Jaguar Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Hmm I guess I’m not explaining well. Let’s see if a picture tells the story better.

Waze is here:

But then you go to dashboard and the nav section gets replaced with either of Google or Apple. Google in this case. And because it’s a different app it doesn’t have navigation info etc. You still get turn by turn voice notifications, but the map is not from Waze:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hmm, I've used carplay in quite a few different cars but can't remember ever using that dashboard feature and can't quite see the point of it either so it doesn't look like too big an issue.

I think I saw some other similar aftermarket device where you still had the built in satnav available and switched between them with a long press on the satnav button. Not a big thing either but would be nice to still be able to access the built in satnav.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hmm, I've used car plan in quite a few different cars but can't remember ever using that dashboard feature and can't quite see the point of it either so it doesn't look like too big an issue.
It’s mostly a matter of OCD :)

·
Super Moderator
27,342 Posts
Rumour has it that Waze support for CarPlay dashboard is due any time now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I’ve just been accepted on to the Waze beta programme. They say I should have details in a few days.

I’ll let you know how I get in.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Sweet. I hope they’ll also make it possible to customize the Waze GUI a bit more. Above all a split screen feature with two different views of the route and more route details , a bit like the built in satnav, would be great.

The lack of detail and display customization is what has surprised me most about CarPlay/Android auto so far. It’s been a while since I used CarPlay (in a latest gen Ewok loaner last time IIRC) and the display was still as basic as it’s been for years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This looks to be an appealing unit. Thanks to dslives and dekiello for being forum guinea pigs.

I would personally use with Android, mainly for Waze, but keen to find out some real-life specifics about the integration:
  • The reverse camera seems to automatically come on, but is this also the case if manually activating the sensors from the button that normally gives the graphic of the car and colours based on proximity to objects?
  • The unit needs to be in Aux mode, but is there a nice shortcut to switch to it, say from FM or DAB, as the normal way seems to need a few keypresses? I currently have the 'Take me home' front page shortcut, which would no longer do anything. There is an option to replace by iPod, shame Aux could not be there instead.
  • I'm struggling to find whether are actually any software differences between the units sold by JoyeAuto and Unique AD. I have seen on another forum (but not for the WJLR2) something showing the Unique version has an EQ setting that could help optimise the sound through the aux port. Does the JoyeAuto version have this setting?
  • Is the sound quality of the JoyeAuto through Aux as good as other sources?
  • Does the HDMI port work as an input, or is it just a second output?
I have also seen the unit on JoyeAuto's Alibaba page: Joyeauto Multimedia Video Interface Carplay Solution For Land Rover/jaguar Evoque Bosch 2013-2018 With Mirror Link - Buy Multimedia Video Interface Carplay,Carplay Solution For Evoque,Mirror Link Carplay Product on Alibaba.com
It's still possible to buy just one there, but the price comes down for 5+, working out to under £250 each delivered to the UK if lucky enough to skip the VAT, or about £300 if helping top up the Treasury's empty coffers. Might be good for a group buy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This looks to be an appealing unit. Thanks to dslives and dekiello for being forum guinea pigs.

I would personally use with Android, mainly for Waze, but keen to find out some real-life specifics about the integration:
  • The reverse camera seems to automatically come on, but is this also the case if manually activating the sensors from the button that normally gives the graphic of the car and colours based on proximity to objects?
  • The unit needs to be in Aux mode, but is there a nice shortcut to switch to it, say from FM or DAB, as the normal way seems to need a few keypresses? I currently have the 'Take me home' front page shortcut, which would no longer do anything. There is an option to replace by iPod, shame Aux could not be there instead.
  • I'm struggling to find whether are actually any software differences between the units sold by JoyeAuto and Unique AD. I have seen on another forum (but not for the WJLR2) something showing the Unique version has an EQ setting that could help optimise the sound through the aux port. Does the JoyeAuto version have this setting?
  • Is the sound quality of the JoyeAuto through Aux as good as other sources?
  • Does the HDMI port work as an input, or is it just a second output?
I have also seen the unit on JoyeAuto's Alibaba page: Joyeauto Multimedia Video Interface Carplay Solution For Land Rover/jaguar Evoque Bosch 2013-2018 With Mirror Link - Buy Multimedia Video Interface Carplay,Carplay Solution For Evoque,Mirror Link Carplay Product on Alibaba.com
It's still possible to buy just one there, but the price comes down for 5+, working out to under £250 each delivered to the UK if lucky enough to skip the VAT, or about £300 if helping top up the Treasury's empty coffers. Might be good for a group buy.
Reverse camera works exactly as normal. Remember the device only overrides the sat nav input. So any time that would you be overlaid with something else, such as alert or reverse camera all still works.

On points 2 and 4:

The unit works best (IMO) with the unit in head mode. The aux port has a tendency to hiss (not a Joyeauto problem). However, I’m working on a solution that uses Bluetooth to the HU instead of aux. Give me a few more days on that.

If you’ve got the Joyeauto on I wouldn’t bother going back to AM/DAB. There are phone apps that give you access to all that content with the added advantage of pause/rewind.

HDMI port - I don’t know. I might take the Joyeauto out and plug it into a TV and see what happens. I doubt much but will find out. There are a whole pile of settings on the device I haven’t played with set also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for that. I look forward to finding out what you do with the Bluetooth.

Actually, I think I would use the built in radio less. I mainly listen to some Bauer stations that have disappointingly dropped to mono on DAB in London, while if I head a bit south of where I live the FM drops out, so radio might work better for me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
So I had a look at the HDMI thing. There’s currently no way to enable it for input or output - if you scan BMW and VW forums you’ll see people trying the same there too. I’ll keep an eye out for future firmware upgrades but for now, I’m on the latest.

If this does become a future feature then the possibilities are endless. I was thinking I could build a rpi based g-sensor like you get in the big nissans. I have a CAN hat already so could do real-time stat display or something.

But hey....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Progress on using Bluetooth for audio:

I purchased a relatively cheap Bluetooth transmitter which is USB powered. The line out 3.5mm from the Joyeauto now goes to that, and from there to the HU by Bluetooth.

Upside:

1) no more hiss from aux input
2) car doesn’t try to connect to phone for audio so no confusion (at least under iOS)
3) no requirement to run audio cable into centre console.

For now, just whilst I was getting it working the transmitter is in the centre console, but it will be relocated to be hidden under the dash just as soon as I get time. All it needs is USB for power which I can take from the Joyeauto directly:

Next the transmitter is connected to the car for audio:

And everything works as expected, though you can’t hear it here’s what radio 1 looks like:

And no chance for confusion on my phone because it’s only got one audio connection to CarPlay (Joyeauto) and no additional one to the car:

The final trick that needs to be pulled off is to have something that imitates the nav button being pressed shortly after the power comes on so that you don’t have to do that manually. This is my next task...

·
Super Moderator
27,342 Posts
Neat idea. Like that. Shame there isn’t an RCA input into the HU.

The NAV has voice output so it does seem strange the JoyAuto can’t use that though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
The NAV has voice output so it does seem strange the JoyAuto can’t use that though.
Yeah, good point.

I suspect it’s more for broad compatibility with other vehicles than a direct technical challenge. But agree, a shame all the same.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just a quick point in relation to equaliser. It gives you plenty of options to adjust the audio and it actually works ;) On another note I'm surprised by the resolution of the Jaguar screen as with android Auto everything is clearly visible - even the smallest letters in navigation. It's a shame that built in camera is such low quality. I had initial issues with Wireless Android Auto but it was my phone that had some issues and after factory reset I'm able to connect without any issues whatsoever. I will adapt dslives with Bluetooth connection as the aux input in Jag is simply terrible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have decided to order from JoyeAuto, via Aliexpress: US $488.3 27% OFF|JoyeAuto Kit Wireless Apple Carplay For Jaguar XF 2014 2015 Android Auto Module Aftermarket Reserve Camera MIirroring Car Play|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress
Their discounted delivered price for '11/11' singles day at USD488 is marginally worse than from their own site, but there are a lot of other vouchers on Aliexpress. Though I would enquire with them first via chat with a picture of your display/buttons, which they need anyway, as they may offer a better deal ;) (though I had bought first). Aliexpress also pays through Topcashback. I used my fee free card to pay in dollars for a more favourable exchange rate. Even their own site is better value in USD than Euros.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well I've gone and ordered one from Unique Auto, Yeh I know it's more expensive, but I like the fact it'll get here quicker, if there's any problems I can speak to someone who can speak English and I won't get stung for import duties. Plus doing my bit for UK workers :D

Can't wait to start taking things apart and playing with something new :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
So on the topic of getting something to simulate nav button press so that the system switches to Joyeauto at startup:

I took the nav button out of the spear and did some probing around. I’ve found that the nav switch pulls down (what I call) pin 3 on the connector to ground (pin 1) with a resistance of 900 Ohms. It traverses these two resistors, 430 Ohm + 470 Ohm.

Have checked with a multimeter and works exactly as expected.

I have an Arduino trinket inbound and will seek to put something together that pulls down pin 3 to pin 1 over 900 Ohm periodically, perhaps for 50ms once/second or something like that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man you are really commited here ;) Good luck with that...I was actually thinking about it the other day and it would definitely had to trigger it with some kind of delay and ideally to do it once...it is defo doable...I just don't think I would be so bothered myself ;) I got my Bluetooth transmitter but it seems it is broken as no device shows up to pair...I was checking on my phone , so I ordered another one ,this time Bluetooth 4.0 as the one you got working seems to be 4.0 judging from description :) Anyway - I will be looking here to see how you are progressing :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
So my unit came yesterday and was promptly installed :D Everything works as it should and am really happy with the result.
The one thing I did notice is that there is no issue with the Aux connection as some have mentioned, the sound is crystal clear with no hissing :D Even plugged my Dension USB+U in the USB Socket so I can even hear DAB+ Radio if wanted.
So all in all felling like a kid with a new toy ;)

101 - 120 of 129 Posts