Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in Ireland to replace cracked inlet manifold or even rough price to do the job? Was quoted 2,600 by an indy!
I'm guessing that was to do both sides but still...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi u need find different indy . I pay £254 for brand new inlet manifold ( rocker cover ) and my mechanic charge me £100 for changing is only 4 hours .

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Hi u need find different indy . I pay £254 for brand new inlet manifold ( rocker cover ) and my mechanic charge me £100 for changing is only 4 hours .
Not quite the same part unfortunately.

And £25 an hour is far too cheap for comfort for most!

·
Registered
4 Posts

I believe is the same part .That's mechanic is my friend. Normally he charge £35 an hour most different garages charge £800-1000 for change this part and I don't know why . To be honest with you guys you can do it yourself if u know a bit mechanical. I done with my mechanic and now when another one is gonna crack I am going to do my self .

·
Registered
18,258 Posts

I think it is the same part, Phil.
Tend to agree about the labour rate but seems he was charged "mates" rate.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Forgive me, I'm assuming he's only had one side done then? I was under the impression it's recommended to do both sides as access is easier while things are stripped down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what is a fair price for someone. Let's say both sides to be done, 400 parts and a grand cash labour?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
What Indy did you go to and where are you based in Ireland ?

i had my XJ done same engine one side for 750 Euro A couple of years ago. I think the part was only about 270 Euro. .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't really want to mention names online that wouldn't be right, I'm from Laois not far from the border of Carlow town

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Ok then I suggest you give Paul a call at Yomac Cars he’s based in Dublin and did mine. He will be able to provide you with a courtesy car. They are a Jag Indy and will be able to sort you out.

im not aware of any Jag indys in Laois or Carlow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Forgive me, I'm assuming he's only had one side done then? I was under the impression it's recommended to do both sides as access is easier while things are stripped down.
Hi Phil u don't have to stripping everything for change one side . If other is good is just wasting money. On this pic u can see is only half top off engine dismantle

·
Administrator
25,975 Posts
Hi Phil u don't have to stripping everything for change one side . If other is good is just wasting money. On this pic u can see is only half top off engine dismantle View attachment 182280
How can you possibly know the other side is good? The other side of mine failed 3 weeks after the first side ... fortunately Jaguar footed the post warranty bill.

My local Indy would have charged £1200 for both sides ... labour rates are around £60/hr which is less than half of JLR.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For parts, you can save some money. I bought both sides for £90 and was impressed with quality and packing.

I did both sides over weekend. Took me 16hr but I could save probably 5-6hours if did try to clean the hard to reach areas. If I do it second time it should take 8hrs. Doing both sides won’t save a huge amount of time. Maybe 1hr for a professional because:
-there is high pressure fuel line from left rail to right. If you do both sides, that move be free to move and save a lot of hassle.
-you have to remove throttle body for RH side which can save some time to do LH.
-secondary bulk head panel (under the windscreen) has to be removed for any side.

according to WM you have to move EGRs, drain coolant (that needs removal of under body and jacking the car up), remove air intake ducts, move turbo bypass valve, remove accessories drive belt, timing belt cover and many other steps that are “not“ needed at all. Those steps will not increase the quality of repair, increase repair time significantly and might cause other problems due to human error. I won’t be surprise if you find the garage that will do this repair for less than £500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How can you possibly know the other side is good? The other side of mine failed 3 weeks after the first side ... fortunately Jaguar footed the post warranty bill.

My local Indy would have charged £1200 for both sides ... labour rates are around £60/hr which is less than half of JLR.
Smoke test?
I tend to fix things when they break, not if they might

·
Registered
4 Posts

Those cover usually crack on top like my one and u can see the cover is wet from oil, aswel if u see oil around injectors then u know is that cover. I was change one about 10000 miles ago and the original is still good

·
18,508 Posts
Smoke test?
I tend to fix things when they break, not if they might
Understandable from a financial perspective.

Not good from a maintenance point of view though.
Preventention is better than cure - something I've worked to all my working life.

I'd rather choose when something gets replaced - rather than it letting me know at the point of failure, which knowing my luck, would be during a long journey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the logic in changing something that works and is doing what it’s supposed to do.
Serviceable items are things like oil, filters, tyres, etc
Using your way of thinking, folk would be changing bulbs because they might break, exhausts because they might leak, etc
These modern type manifolds are going to be perfectly fine for the life of the car in the vast majority of cars on the road. In your case, I think you were just unlucky, or the crack in the other manifold was’nt picked up with the other side at the time - which sounds likely

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree with Beevee but I also agree with the Stig and Rigger. I also like Rigger have spent most of my life in maintenance. Its knowing what to maintain. In the case of manifolds it is a known issue and what Stig says is the safe option. Riggers point is also completely valid. I suspect the manifolds crack under excess pressure (see hamed and my posts) If this is true then the pressure on the left will be similar to the right, hence even if one of them is not yet cracked it will have been stressed. If I am wrong then it will be a design fault which will show with age, vibration, etc. so same logic they are the same age. If you applied that logic to electronics, all electrolytic capacitors will fail eventually, if you find one leaky you change the lot. But you don't change chips and resistors. So I think you are all correct, even so I would change them both.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts