Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CTEK MXS5 battery charger and as it looks like my car will for the foreseeable future be sitting in my driveway, I would like to fit the permanent charging leads (with battery condition lights in built to the leads). Owners manual points towards using the terminals in the engine compartment for jump starting etc but I was wondering why they cannot be fitted directly to the battery terminals in the boot?
Thanks in advance.
Alan

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Alan positive lead connected to the battery positive and the negative lead connected to a suitable ground/earth on the car NOT the battery negative terminal.. this is to allow the battery monitoring system to work correctly. (y)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
P.S. make sure you get long enough leads if you want to put the comfort indicator in a position to see without opening the boot!..

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I can't see a suitable ground in my boot so just connected to negative .
If you remove the plastic cover from the boot lip, three scrivets if I remember correctly, you will find a suitable bolt underneath. Phil

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Just connect it to the battery negative and you'll be fine

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I can't see a suitable ground in my boot so just connected to negative .
If it’s like the X250 There may be an existing wire running from the Negative terminal to a bolt at the side of the battery. Use the same bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for the very fast responses. A job for tomorrow!

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Here's mine hard wired. OK, an XJ but the XF is pretty much the same.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
What advantage do you seeing using the battery? Harder to access, more stuff to remove and replace. Under the hood is straightforward and you can snake the wire up several place between the rear of the hood and the cowling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What advantage do you seeing using the battery? Harder to access, more stuff to remove and replace. Under the hood is straightforward and you can snake the wire up several place between the rear of the hood and the cowling.
Agree with Velocette on this, the under bonnet/hood connections are easy to access and you are unlikely to have to contend with the usual detritus that end up in the boot/trunk. One of the features I really liked on my XE and I'm presuming the XF 260 is the same configuration.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
The comfort lead can end in the boot so you don’t have to raise the boot floor, and if you have fitted the indicator panel into the boot lining it should be readily available, unless your boot is really rammed with useful stuff/junk.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The comfort lead can end in the boot so you don’t have to raise the boot floor, and if you have fitted the indicator panel into the boot lining it should be readily available, unless your boot is really rammed with useful stuff/junk.
If you snake the lead between the rear of the hood and the cowling you don't even have to open the hood to attach it. Did this on my last car and as a plus you can check battery SOC without opening anything and having to wait for the battery to normalize.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
If you snake the lead between the rear of the hood and the cowling you don't even have to open the hood to attach it. Did this on my last car and as a plus you can check battery SOC without opening anything and having to wait for the battery to normalize.
The hood? But the battery is in the trunk.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
The hood? But the battery is in the trunk.
Yes but the x260 like the xj has the jump start points under the hood. Think this is what velocette is eluding to.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes but the x260 like the xj has the jump start points under the hood. Think this is what velocette is eluding to.
Yes. You can hide the lead in the space above the cowling and not even have to open anything to get to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all.

I like the idea of fitting an inductor lead under the bonnet of my X260.
Dumb question but how did you permanently connect to the terminal points with eyelet connectors? Neither the positive nor negative post is threaded, just pillars to attach crocodile clips to as far as I can see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts