Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite having only put new discs and pads on my car 4k miles ago, it looks like I might need to do it again as whilst I've been keeping the car out of the salt, the brakes haven't enjoyed having a rest.

I took the car out today but after only a couple of hundred yards turned around as the brakes felt horrendous. They freed off with a bang when initially moving away but when braking there is a horrendous vibration through the car and you can feel the pedal going up and down when braking gently at slow speed. It feels as if there's a chunk of pad stuck to the back of the disc and the pistons are going in and out whilst braking.

I fitted genuine discs and pads to my car and have hated the amount of brake dust they've created since day 1 so I'm going to strip them down and investigate at a minimum. Given that the car has 500bhp, the brakes have always seemed a little underwhelming too. Given that LR were fitting 4 pot Brembo's in 2007 and in 2009 moved over to 6 pot Brembo's, I'm surprised the XFR only has twin piston calipers on it.

Will the RR 6 pots bolt onto the hubs on the XFR or are major modifications required? I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts as if I'm going to have to buy discs and pads, I'd rather do a proper job on it.

Thanks,
David.

·
Super Moderator
28,528 Posts
YellowStuff is good enough. But to be honest your brakes probably just need a good run. Get them warmed up and some heavy braking cycles.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're probably right, but it's always fun over thinking things :D

I've ordered an orbital sander to go on the compressor so I'll give them a good strip down and lubricate everything. My calipers are starting to loose some of the red paint so if there was a bolt on 6 pot upgrade it would be quite nice :)

David.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
771 Posts
One of my fellow countrymen also removed his guidey slidey pins, then also the rubber grommet they revolve in, and reamed the orifice of the casting gently to remove any corrodification therein which could tighten the bore of said rubber grommet. He was akin to a dog with two willies thereafter as it improved matters.
Edit......next time get a perra Pagid discs, which come well primed with paint for your pads to clean them. Other areas remain painted and non-corrodified.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had problems with Pagid discs warping in the past so I usually try and avoid them.

I'll give them a strip down this week if I can and see what's what.

David.

·
Super Moderator
28,528 Posts
My EBC disks are coated as well.

I had MTEC disks on my old car that were also coated.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
771 Posts
Usually find their discs OK, but a Toyota Forum mate recently had a delaminated pad of Pagid’s. He used to be on here.......Charlie Farlie.

·
Super Moderator
28,819 Posts
Despite having only put new discs and pads on my car 4k miles ago, it looks like I might need to do it again as whilst I've been keeping the car out of the salt, the brakes haven't enjoyed having a rest.

I took the car out today but after only a couple of hundred yards turned around as the brakes felt horrendous. They freed off with a bang when initially moving away but when braking there is a horrendous vibration through the car and you can feel the pedal going up and down when braking gently at slow speed. It feels as if there's a chunk of pad stuck to the back of the disc and the pistons are going in and out whilst braking.

I fitted genuine discs and pads to my car and have hated the amount of brake dust they've created since day 1 so I'm going to strip them down and investigate at a minimum. Given that the car has 500bhp, the brakes have always seemed a little underwhelming too. Given that LR were fitting 4 pot Brembo's in 2007 and in 2009 moved over to 6 pot Brembo's, I'm surprised the XFR only has twin piston calipers on it.

Will the RR 6 pots bolt onto the hubs on the XFR or are major modifications required? I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts as if I'm going to have to buy discs and pads, I'd rather do a proper job on it.

Thanks,
David.
Just scrub them in, I would suggest that you have some pad contamination on the disc, if they have seen such little service, it would be premature to change them just yet

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I've had problems with Pagid discs warping in the past so I usually try and avoid them.

I'll give them a strip down this week if I can and see what's what.

David.
Me too. Awful Pads.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Remember, when you park up for a long time, not to apply the parking brake. In gear or P should be fine. The bang when you first started off would have been because the rear pads had stuck to the discs, as you probably guessed. Leaving the parking brake off helps with this.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been sat with the handbrake off. It was the front brakes that came off with a bang, not the rear.

David.

·
Super Moderator
28,819 Posts
It's been sat with the handbrake off. It was the front brakes that came off with a bang, not the rear.

David.
They will be fine, it’s a heavy vat, it will soon scrub them up

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've ordered an orbital sander to clean everything up so will give them a good clean up and put some fresh anti seize on the pads before using it. It won't do it any harm :)

David.

·
Super Moderator
28,819 Posts
I've ordered an orbital sander to clean everything up so will give them a good clean up and put some fresh anti seize on the pads before using it. It won't do it any harm :)

David.
You can get the discs dressed without removing them from the car, not sure on cost though

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I've been looking at AF multi piston setups but options seem few and far between. I've seen some Asian firms produce kits but still not cheap.

I'm getting my calipers and carriers professionally painted this year and was wondering if I could get a more modern set up as IMO the calipers on the XFR really let it down. I think we the amount of miles I'm doing now I will just go for a repaint. I have mtec coated discs on the rear and a brand new set up mtec coated for the fronts waiting to be fitted.

Regards cleaning up the discs a person I know got a tool that fitted on the hub and very lightly skimmed the discs. From memory it was from ebay and whilst build quality was not brilliant it did the job well on several car's.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wondered about the multi piston upgrades as well rather then the big single piston calipers that are on it as standard. I’ll get the discs off it and see what they look like and go from there. If they look a mess I’ll see what I can do or will replace them. Don’t fancy taking a risk with brakes.

Once I’ve sorted it out, I’ll grease the discs up :D That’s got to be good for another 50bhip, right!? :D

Reactions: PeteA and drewdrew

·
Super Moderator
28,819 Posts
I've been looking at AF multi piston setups but options seem few and far between. I've seen some Asian firms produce kits but still not cheap.

I'm getting my calipers and carriers professionally painted this year and was wondering if I could get a more modern set up as IMO the calipers on the XFR really let it down. I think we the amount of miles I'm doing now I will just go for a repaint. I have mtec coated discs on the rear and a brand new set up mtec coated for the fronts waiting to be fitted.

Regards cleaning up the discs a person I know got a tool that fitted on the hub and very lightly skimmed the discs. From memory it was from ebay and whilst build quality was not brilliant it did the job well on several car's.
Spires used to offer an upgrade, but they aren’t cheap.

I never found the brakes as lacking on my XFR, granted they are big and low tech, but they can easily activate the ABS, the only time they would be a problem is with brake fade on a track

·
Super Moderator
28,528 Posts
I'd imagine the Wortec might make a kit, in fact I know they will. They make upgraded disks. Don't expect much change from £4000 though.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
The XFR brakes from a practical point of view work fine for me. I will do open track days but only once a year if that. Its really the looks that let they down, just look at those huge read discs with a small caliper on it. My wife's 135i msport brakes look great in comparison.

·
Super Moderator
28,819 Posts
The XFR brakes from a practical point of view work fine for me. I will do open track days but only once a year if that. Its really the looks that let they down, just look at those huge read discs with a small caliper on it. My wife's 135i msport brakes look great in comparison.
The XFR front calipers are twin piston, the MSport calipers are 4 pot

1 - 20 of 52 Posts