Jaguar Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
It’s by USB.

Or, since you’re now good at taking the dash apart, if you like, you can take the hard disk out of the nav unit and install Volvo map data directly

There’s another thread on here on how to do that, but not for the feint hearted lol.
Thanks Dan, think I would prefer to go the USB route:eek:

So presumably it's a case of booting from a USB memory stick upon turning on the car or is there some routine that needs to be followed?

Tell you what I reckon I could get that dash apart blind folded :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
You have to get a USB stick from a dealer or from a member in here. They are coded to your VIN so only work on your car.

You plug it in a drive around for a few hours until it’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds easy enough and will start looking for the best place to buy. Hopefully this will re-instate my maps albeit having seen maps twice earlier today I do wonder whether an overnight miracle might bring them back permanently. Will be checking first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Speak to Michael @08292 first Brian.. (y)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Rather than driving around for hours, and you really don't want to be switching off part way through the update as some have suffered HD corruption requiring a new Sat Nav module, how about hooking up a PSU to the battery and then leave it to do it's thing with the ignition on an no need for the engine to be running. Cheap enough, under £20 for a 12v 30a:

Amazon PSU

Set it to 13.5v off load which should give around 12.8v on load connected across the battery.

Reactions: Statler

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
I've recently updated my satnav. See HERE . And my experience is that you can start and stop as often as you like . . . . just as long as you don't unplug the USB stick until the update is finally completed.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I've recently updated my satnav. See HERE . And my experience is that you can start and stop as often as you like . . . . just as long as you don't unplug the USB stick until the update is finally completed.
I know you did, and all through your posting updates I held my breath!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Might I add that the first time I tried to update my maps via USB that it failed and in the end required a new 'head unit'...

I believe that it was due to me switching the ignition on (but not starting the car) to use my phone over Bluetooth.. the car timed out and shut down and the update failed and was unrecoverable despite numerous attempts...

A new head unit later and with no such sillyness from me it updated fine.. the moral (at least in my case) is/was to not let the car 'shut down' by itself or of it's own accord..

Others may have different experiences... :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Bobstar did something similar to his. He started the car, inserted the USB, started the update and drove for over an hour, shut down the car and that was the last his ever worked. Needed a new head unit too.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Yes I know, (he had his problem just before me).. and even a lot of work with @Cambo (?) couldn't sort it for BobStar..

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thanks, Pete, Alan and John, all good advice I am sure. Will be checking what has or has not occurred overnight, don't know why but I just get a feeling I might have maps. Watch this space.......

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Here's hoping Brian.. (y)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Damn and double damn, looks like maps have gone walkies. Basically now have 2 options, 1. Update maps and hope the head unit plays ball, 2. Re-install the Joyeauto and use that solely for the sat nav. No rush, so I will ponder awhile and complete my Christmas shopping first else there will be a few disappointed faces around the tree.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The Samsung S8 is actually one of the only phones that supports AA wirelessly, saying that I kept having the problem that sometimes the screen would just go black, so reverted back to USB cable. Does have the added affect that it charges the phone at the same time :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ironically I might have to re-install to get some form of sat nav back. I can't say it was the Joyeauto that knee capped my original system but it seems too coincidental, working fine before install and not after removal. Obviously your experience of resetting the phone solved your problem and it may mine. Out of interest what version of Android do you now run?
I guess the clincher for me would be if the original maps go walkies as part of the install then I am obliged to re-install but I'd like to think something can be tweaked/re-set to can me get back to where I was before Joyeauto.
I'm using Samsung S10e on Android 10 and whatever I had installed...something was preventing wireless connection. After factory reset...I'm happy camper :) Saying that wireless AA is not without its flaws...shame that the USB from the Joyeauto delivers only 0.5A so it is not really charging the phone...if not for that I think I would stay with cable connection...I wonder if that is something that can be tweaked...I have Seat Leon with AA and it was charging my phone ok as it was delivering 2A of power :)

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
My car is currently a 15 foot long two ton paper weight having disconnected the battery to try a 'reset' due to silly issues..

Not the sort of thing I would bullshit about.. and it may well not be the experience other forum members have had.. but it is my current reality, if you think it can't/doesn't happen for no reason then you are sadly mistaken...

I've disconnected the battery before without issue, true enough.. there is no issue either with the well known windscreen washer problem on my car.. @Onotole has also had a CJB fail for no reason and written on here the fix he did himself of his CJB.

It can and does happen more often than you think.. have a look over on jaguarforum.com

@ChrisSB It may well be that you have "Never had an issue with mine".. neither did I.. until I did... ;)

The technical bulletin posted by @johnw777 above shows that Jaguar are aware of the issue, it's a bulletin that has been posted before on here, more than once I think...

Apologies that I probably sound grumpy.. but I am..

But.. tomorrow is another day... :)
@PeteA
Any update on this?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Yes John.. I will (try to remember to) update my other post with the horrible video in it over the weekend.. probably best not to read it though, as it'll be long and scary...

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Yes John.. I will (try to remember to) update my other post with the horrible video in it over the weekend.. probably best not to read it though, as it'll be long and scary...
I shall gird my loins in anticipation.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes John. I will (try to remember to) update my other post with the horrible video in it over the weekend.. probably best not to read it though, as it'll be long and scary...
Trouble is just readings these details can and often does invoke auto suggestion and the next thing you know you've got the same problem! Unfortunately resistance is futile and regardless I will force myself to read despite the possible consequences.
Hope the car is now behaving?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
@OBC John I really, really don't care what you do to your loins.. neither do I want to hear about it...😛

@BrianRC The f***ing thing is on the naughty step, not only is it getting no presents this year.. it's not getting any Christmas dinner either, nuff said?... :mad:

161 - 180 of 207 Posts