Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Didnt know whether to post this in engine or suspension forum as thats part of my question.

I recently bought a high mileage XFR (110k miles). It has an annoying driveline thump/clunk when accelerating or letting off, even normal driving. I can feel it in the floor of the car.

From my experience with mustangs I suspect diff bushings or maybe the driveshaft. The guibo and trans mount look pretty new (not 110k miles).

Anyone else ever experienced this? Before I start throwing parts at it.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Diffs are the normal culprits, but they whine normally. Need to eliminate the propshaft.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if anyone with higher miles ever replaced the rubber diff mounts? They are available as separate items and normally wear on other rwd cars.

I dont think its the diff internals, the ring and pinion backlash would occur from standstill, not getting on and off gas, that keeps the gears still spinning in the same direction.

·
Administrator
30,009 Posts
Not engine or gearbox mounts? I would have a good look at the rear gearbox X member and its mounts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same thing and have narrowed it down to drive shafts... maybe lol. Over the past 4yrs I have replaced all susspension bushes, prop shaft and doughnut , had a low mileage trans fitted ( due to other issues) and a diff and still have the knock sound. All the mounts have been check but play in the drive shafts has been noted. I love my Xfr but it’s cost me a fortune 😃

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is another possibility. Does this occur all the time or only with a full fuel tank? When I have a full tank I get a fairly loud thud on accel/decel as the fuel slushes back and forth and the tank hits the car body.

I believe there is an official fix for this where absorbent foam is fed into the tank to damp the fuel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same thing and have narrowed it down to drive shafts... maybe lol. Over the past 4yrs I have replaced all susspension bushes, prop shaft and doughnut , had a low mileage trans fitted ( due to other issues) and a diff and still have the knock sound. All the mounts have been check but play in the drive shafts has been noted. I love my Xfr but it’s cost me a fortune 😃
That's not very hopeful :LOL::LOL:
I'm used to a little agriculturalness in mustangs, but in a jag it's annoying.

Tank is half full atm, but it def feel like something solid thumping about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts