Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Quick question - do you drop the bonnet to close or push yours? I was looking through the manual last night which says to push but ive been told by a dent removal guy in the past to always drop a bonnet closed as you risk denting it.

Dropping it closed on my xfr however seems quite "clangy" and loose and just not as solid closing as my 440i I had when I dropped that closed.

Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I drop from about 8 inches. Never had an issue.

I'd agree with the dent man, too much of a chance of bending something, let gravity do the work.

Reactions: Panthro

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yep, always droped mined due to risk of damaging bonnet when pressing.

As long as the bonnet lines up, on both sides with it being two latches, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
18,476 Posts
Another for dropping here. Not too high though. As Phil says - about 8" or so is fine enough.

Reactions: Panthro and FCS

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
I've always pushed. Hands positioned over the latches. MF towel between hands and bonnet if it's just been washed.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Dropper here.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Drop

But make sure you drop evenly. I’ve noticed that not doing it evenly on the F-Pace can sometimes result in one latch not catching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panthro and FCS

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've always pushed. Hands positioned over the latches. MF towel between hands and bonnet if it's just been washed.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Agree with John, I use the same method, never come close to denting the bonnet in nearly 12 years. Phil

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I was told to always do the 12" drop for the bonnet, as it is aluminium. Always worked for me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I think that it probably doesn't matter. It's just what I've always done :geek:

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
On a slight tangent, does anyone find that sometimes the gas struts clip into position on the foam supports and other times it doesn't? Sometimes when I open the bonnet, I get a double clunk as they flop back, other times not.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Agree with John, I use the same method, never come close to denting the bonnet in nearly 12 years. Phil
Same thing here - always gently push closed the bonnets of both my XFs. Can't quite see how one could manage to dent it by pushing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts