Jaguar Forum banner

XFR-S Upgraded Air Intake

22K views 67 replies 18 participants last post by  08292 
#1 ·
I really wanted to hear the supercharger more, so with that in mind I removed the engine cover and under-bonnet insulation, but this didn’t make much difference. I could just about hear it from a standing start, but soon after the exhaust would drown it out.

I also fitted a stainless steel intake pipe as many though the standard pipe, with its built in silencers, was also to blame for the silent supercharger. It didn’t make any difference.

So the only thing left to do was to swap out the factory air boxes with some cone filters. On the later 5.0 V8 Jaguar changed the MAF sensor slightly. It still bolts into the air box but it has around a 20mm lip on the inside, perfect for clamping an air filter on.

So I measured up to see what filters would fit and I ended up with a pair of Ramair filters.

Instantly it came to life! The supercharger noise was released!

https://youtu.be/gaS7y_fGaeI

Took her for a spin and you can really here it.

https://youtu.be/42I8V-_n1D0

So pleased with the noise, it sounded fantastic on the track yesterday just a shame my cameras failed and you can’t hear it.

https://youtu.be/PdIGwxPTCtc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds almost electric.
Has the improved air intake had any noticeable effect on performance?

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

#3 ·
Nothing noticeable. :)

#5 ·
Please don’t touch factory installed air filter boxes, the genuine filters work the best than any other comes aftermarket.

The JLR engineers install plastic air intakes according plastic is better cooling than metal, so with installation of metal intake you kill yours self a few horse power :)

If you need to hear Supercharger - take of it and make customization of Supercharger chamber.

The only wise solution was removing plastic cover from Supercharger :) in SVR, Project7 and Project8 it’s absent and with correct tune your engine becoming 595hp with factory installed components.

#6 ·
I haven’t finished with the air intake yet. I need to box off the filters from the engine and installed gold heat reflective tape on the stainless pipe. I have no doubt it will be better than the factory installed intake once finished.

#9 ·
You just waste your money and time... the Jaguar AJ133 intakes are masterpiece, you just make worse... Jaguar with AJ133 isn’t the VAG with 2.0 TSI :)

You not the first who trying to this, if you need increase cooling, than install louvres as was installed in XKR-GT

#8 ·
Reduces heat soak.

#14 ·
You post photo of P8 intake, now check with your X250, did you see too much difference?

Why they keep plastic intakes? For reduce noises? For make it cheaper?

The main difference is huge hole in carbon bonnet for increasing cooling.

Your air boxes and air intake has a good cooling with factory installed bumper and bonnet louvres. On this components possible to make 600hp on your X250 with all factory installed components.

#15 ·
But as I said repeatedly, I didn’t install this for a power upgrade and I certainly wasn’t going to pay someone to remove the supercharger and modify it. That’s just crazy and would cost a lot more than £200.

#16 ·
Again, for £200 all that you do is just increase heat in intake and that’s all. Please watch again on P8 photo, the same intake as your.
Just try to believe me, there was the time than I construct almost 600hp on mine Cayenne 957 with a lot intake and exhaust modification. The biggest waste of money was intake with aluminum air intake and other tuning air intake stuff.

#24 ·
It’s widely known that after market air intakes often lose power through heatsoak , and also less efficient flow from bonnet intakes vs the car designer set up. Can also mess with MAFs I’d over oiled filters are used.
However the aim here is purely noise and willing to sacrifice the power....which the OP accepts.
The result is what he’s after, so with some heat protection added, it won’t be too bad, but will look and sound great!

#25 ·
I didn’t say I was willing to sacrifice power, I just wasn’t looking for a power increase. I just think that once I’ve finished the setup, there won’t be any heatsoak to worry about. These filters are also not oiled so no issues there. The factory cold air feeds are still in place and once finished, they’ll be connected to the barrier in much the same way at the factory boxes.

#26 ·
Chris, I saw somewhere a photo of the engine bay of the XE Project 8 "Ring Taxi" (but for the life of me I can't find it any more!), and they had done exactly as you have done - replaced the stock air boxes with cone filters. I think they also installed some (but not a lot) of deflector panels around the cones to reduce the pick up of hot engine air. If it's good enough for them then it should be OK for us!
If cone filters work on the Project 8 and on your XFR-S then they should work even better on the F-Type seeing as it's intake openings/snorkels are down low behind the grill and not up behind the lights. It seems the main problem with fitting cone filters to an otherwise stock intake system on the F-Type is to figure out a way to hold them firmly in place so they don't wobble around, which may mean that special brackets need to be fabricated.
There is a fair bit of talk on the Yank F-Type forum about the Eventuri after-market intake system. It also uses cone filters and it's a high quality product made from mainly carbon fibre. Problem is it is massively expensive and there are mixed reports on any increase in SC whine and/or performance, otherwise I would have bought and fitted one by now.
If your cone filters work as well as you suspect they will regards no loss of performance then I will think about going that route as well (especially seeing as the OEM air filters are due for replacement soon), I just need to solve the mounting issue.

#27 ·
Cheers Kim, it was that photo P8 I was looking for but couldn’t find it from my quick search. It’s where I got the idea of the baffles from to reduce the heat soak, I just need to fabricate them.

I saw that Eventuri kit for the F-Type when I was planning this upgrade. It does come with the custom brackets to secure them. Maybe you can find someone with the kit who will help you copy them? Theo kit is a thing of beauty indeed. I may even go down the carbon fibre route as a mk2 upgrade. I know a few carbon fibre manufacturers.

#28 ·
is it possible to relocate the air filters in front of the front wheels? its an old trick I learnt from my 214 turbo conversion and makes a massive difference as it removed the heat soak from the engine bay. acts like a makeshift air box with the wheel cowl, body, and the bumper protecting it from heat, the front grilles in the bumper either side can then be removed and replaced with mesh to allow a cold air feed...

#29 ·
I don’t think there is room. There is a cooler behind the front bumper on either side.

#31 ·
That’s more or less that I’m going to make. The shielding around the cone filter then connection of the factory cold air feed.

#36 ·
So who made them? It’s not been out long enough.

#43 ·
What benefit wouldn’t they get from a pay to
Ride taxi at the ‘Ring though? Mommy better spent on fuel.

#45 ·
Well two years on and just refitted it after the service last week.

Two years of no issues, no heat soak problems, nothing different other than being able to hear the supercharger whine. Exactly what I wanted.

#46 ·
I do still want to make some sort of enclosure around the filters though. Just haven’t had time to do it yet.

#50 ·
I do still want to make some sort of enclosure around the filters though. Just haven’t had time to do it yet.
Any particular reason why Chris?

#48 ·
I have. Using an OBD reader. I can’t remember the exact figure but there wasn’t much in it.

#53 ·
I really wanted to hear the supercharger more, so with that in mind I removed the engine cover and under-bonnet insulation, but this didn’t make much difference. I could just about hear it from a standing start, but soon after the exhaust would drown it out.

I also fitted a stainless steel intake pipe as many though the standard pipe, with its built in silencers, was also to blame for the silent supercharger. It didn’t make any difference.

So the only thing left to do was to swap out the factory air boxes with some cone filters. On the later 5.0 V8 Jaguar changed the MAF sensor slightly. It still bolts into the air box but it has around a 20mm lip on the inside, perfect for clamping an air filter on.

So I measured up to see what filters would fit and I ended up with a pair of Ramair filters.

Instantly it came to life! The supercharger noise was released!

Took her for a spin and you can really here it.

So pleased with the noise, it sounded fantastic on the track yesterday just a shame my cameras failed and you can’t hear it.

Hi Chris, can I pick your brains with regards to your intake pipe ? I take it the pipe is a mina gallery intake ? I've tried to fit 1 to my xfr today and the fitment is pants a I've fitted ramair cone filters but the pipe don't sit right near the air box on the drivers side ? It looks like your one has been modified so the filters sit better in place ?

Attachments

#54 ·
Mine isn’t a Mina. It was made by a company in Germany I think. I bought it from someone off Facebook.

#55 ·
BB

#56 ·
That has the adapters for early cars where the MAF is built into the air box.