Jaguar Forum banner

501 - 520 of 648 Posts

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
You know what? Todays blonde moment - and utter brain fart.

I've got a clay mitt lying about the garage somewhere🤦‍♂️
I let Dan try the one I bought last Jan, Farecla G3 mitt, yesterday and he said it was a complete breeze having done one panel with the clay blob.
Had the whole Corsa done in less than an hour.

Great day so some waxing :) just don't forget to do the car as well.... ;)

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
One word of caution: I've used a Farecla clay mitt for many years now (but always a new one for each session). DON'T use it while the bodywork is hot. And always use plenty of lube. I use AG "Rapid Detailer".

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #503
One word of caution: I've used a Farecla clay mitt for many years now (but always a new one for each session). DON'T use it while the bodywork is hot. And always use plenty of lube. I use AG "Rapid Detailer".
That's great John, that you let us know you need plenty of lube. ;)

I just use Bilt-Hamber Clay bars - no need for clay-lube. Only water required.

Although I found yesterday - using the wash bucket with autoglym shampoo in it did a wonderful job.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
What did you think of the double speed wax Allan?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #505
What did you think of the double speed wax Allan?

I think the results speak for themselves fella ;)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I think the results speak for themselves fella ;)
Not so much the results. I can see it looks good.

More like the user experience. I always found it easy to apply but not so easy to buff off.

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
Not so much the results. I can see it looks good.

More like the user experience. I always found it easy to apply but not so easy to buff off.

Its easy to go on with a damp applicator. Buffing off - it can catch on the MF cloth. I found on each area, light wiping pressure worked well then increasing pressure to remove the remainder worked well.

Reactions: JayF

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #509 (Edited)
Lovely job Allan , did you get front bumper done as I had mares last night knowing you didn’t get to it yesterday.
I did and didn't.

I got the Chip-Ex added to the affected areas, but I'm not sure if will work. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow.

I can't seem to get the paint level with the top of the lacquer.

I'm debating filling in the top with some clear gloss lacquer and using the blending solution (toluene) to flatten it off.

Edited - couldn't remember the correct chemical name for the thinner used.

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
That might be and idea Allan.
I noticed with a bigger chip that rubbing the paint too much tended to take the colour out of it, maybe the lacquer traetment would be better.
I'll dig it out later and try some lacquer on top of a blob of paint to see what happens with the belnding solution.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
I touched mine up . Plan will be to lightly wet sand until level using 2000 > 2500 > 3000 and then buff with my drill pad combo and some compound . Another idea I have tried successfully is mixing the clear with the base coat and apply that way,

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
Did you have any success mixing the clear coat with the base?

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Yes I did , mixed it 3 :1 base lacquer . Only for stone chips mind.

On the last coat fill so it’s just proud , then whilst paint is still wet use a razor blade laid flat to remove the excess and make level if that makes sense.

Heres the video I got the technique from :

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
So it's just been over a year since I went to Wigan to pick up v3.

No regrets whatsoever buying this car.

Its a thirsty bugger - but thats me being a throttle tart.

Still makes me smile on a cold start, and more so when giving it the beans.

Comfort, tech and pace. It's not a V8, but it's still a great engine, in a great car.

Summer was great, when I could take off the eco and winter modes and really start exploring what the car can do - on a private race track obvs.

The warranty runs out on the 12th Nov, and I put a lot of thought into letting it expire and tuning the car.

Ultimately - no. I decdied today to extend the warranty - with all the pros and cons that go with that.

Peace of mind. I'm loving this car - and I'd hate for something very expensive to go pop shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #518 (Edited)
Aye, that was a bit short sighted that article.

Real world - the Diesel is a peachy engine and the sweet spot for economy versus performance.
When I went to look at buying a new XF-S 5 years ago, I really wanted the s/c engine to shine - and it didn't. I've wrote before that the diesel even sounded better. In the end I walked away - as the prices for a new car were silly.

That said - the petrol itch needed scratching for me.
So I'm glad that I got the s/c engine. This one also sounds a lot better than the one I test drove 5 yrs back. Have Jaguar made any adjustments? Not that I know of. All I know is that this engine sounds better than the test drives I had, and the diesel I owned for 18 months. This is also only one man's opinion in that article.

I'm still very happy overall with v3, and will be keeping it for as long as it keeps putting a smile on my face!

In other news - the car is booked in with a local detailer for an 'enhancement detail' (he says it's in good condition and well looked after already),

the looking for a ceramic to go on top for protection. Choices at the moment are Zvizzer or G-Techniq. I'm leaning towards the G-Techniq.

Reactions: Statler

·
19,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
Ha - Is that from the dealership last year, or is it up for sale again?

Can't see the HUD on the dash?!?!?!?!

But the tag holder for the easytrip toll payment is still attached to the windscreen.....

501 - 520 of 648 Posts