Jaguar Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
I've changed calipers on several cars over the years and never had a problem. Even when fitting the 355mm calipers to my old R-Sport never made a difference to brake balance, that I could tell at least.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I'm guessing were talking changing from a standard fitment to a custom setup. Pretty sure all the XFs are interchangeable without doing anything with the master cylinder and will be sized accordingly.

Brake fluid isn't, or at least shouldn't be compressible so I dare say the difference will be negligible at most.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
I'm guessing were talking changing from a standard fitment to a custom setup. Pretty sure all the XFs are interchangeable without doing anything with the master cylinder and will be sized accordingly.
Possibly. but usually bigger custom calipers actually don't require much more fluid that stock, often the pistons are smaller just spread over a bigger area providing the better braking performance. I don't know anyone with aftermarket brakes on a modern JLR product that has needed to change the master cylinder.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Also I would suggest if you're wanting to "race" an XFR then I'd probably want to do some weight shedding first. It's a big heavy lump.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Possibly. but usually bigger custom calipers actually don't require much more fluid that stock, often the pistons are smaller just spread over a bigger area providing the better braking performance. I don't know anyone with aftermarket brakes on a modern JLR product that has needed to change the master cylinder.
I'd agree with that, I don't think there will be a huge difference unless you're doing something really exotic (wilwood etc).

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
Even if the piston area is larger, most of the time you will only feel a bit more pedal travel, which will also assist with progressive braking if the pad/disc contact area is a lot larger

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
As an aside, I've never seen the attraction of putting performance/racing pads on a road-going car. By their very nature they will be "grabby" at low speed.
In the "Harry's Garage" vid that someone has recently posted on here where he's reviewing the 2020 M5, he says the brakes make it a very unpleasant drive.
(Apparently, BMW have improved this on the 2021 model . . . . Dave. :D )

·
Administrator
28,515 Posts
I meant the "swept volume" really - i.e. how much fluid was needed per mm of caliper movement.

·
Super Moderator
28,673 Posts
As an aside, I've never seen the attraction of putting performance/racing pads on a road-going car. By their very nature they will be "grabby" at low speed.
In the "Harry's Garage" vid that someone has recently posted on here where he's reviewing the 2020 M5, he says the brakes make it a very unpleasant drive.
(Apparently, BMW have improved this on the 2021 model . . . . Dave. :D )
Those were the Carbon brakes (an £8k option) and as you say, more suited for the track than the road.

my car has conventional steel rotors 😁

Reactions: OBC John

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I read/watched about some coated brake discs a while ago. I think they were possibly ceramic coated and maybe on an Audi R8. Not full carbon ceramic, but a very thin layer on the surface of the standard steel discs. They were somewhere in between the cost of a carbon ceramic setup and standard steel.

Edit :

They were on a Porsche, and coated with tungsten carbide (like you'd get on machining tools).

Cheaper than carbon ceramic, but last much much longer than a standard disc.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
A friend of mine asked me to "frighten her" by driving her Scoobie WRX STi. I obliged, hurtling into the first roundabout at some crazy speed only to find the bakes were total shite, no feel to the pedal and worse, hardly and braking effect despite me standing on the pedal. Frighten her it did, and me. She'd been talked into having full race pads fitted which of course were cold. I removed them and threw them in the bin.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
And learnt yourself that the key to going fast is to go slow first 😂

41 - 52 of 52 Posts