Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I used to own a XF 3.0D (2009 model) some years ago and registered then. So many moons later an I am considering a XFR 100 edition with the reg of SD11CWN (UK). It's a high miles car but has FSH and immaculate condition. It also has some upgrades such as Spires pipe, Pulley and ECU flash.

Is this car known to anyone here? Anything to consider with these? The price is good (I think) for what it is, loved the short test drive earlier today. Just need to pull the trigger (or not).

Thanks

·
Registered
18,473 Posts
Dealer or private sale?

·
Super Moderator
11,366 Posts
Originated in Scotland as the reg starts with a 'S'. Don't know anything else about it though I'm afraid.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Personally I’d leave a modded car alone, especially one with the pulley done.

Reactions: Jimbov8

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you’re happy with it do it.

Assume you’ll get dealership warranty with it. Would be worth taking your own out once it expires.

You’ll know as it’s been modded it’s probably been driven heavily. But as you say if it drives great, no unusual noises and the body is clean then go for it!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree it can be a concern however they are mods id probably have wanted to do. The car is very quick, unless its been tracked, you cant use this on the road (at least, I dont think to the extent that would harm the car). Of course, previous owners could have sat at the lights smoking the rear tyres every chance they got. The car looks too clean for this (but looks can be deceiving) - hence hoping I could find someone that might have owned the car before.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Thanks, can I ask why?
Depends on the pulley if it’s a 6% or 10%. I’ve seen the leftovers of modded engines. I don’t think these need modding. You rarely use the power it came with so why need more, other than quoting what it has on a forum or in a pub. Unless it‘s dry warm and on Michelin PS4S then it’ll struggle with more regardless of what people say.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on the pulley if it’s a 6% or 10%. I’ve seen the leftovers of modded engines. I don’t think these need modding. You rarely use the power it came with so why need more, other than quoting what it has on a forum or in a pub. Unless it‘s dry warm and on Michelin PS4S then it’ll struggle with more regardless of what people say.
Thanks. I did see the receipts, pulley was £155 + labour and ECU map. There was also a rolling dyno print out but didnt take too much notice of the detail. Under correction I think its running 580 BHP now and about 80-100 more Torks :)

I agree, they must be quick in standard form, this was blistering. I appreciate the sound and some of the pops and bangs, its not all about the BHP. The character is 'playful'.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Thanks. I did see the receipts, pulley was £155 + labour and ECU map. There was also a rolling dyno print out but didnt take too much notice of the detail. Under correction I think its running 580 BHP now and about 80-100 more Torks :)

I agree, they must be quick in standard form, this was blistering. I appreciate the sound and some of the pops and bangs, its not all about the BHP. The character is 'playful'.
‘That’s too cheap for a quality map IMO. Personally, given the embedded issues in the engine, I’d walk.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
‘That’s too cheap for a quality map IMO. Personally, given the embedded issues in the engine, I’d walk.
Sorry, no, it was £155 for the pulley only. The total bill for the work was circa £850.

The exhaust was done by Spires.

·
Super Moderator
27,214 Posts
If your happy I’d say go for it. :)

Too many variables to know either way whether something is good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Curiously the MOT history is pretty good with passes for the last 6 years bar one fail on an insignificant point .i.e. lamp bulb. To me that would tend to suggest the car is well looked after albeit the yearly mileage does vary from circa 3k to 11k. Something odd occurred in 2017 when it was MOT'd in January and April with just 600 miles between the dates. I'd also say it did over 100K in its first 3 years! Quite a high miler but perhaps that's the reason it was bought in the first place.

Also had a baby seat fitted during some of the tests which might suggest a more careful driver assuming of course its been with the same owner since 2016.

As ever you can only guess or surmise but with a full history and hopefully with a cast iron used warrenty, it sounds as if it might be worth buying.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Curiously the MOT history is pretty good with passes for the last 6 years bar one fail on an insignificant point .i.e. lamp bulb. To me that would tend to suggest the car is well looked after albeit the yearly mileage does vary from circa 3k to 11k. Something odd occurred in 2017 when it was MOT'd in January and April with just 600 miles between the dates. I'd also say it did over 100K in its first 3 years! Quite a high miler but perhaps that's the reason it was bought in the first place.

Also had a baby seat fitted during some of the tests which might suggest a more careful driver assuming of course its been with the same owner since 2016.

As ever you can only guess or surmise but with a full history and hopefully with a cast iron used warrenty, it sounds as if it might be worth buying.
Well spotted.I saw the same. It does suggest good ownership, I agree. It sounds to have been a motorway **** as part of its life. The car is really immaculate. I struggled to find any marks - just some touchup on one door. The wheels are lovely (Draco), probably refurbished.

The car is just under £10K, so feels like good value. High miles, 5 owners but the price reflects this.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-19 at 10.11.02.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-19 at 10.11.02 (1).jpeg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this is the miles report. Not that many miles in the first few years.

• 143,072 miles on 15/01/2020
  • 132,004 miles on 04/01/2019
  • 128,125 miles on 16/01/2018
  • 126,061 miles on 24/04/2017
  • 125,455 miles on 18/01/2017
  • 119,359 miles on 05/01/2016
  • 111,000 miles on 09/03/2015
  • 109,576 miles on 19/12/2014
  • 103,316 miles on 09/01/2014
  • 103,315 miles on 18/11/2013
  • 99,378 miles on 04/09/2013
  • 93,815 miles on 17/07/2013
  • 82,227 miles on 22/03/2013
  • 75,289 miles on 03/01/2013
  • 62,593 miles on 31/08/2012
  • 60,754 miles on 13/08/2012
  • 56,918 miles on 16/07/2012
  • 46,285 miles on 27/04/2012
  • 33,266 miles on 09/01/2012
Last Keeper change was on 22/01/2020

Plate history.

• SD11 CWN
    Original Plate --> April 2019
  • GB07 SJP
    26th April 2019 --> 23rd December 2019
  • SD11 CWN
    23rd December 2019 --> 12th February 2020
  • EH08 SON
    12th February 2020 --> 26th August 2020
  • SD11 CWN
    26th August 2020 --> Current Plate

Something bugs me about this - plate change is often ownership change? How many owners since 2019?

Its a pity I did not take pics of the upgrade work for when that was - I think circa 2018 but might not be correct from memory.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A little confused when you say "not that many miles in the first few years" when in reality from 2011 to 2014 it has done 103000 miles unless of course you were being sarcastic. I think I too would be a little concerned by the rapid succession of new owners and their very short term ownership, perhaps each discovered something that they didn't like or in fairness it wasn't the car for them in the first place..
Clearly you have doubts and perhaps you should go with you gut and look elsewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A little confused when you say "not that many miles in the first few years" when in reality from 2011 to 2014 it has done 103000 miles unless of course you were being sarcastic. I think I too would be a little concerned by the rapid succession of new owners and their very short term ownership, perhaps each discovered something that they didn't like or in fairness it wasn't the car for them in the first place..
Clearly you have doubts and perhaps you should go with you gut and look elsewhere.
Sorry, miscalculated. Yes, higher miles in the first few years.

Ownership, yes, I think last owner for 10 months (considering C19 etc) is reasonable. Looking at these type of cars (I was looking at Cayenne Turbos before), they are often bought, then people realise they are expensive to run and the sell them.

My E60 M5 was the same. I bought that as a 'mid life crisis car' and didnt keep it long.

What type of 'failure' costs happen with these? I saw a lot of receipts, more recently water pump and some other stuff. What are the big ticket items that go wrong (lets say £1K upwards). I can do a lot of work myself, assuming no special tools needed etc. So that helps but of course not that keen to swing spanners anymore or have a car that needs constant TLC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The MOT history looks good on it, and the general condition looks okay too.

It would be nice to know if it's ever had the chain tensioners replaced. There are revised parts available as the original guides would wear out, probably before this mileage. If they were on the way out you may hear it rattle on start-up.

I've not been around these cars as long as other folk have on here, but other than that the main culprit on these cars tends to be coolant pipework.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The MOT history looks good on it, and the general condition looks okay too.

It would be nice to know if it's ever had the chain tensioners replaced. There are revised parts available as the original guides would wear out, probably before this mileage. If they were on the way out you may hear it rattle on start-up.

I've not been around these cars as long as other folk have on here, but other than that the main culprit on these cars tends to be coolant pipework.
Thanks, I seem to call seeing something similar in the receipts but not sure. A work colleague as a 4.2 XJR and he is doing the 'valley pipe' on that - same issue on the 5.0?

Cam tensions - DIY job realisically? I didnt hear the car cold, the dealer is per appointment only and arrived with the car. He doesnt keep much on his lot (apart from another side of their business which is vans etc). He has a 4.9 rating on Google and seems 'decent' if there is such a thing for a dealer (no offence meant).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts