be marred by the now well known issues of JLR engine and DFP architecture.
This is the whole point of a forum - to talk to like minded others.
To share ideas, help each other and provide information to empower customers more, who end up getting screwed over at dealers/garages.

Something you seem to miss the point on altogether.

Reactions: Gav and Tony R

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for all the comments which confirms that my experience of early oil changes is less to do with " driving style" ie. short journeys and more to do with the the architecture of the engine/DPF layout to be compliant with Euro 6. I will now be more confident in trying to negotiate FOC / reduced price oil changes with the Dealership while the car is under Approved Used Warranty then look to changing the oil myself.

As I don't plan (can't afford) to change the car for a petrol version in the short term I would be grateful for comments on :

1. I presume that if I continue to monitor the oil dilution using the iCarsoft scanner and carry out early oil changes that the risk to the engine is small ?

2. As the motor trade become aware of the oil dilution issue on the XJ Diesel (Euro 6) 2015 or newer, the resale price could be adversely affected - although looking at Autotrader both Independent or Jaguar Dealerships are not currently discounting these cars, perhaps benefiting from the relatively small number/scarcity value ?

Thanks

Tony
I experienced similar issues with my Euro6 3.0d XJ, I needed an interim oil change between services last year at around 4.5k (But initially I put that down to a faulty/sticking throttle body which was replaced under warranty) even though i was mainly doing the ideal type of mileage (long distances at motorway speeds).

I started using Archoil and I noticed a significant improvement in the “drop” of distance remaining to next service, but it still wasn’t fully controlled. However at the last service in Feb I did discuss the issue with the dealer and i believe they updated the ECU/PCM software as there was a noticeable improvement in the drops and also a change in behaviour.

The distance remaining counts down based on time (that seems to be a lockdown feature at approx 40m/day) but driving and regenerations don’t impact on this - i do use the Archoil still and I haven’t seen any of the characteristics I saw before the last service.

Reactions: Tony R and hamedhbb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I experienced similar issues with my Euro6 3.0d XJ, I needed an interim oil change between services last year at around 4.5k (But initially I put that down to a faulty/sticking throttle body which was replaced under warranty) even though i was mainly doing the ideal type of mileage (long distances at motorway speeds).

I started using Archoil and I noticed a significant improvement in the “drop” of distance remaining to next service, but it still wasn’t fully controlled. However at the last service in Feb I did discuss the issue with the dealer and i believe they updated the ECU/PCM software as there was a noticeable improvement in the drops and also a change in behaviour.

The distance remaining counts down based on time (that seems to be a lockdown feature at approx 40m/day) but driving and regenerations don’t impact on this - i do use the Archoil still and I haven’t seen any of the characteristics I saw before the last service.
Thanks very much for your advice.

I will also raise the issue of the update on the ECU/PCM software with my local Jaguar Dealership as that is something that has never come during previous discussions - all the emphasis was on " driving style" ie. too many short journeys !

Tony

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
704 Posts
Again - a comment that is about as much use as Anne Frank's drum kit.

He's every right to voice his concerns and opinions on here Steve. It's a forum.
I'm sure he will enjoy the car - but that enjoyment will be marred by the now well known issues of JLR engine and DFP architecture.
This is the whole point of a forum - to talk to like minded others.
To share ideas, help each other and provide information to empower customers more, who end up getting screwed over at dealers/garages.

Something you seem to miss the point on altogether.
Jings Rigz......and here was I thinking it was for poking fun at people losing their Jags due to Covid/redundancy, and suggesting a Fiat Uno was their next best bet.....! When I win the lottery, I will buy this wuckfit a top model Rav4 and insist he joins our Forum.......just so I can ban him on Post 1......!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have never had any issues with any my 3.0d jags, even doing a small annual mileage. The key must be it’s 20 mile to anywhere from home.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
704 Posts
The policy of building asylums well away from normal habitation pays dividends.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts