Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have experience with the coolant capacity of the XFR? Workshop manual and several other places list 12,3L, but I've seen 13,2 and 13,4 too.

Problem is, I replaced all the brittle plastics while I had the blower off, cleaned all the radiators, and vacuumed some old coolant from the engine block. Filled everything back up with 12,5L, and still had to top up almost another liter (so 13+ total) in the days after a few heatcycles.

Now we are feverishly looking for a leak, but can't find or smell any. Have the system pressurized tonight, see whats up tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
If there’s nothing coming out, then no worries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes and no, could also be going inside the engine. Its just strange that I added more than the workshop manual sais.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Do a pressure test??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do a pressure test??
Did overnight. Lost a few mm from the reservoir. Pressure dropped because of the attachment we reckon.

Exhaust smells normal, no white clouds. There's no leak to be found anywhere in the engine bay.

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
Relax then, use it and just keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

My RRS used to lose 1/2 litre of coolant between services, no leak ever found. Dealer told me it must be down to "evaporation". I invited them to go back to school.................... :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Relax then, use it and just keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

My RRS used to lose 1/2 litre of coolant between services, no leak ever found. Dealer told me it must be down to "evaporation". I invited them to go back to school.................... :rolleyes:
The dealer loosened something on purpose to make you feel at home 😁

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I had a 4.6 P38 Rangie that would mysteriously lose 1/2 litre of coolant between services, no external leak, no internal leak traced, no loss of pressure on a pressure test.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Between services is fine, but I was losing half a litre on a 10 mile trip.

Seems to have settled though. Here's the before and after from yesterday and now, 20 miles driving yesterday.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Seems to have settled. But we did add another litre yesterday, so if it's been burping itself ever since we bolted it back together, it took about 6 heat cycles and more than 14,5 Litres total as opposed to the 12,3 the workshop manual quotes.

Going to keep driving and checking in the following days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts