Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am negotiating with a private seller for an XF. FJSH and it has just a its 'major 8 year service' at 70k miles. All 4 brake discs have big wear lips on their edges that must be a health and safety issue as a trip hazard! The seller claims that Jag service report says the brakes are fine. |I'm saying they are worn and offering a reduction as a result. We are £400 apart.
The battery is the original (2013 year) and could fail anytime which adds to why I am reluctant to budge on price.

I compare with my own 2007 X-Type with 278k miles on it. Ok I have replaced the brakes on that numerous times, but right now my discs are so perfect you could shave in them.

Am I just holding to a higher standard?

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
Hello Winco. Welcome to the forum.
IMHO, the discs just having lips on them wouldn't necessarily affect the braking. What you need to do, if possible, is to get a micrometer on then to check the thickness. The tolerance should be stamped on the disc edge.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
383 Posts
The minimum thickness is usually stamped on the disc somewhere. If you really feel the need, measure the thickness with a micrometer.

·
Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
875 Posts
........or just jog backwards.....?

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
11,592 Posts
30mm IIRC

Reactions: FCS

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
But discs and batteries are considered service items, if the seller isn't going to budge on price because you say they're worn or nearing end of life, then find another car. Seller is quite within their right to demand whatever price they want. With the brakes working with a clean bill of health from the Jaguar dealer, and the battery working you've nothing to bargain on if the seller is disputing you, more so as the seller is private. If you like the car, budget in the price of new brakes and a new battery, else move on.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
£400 apart??

is that really a justified reason to turn a car down. They’re easily replaced if you feel that hard done by. I’d do the same as the seller myself.

Reactions: BrianRC

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm being bloody minded aren't I !!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Four discs.....four setsa pads.......two batteries.......not much change out of £800.00 Parts only. Point.....? Your call. Lots for sales out there.

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
You could say that any part may need replacing. Batteries can fail at any time. Get a ctek or other battery maintainer and prolong the life of it.

The suspension lower bushes will be going about now, if they haven’t been replaced already.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
The minimum thickness is usually stamped on the disc somewhere. If you really feel the need, measure the thickness with a micrometer.
Here's a list of the brake wear specs for the XF:

Brake disc specs.jpg

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Whoops, two images!
Anyway the "due for replacement" or "worn" thickness varies with the brake spec (326 mm, 355 mm, 376 mm or 380 mm) but it's the same across all of them - a whopping 2 mm less than new thickness.
I have commented before how this seems to be a ridiculously conservative "worn out and due for replacement" spec, especially for the 380 mm front discs which are 36 mm thick when new. Little risk that you could go to twice as much wear as this (ie 4 mm less thickness than new) with zero problems, with one caveat - in my experience and that of others the inner surfaces of the discs wear around twice as fast as the outers, so 2 mm worn would be roughly 1.3 mm off the inside and .7 mm off the outside.
Point is, these are the factory JLR specs so if any disc is 2 mm or more worn below new thickness it is officially due for replacement, no ifs or buts, and you should be able to legally hold the seller to that.
When I bought my old XFR a few years ago now the seller advised up front that the local JLR dealership had advised him it was due for new brake discs and pads so I offered $2,000 off the asking price and the seller agreed.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Point is, these are the factory JLR specs so if any disc is 2 mm or more worn below new thickness it is officially due for replacement, no ifs or buts, and you should be able to legally hold the seller to that.
Nothing in UK law to cover this under a private sale. If the brake system is functional and not described in a "dangerous condition" by for example, a MOT declaration or stated on a dealer service sheet, there's nothing a buyer can do about it. Even if the discs are worn very much below manufacturer stated tolerances, the fact the brakes are physically working when the car was sold is final. The fact the battery may be old cannot be taken into consideration, as said, the bushes are old. What about the trans fluid? Bet that hasn't been changed, nor the diff oil. The advertised sale price of the car is for the car as a whole, not happy to pay the advertised price, even after asking for a discount, then walk away, quite simple really.

It all comes down to if the condition of the car for private sale meets the buyers expected condition. In this case it doesn't, the buyer wants a price reduction due to what he suspects are worn service items. It's just down to the seller and buyer to agree a price. I don't really understand why the buyer needs to discuss so openly here what is clearly a private sale price dispute. If I looked at a private car for sale, and I am looking for a first car for my teenage son, should I say I'm not paying £2,000 as the tyres are half worn, the gearbox oil is likely old, as are all the suspension components, the shockers may fail, the door seals may leak etc and so offer £1,000? No, I consider the car and the asked price as a whole, not happy with it, I'll find another.

Reactions: BrianRC and tellmah

·
Super Moderator
29,737 Posts
Four discs.....four setsa pads.......two batteries.......not much change out of £800.00 Parts only. Point.....? Your call. Lots for sales out there.
You’re paying a lot of brakes if you think they are £800 for a full set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
You’re paying a lot of brakes if you think they are £800 for a full set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think he is including 2 batteries as well.

·
Registered
875 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, the OP has only posted twice.

Perhaps, he should buy from a Jaguar dealer so he has all the legal protection that comes with buying from a dealer.....but the price to be paid will be, or should be, a great deal higher than buying from this private seller.

Clearly, if you are £400 apart and neither party is going to budge then look elsewhere. If I were the seller and you came waving a forum post in front of me trying to lower the price I would tell you to grow up and go away.

If stop-start is functioning then the batteries are OK at the moment.

Look at the overall package and base your decision on that.....plus full Jaguar SH is worth something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gosh, I have sparked a discussion - thank you for all your input. Long story, I ended up buying it; 2013 3.0D S Portfolio Sportbrake.
The point I was trying to make in my first post, was how Jaguar gave a clean bill of health to visually worn brakes, claiming 'without judder or noise' on their tick sheet.
There is wobble under gentle braking. Otherwise the brakes work fine.

Question. How many batteries do I have?? There is a big one in the boot next to the spare wheel. Is there another?

·
19,872 Posts
The brake judder has been looked into extensively by Ninjag.

Use the search bar and you should find it easy enough.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts