Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,914 Posts
Edge in SAE 0W20 STJLR.51.5122 or 03.5006 is big money, Don't really fancy Fuchs, never heard of them
Fuch is Silkolene, possibly one of the best you can buy.

I've used this instead of Selenia in the little scamp.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Edge in SAE 0W20 STJLR.51.5122 or 03.5006 is big money, Don't really fancy Fuchs, never heard of them
Am I missing something?

Castrol Edge in SAE 0W20 STJLR.51.5122 is available from between about £9 - £12 per litre.

The Equivalent Fuchs (Titan GT1 Evo 0W20 Premium Performance Engine Oil) is £44 for 4 litres (£8.80 per litre)

Why would anyone not be putting in the Jaguar advised/approved Castrol Edge, when the difference in price is less than £20 for a complete oil change?

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
I have rarely taken any notice of car manufacturer recommended oil brands - it is a commercial relationship, not a technical one. So long as an oil complies with the relevant spec, it will be good to use. Price is nowt to do with it, spec is all.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Am I missing something?

Castrol Edge in SAE 0W20 STJLR.51.5122 is available from between about £9 - £12 per litre.

The Equivalent Fuchs (Titan GT1 Evo 0W20 Premium Performance Engine Oil) is £44 for 4 litres (£8.80 per litre)

Why would anyone not be putting in the Jaguar advised/approved Castrol Edge, when the difference in price is less than £20 for a complete oil change?
Because the Fuchs oil is also the same type rating as the Castrol. The only difference is that Castrol has paid Jaguar to advertise their products on the under bonnet stickers, in the manuals and exclusive use in the dealerships. The contents of the actual oil is almost identical.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have rarely taken any notice of car manufacturer recommended oil brands - it is a commercial relationship, not a technical one. So long as an oil complies with the relevant spec, it will be good to use. Price is nowt to do with it, spec is all.
Agreed.
I have never ever ever used Castrol in my XFS, XFR or F-Type despite the JLR recommended oil, and I have never ever ever had an oil related engine problem!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok Ive gone for Fuchs Titan Supersyn F Eco-B 5W20 which meets STJLR.03.5004 and FORD WSS-M2C925-A and B
My engine best not blow up now 🙂
Because the Fuchs oil is also the same type rating as the Castrol. The only difference is that Castrol has paid Jaguar to advertise their products on the under bonnet stickers, in the manuals and exclusive use in the dealerships. The contents of the actual oil is almost identical.
I get all that, I really do but I’m just posing the question and saying personally I would not be happy taking the risk for the sake of saving £20 on a full engine oil change, something which is clearly on L80OUS’ mind when he says he hopes his engine doesn’t blow up now.

We all know that if there’s ever an issue then Jaguar are not going to pay up willingly and that’s even if you’ve used Castrol Edge, never mind something they haven’t approved...and you know damn well that Jaguar are going to test the oil as part of their investigation, one of the first things they will do!

It’s no different to an Insurance company refusing to pay out if you haven’t fitted a manufacturer spec / approved tyre from their publicised list and you have an accident.

No way is it worth the hassle or nagging doubts as far as I’m concerned.

·
Administrator
29,414 Posts
Insurers don't insist on specific brands of tyre, just the correct type, size, and load rating, and of course in a safe/legal condition. Same thing with oils! i.e. it is the spec that counts, not the brand.

But, of course, it is your money..............

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Interesting thought, if Jaguar blamed the oil for a catastrophic engine failure because it wasn't Castrol, then would Jaguar not be leaving themselves open to be used by the customer with a claim against the non-Castrol brand of oil? And if not that, then would that not then leave Jaguar open to be sued by the non-Castrol brand of oil for libel, the outcome of which would still always be in the favour of the customer because whoever loses will be responsible for the engine damage! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Insurers don't insist on specific brands of tyre, just the correct type, size, and load rating, and of course in a safe/legal condition. Same thing with oils! i.e. it is the spec that counts, not the brand.

But, of course, it is your money..............
Yes but there have been issues previously because people have written about them on Piston Heads on Bimmer and on Merc Forums and particularly on a Porsche Forum that I am a member of. No way would I ever risk it, too much agg for the sake of a few pounds.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have to agree with Wilf, Kim and others. As much as Jaguar recommend Castrol (and that’s what I use for top ups) at my last service with Sturgess they used Petronas oil that matched the older 5122 spec.

When I was calling my local dealers for a top up bottle, MK were selling the newer Castrol 5006 whereas Watford and Staples Corner were selling Mobil 1 (5122).

I found the same with VAG dealerships previously, they just buy whatever they can get at the cheapest price as long as it’s to spec.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I have to agree with Wilf, Kim and others. As much as Jaguar recommend Castrol (and that’s what I use for top ups) at my last service with Sturgess they used Petronas oil that matched the older 5122 spec.

When I was calling my local dealers for a top up bottle, MK were selling the newer Castrol 5006 whereas Watford and Staples Corner were selling Mobil 1 (5122).

I found the same with VAG dealerships previously, they just buy whatever they can get at the cheapest price as long as it’s to spec.
Phoenix Honda in Glasgow put standard 5W30 in everything. I asked what oil they'd put in my 2.4i Accord and they said it would be the 5W30, apparently overhead nozzles they use pump the exact amount required from storage tanks. Only problem is that the 2.4i Accord demanded 0W20. A little disappointing but it just added another nail in the main dealership coffin.

·
Banned
70 Posts

they have changed the oil spec Saqib It now ends with 934b 5w20 for castrol and is still available in the UK on some sites. other oils are shell etc. for a more detailed discussion check out the more informed jaguarforums american site . some also use 0w20 again much deliberations to what is best

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
they have changed the oil spec Saqib It now ends with 934b 5w20 for castrol and is still available in the UK on some sites. other oils are shell etc. for a more detailed discussion check out the more informed jaguarforums american site . some also use 0w20 again much deliberations to what is best
Hi Doug, the 934b was the old Ford spec.

The JLR ones end in 5122, 5006 etc

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,578 Posts
Ok Ive gone for Fuchs Titan Supersyn F Eco-B 5W20 which meets STJLR.03.5004 and FORD WSS-M2C925-A and B
My engine best not blow up now 🙂
I get all that, I really do but I’m just posing the question and saying personally I would not be happy taking the risk for the sake of saving £20 on a full engine oil change, something which is clearly on L80OUS’ mind when he says he hopes his engine doesn’t blow up now.

We all know that if there’s ever an issue then Jaguar are not going to pay up willingly and that’s even if you’ve used Castrol Edge, never mind something they haven’t approved...and you know damn well that Jaguar are going to test the oil as part of their investigation, one of the first things they will do!

It’s no different to an Insurance company refusing to pay out if you haven’t fitted a manufacturer spec / approved tyre from their publicised list and you have an accident.

No way is it worth the hassle or nagging doubts as far as I’m concerned.
A recommendation is just that, no company is allowed to monopolise any aspect of servicing. As long as it meets the specification (very different to the recommendation) thats what matters. They may well try to counter argue, but it would be quickly shown as an irrelevant point. Anyhow, only relevant for those with the warranty and with the age of XFRs now most will be outside of the warranty period or close to, unless they’ve chosen to extend.

Without any official notice about the chains being an issue any case would be hard pushed at this point to hold the manufacturer accountable.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Didn't Toyota in America specify that only their oil from their dealerships can be used in one of their cars, might have been a Hybrid, and if you don't then they wouldn't cover any warranty? I can't remember exactly but I'm sure I read that due to competition laws or something Toyota were forced to provide the oil to customers for free.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
How the hell would the dealer or anyone know what brand of oil you've put in the engine. Surely any analysis could only determine the characteristics and rheology. Not whether it was Shell or Castrol or whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,578 Posts
Didn't Toyota in America specify that only their oil from their dealerships can be used in one of their cars, might have been a Hybrid, and if you don't then they wouldn't cover any warranty? I can't remember exactly but I'm sure I read that due to competition laws or something Toyota were forced to provide the oil to customers for free.
Perhaps, I can’t recall seeing it, but precisely my point, monopolisation isn’t allowed which is why they were forced to provide it I imagine. Although US law may not be exactly the same... there were revisions to it in the UK focusing on leases, as it has become much more popular it became apparent that dealers were forcing cars to be maintained by themselves, so it was corrected.

From what I can see in previous posts, JLR also provided free oil top ups on the XFR in its infancy. Perhaps this was why, but that’s conjecture

·
Registered
2010 XFR Ultimate Black
1,578 Posts
How the hell would the dealer or anyone know what brand of oil you've put in the engine. Surely any analysis could only determine the characteristics and rheology. Not whether it was Shell or Castrol or whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺
When they’d ask for proof of work being carried out and that the parts used met the required specification. Quite how practicable that is for most, I think it’s probably not and what manufacturers rely on.

As if you approached them to pay for the fault you’d have to have at least reasonable proof that it was their fault for the failure. Outside of the warranty you’d basically have to categorically prove it was their fault, and I sincerely doubt that would be possible with all of the variables that exist.

In a warranty claim, depending on the coverage of the warranty, you’d still likely be questioned in regards to the maintenance of the car.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have read that the special Castrol Unobtainium has a purple dye in it and that is how JLR dealerships and workshops can tell if it or something else is in the engine.

·
19,872 Posts
I know NATO aircraft use perfumed and dyed hydraulic oil to assist in leak detection, easier to spot and smell.

So could be possible that dealers are putting specific oils in their vehicles.

That does bring up the points of free choice of competition and matching standards though.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts