Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 XF V6 Diesel
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 XF. When I tried to open the bonnet nothing happened. I took the vehicle to my local mechanic who confirmed that the nearside bonnet release was seized. He was unable to reach the locks and contacted Jaguar technical. Their answer was it's not possible to reach them, the only answer was to cut through the bonnet destroying it in the process. Fortunately for me he didn't but spent seven hours dismantling the front of the car, replaced the cable and locks and put it back together. As you can imagine it was a large bill. He in fact said that he would not take on another XF with this problem. So my hindsight advice would be keep the bonnet catches well lubricated and if there is any sticking etc replace them. Hope this helps others out there.

·
Registered
22,317 Posts
Even if you destroyed the grille to gain access to the underside of the latches it would surely be cheaper than chopping into the bonnet.
Also, I'm sure if you drop the forward undertray and then remove all of the screws and fasteners of the front bumper, underneath and inside the wheel arches, you could pull it forward enough to reach up to the underside of the latches.
I'd try anything before hacking a hole in the bonnet.

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I'm pretty sure John that even removing the grille, by whatever method, won't get you access to the underside of the latches/catches, pretty sure that they're 'hidden' between two pieces of pressed metal..

I would however, rather than the photograph @thistle4celtic1 posted, cut the bonnet at the point that the catch/latch things are.. and then use bonnet closure pins like on racing/rally cars...

Reactions: thistle4celtic1

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Jeez!

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give mine a scoosh of something this weekend.

David.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Yep you've no chance getting to them without a full dismantle of virtually everything you can get to without opening the bonnet. They are a bloody pain.

·
Registered
22,317 Posts
You're probably right, Pete. I need to go and look at mine. I'm sure the XJ is the same.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
You're probably right, Pete. I need to go and look at mine. I'm sure the XJ is the same.
No John it isn't, it's slightly larger with an even bigger '4rse'... ;)

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I have a 2010 XF. When I tried to open the bonnet nothing happened. I took the vehicle to my local mechanic who confirmed that the nearside bonnet release was seized. He was unable to reach the locks and contacted Jaguar technical. Their answer was it's not possible to reach them, the only answer was to cut through the bonnet destroying it in the process. Fortunately for me he didn't but spent seven hours dismantling the front of the car, replaced the cable and locks and put it back together. As you can imagine it was a large bill. He in fact said that he would not take on another XF with this problem. So my hindsight advice would be keep the bonnet catches well lubricated and if there is any sticking etc replace them. Hope this helps others out there.
Brian, apologies.. welcome to the forum/madhouse, and thank you very much for the warning about that problem, it's an ugly one and hopefully you may have saved a few/lot of us from some serious grief.. (y)

Reactions: Popeye

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
Big shame to have to hack into a bonnet like that. Believe it or not, it isn't a new thing - have modified the Stag to run a separate, second, bonnet release cable in case the first one snaps, which they can do after nearly 50 years. They also need surgery, or at the least bad deformation of the bonnet, to release the bonnet if that happens.

·
20,479 Posts
Won't most modern cars be like this? If you're bonnet latch refuses doesn't open - I don't know a lot of other new cars where it won't be a major PITA to get access to the latch.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Rover 75/MG ZTs used to suffer from this, often it would be the cable stretching just enough that it wouldn't release the latch.

The usual work around was to reach through the wheel arch and hook onto the cable and put it under a load of tension while pulling the release lever. Then replace the cable obviously. I'm not sure what the usual failure on XFs is though.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
1,051 Posts
My wife now travels under ma bonnet…..I beep the horn every five miles……she squirts oil on both catches……sorted.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
12,308 Posts
My wife now travels under ma bonnet…..I beep the horn every five miles……she squirts oil on both catches……sorted.
From where?

Reactions: BigKev

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Gav

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
That's a very obliging wife you have there Kev. Finest kind.

Reactions: BigKev

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That's a very obliging wife you have there Kev. Finest kind.
She is that Wilf but just working on her addiction to football and Glasgow Sellick.

Reactions: OBC John
1 - 20 of 20 Posts