Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just purchased a 13 reg XF 2.2 but it has only come with one working keyfob, the previous owner says the spare fob lost its memory somehow so needs reprogramming, any idea how much this would cost? It would basically need to be cloned off the working one i guess.
Also there is no key inside any of the fobs so is it possible to get one cut, there is none to copy so wondering if there is a code somewhere?
Any advice would be most appreciated. As you can imagine i want a spare fob in case the working one gets damaged somehow. Not too bothered about the key but would like one if possible.
Also anywhere near the Birmingham area would be ideal.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Doesn't look too difficult. Any number of bods on Ebay offering to supply/code. One such being: NEW KEY
Had a similar thing done to my other car and it was remarkably easy albeit you needed to present the car at the supplier.

I think this is the other approach but one I would be unwilling to take. Basically you send them your KVM module located somewhere in the car and they code a key to it. The risk is of course should the KVM module go walkies you are in serious trouble. For what it's worth this is one such option: KVM module

·
Registered
18,233 Posts
My XJ came with two fobs, neither of which had a key blade in. It took the dealer a week to replace them. Just needed the VIN if memory serves (which it increasingly doesn't nowadays).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
At some point JLR introduced a change which required replacement of a module (presumbaly the KVM module referred to above) in order to provide new keys. The logic being that this prevented the theft of vehicles by coding keys using a device plugged into the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All sorted out now, found a brilliant mobile auto locksmith who comes to you. A re-programmed fob and 2 key blades for just £240, the one fob i had did work but was a bit worn on the exterior so he gave me a new casing for that one. So now got 2 new working key fobs complete with 2 blades.
They cover anywhere in the midlands area and are called Locked out auto locksmiths, they do have a website, www.lockedoutltd.co.uk or call them on 07881365682.
I highly recommend them, fast efficient service with good prices. Even if you don't have a keyblade they will pick your lock and make a new one there and then. Brilliant thing is they come to you.
I asked Lister Jaguar how much to reprogram my spare key and cut a new blade and they quoted it could be anything from £180 to over £600 if they have to replace kvm module etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts