Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,I'm still on the lookout for an xfr and I've found one I like, I've asked for a video of the underside as it's from Scotland and I'm aware that cars from up there can suffer with alot of corrosion.

It's a 2014 car with full jag history and 53k.

Auto part Metal Helmet Wood Rim

Wood Font Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Font Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Rim

Jaw Font Wood Art Metal

Photograph White Vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Super Moderator
31,067 Posts
Nope. My second XF was like that in 6 months. Never got any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Hi, it only looks like surface rust, on the face of it there doesn't seem much to worry about. Phil

·
Firm Rampant Member
18,826 Posts
Hi guys,I'm still on the lookout for an xfr and I've found one I like, I've asked for a video of the underside as it's from Scotland and I'm aware that cars from up there can suffer with alot of corrosion.

It's a 2014 car with full jag history and 53k.

View attachment 189091
View attachment 189094
View attachment 189089
View attachment 189092
View attachment 189093
View attachment 189090
not in the slightest...as I'm not buying it

looks fine to me TBH

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Rear subframes seem to be prone to rust. I've had mine scrubbed and painted, but it's a 2008.

The rest is fine.

That looks almost new to me compared to mine 😂

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That doesn’t look a bad car at all. Where in Scotland is it from?

At 53k miles, there’s a chance it might not have seen an awful lot of salt.

David.

Reactions: OBC John

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
Nothing that POR15 couldn't cover.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That doesn’t look a bad car at all. Where in Scotland is it from?

At 53k miles, there’s a chance it might not have seen an awful lot of salt.

David.
It's at a dealership in Glasgow, looking at the service history it's been in Aberdeen and Glasgow since new. 3 owner car.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the service history. It has got quite a few stone chips so looking at that as a negotiation point. They have offered to do a spark plug service FOC as I was concerned that they had never been changed. All 4 wheels just refurbished. Due a major service in March aswell.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Document

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Number

·
Registered
200 Posts
Spark plugs should be replaced every 6 years on the xfr, not cheap either so good result if they are doing it FOC.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ahh, is that the one at Taggarts?

They‘re my local dealer. They won’t discount the car so make sure you get any niggles sorted.

It‘s unusual for Taggarts to retail anything over 3 or 4 years old so if they’ve got an XFR which is at least 6 years old advertised it must be a good one.

It’s on Michelins too so that’ll save you a grand getting rid of the Dunlops most come from the dealers with.

David.

Reactions: Alfie and BigKev

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
The spark plugs may well have been replaced at the 96k/72 month service but not logged on the history. Same thing happened to me with a brake fluid change and an aircon recharge (separate occasions).

Annoyingly, both times I was told the system can’t be amended even though the website suggests it can. The physical paperwork I have proves the work was done so perhaps worth seeing if they have the invoices?

If not then yes, getting a free spark plug change is a very big saving to be made!

Reactions: Gav

·
20,482 Posts
Peter Vardy

shudders......

Be glad its been to Taggarts Glasgow last and not the other way round.

Reactions: dhallworth

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take it Taggarts are pretty decent then?

Does anybody know if the start/stop function can be turned off on the xfr?

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,847 Posts
I take it Taggarts are pretty decent then?

Does anybody know if the start/stop function can be turned off on the xfr?
If it has the two battery system, as I think it does, then you can permanently disable the start/start system simply by disconnecting the second (auxiliary) battery. The easiest way to do that is to unbolt the earth lead (a black cable running from the negative terminal of that battery) from where it bolts to the floor of the boot then cable tie it up out of the way so the end can't contact any metal surface. Or you can go one step further and completely remove the secondary battery from the car. Either way does nothing except disable the start/start system, the very first thing I did on the F-Type was that first step then a few years later I removed the battery and I have never had a single battery or electrical system problem.
If however the car has the single battery system then I believe you only have to unplug one single connector in the boot, I know this works for the 2016 onwards F-Type with the single battery system so it should also work for a single battery XFR.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
While I wouldn't baulk at them doing the spark plugs, it's not really needed at that mileage. I'd argue they aren't subject to age degradation, just mileage. Obviously Jaguar will disagree 😂 .

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While I wouldn't baulk at them doing the spark plugs, it's not really needed at that mileage. I'd argue they aren't subject to age degradation, just mileage. Obviously Jaguar will disagree 😂 .
Does the rest of the service history look ok? I know manufacturers have these long service intervals these days which I just don't agree with. My impreza had oil and filter every year regardless along with diff/gearbox oil every 2 years.
No mention of a diff/gearbox service on this car yet.......I'm guessing its a sealed for life unit yawn yawn 😴

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it has the two battery system, as I think it does, then you can permanently disable the start/start system simply by disconnecting the second (auxiliary) battery. The easiest way to do that is to unbolt the earth lead (a black cable running from the negative terminal of that battery) from where it bolts to the floor of the boot then cable tie it up out of the way so the end can't contact any metal surface. Or you can go one step further and completely remove the secondary battery from the car. Either way does nothing except disable the start/start system, the very first thing I did on the F-Type was that first step then a few years later I removed the battery and I have never had a single battery or electrical system problem.
If however the car has the single battery system then I believe you only have to unplug one single connector in the boot, I know this works for the 2016 onwards F-Type with the single battery system so it should also work for a single battery XFR.
Thanks buddy, I'm guessing it's just a case of having a look to see if there is a battery in the boot then or is it hidden?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Does the rest of the service history look ok? I know manufacturers have these long service intervals these days which I just don't agree with. My impreza had oil and filter every year regardless along with diff/gearbox oil every 2 years.
No mention of a diff/gearbox service on this car yet.......I'm guessing its a sealed for life unit yawn yawn
Sealed for life on both. ZF recommend an oil and pan (with built in filter) change between 50-70k miles or 8 years.

Diff I’m not sure of the recommended interval but I had mine done around 58k.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Also no mention of brake fluid changes other than 2017. I assume they’ve been done though…

1 - 20 of 66 Posts