Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i a look for some advice for my son's xfs the windscreen washer and head lights washers are not working we filled it up with water i have pulled the pipe off to the non-return valve and you're not getting any water from the pump the pump it sounds like it's not working and when you turn the lights on that headlight washers don't work either haha has anyone had any problems with this before your help will be greatly received thank you

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Have you checked fuse/relay? If the pump is not working none of it will. Have you tested the pump with a separate supply straight to it (from another 12v power source) To see if it works that way? If it doesn’t then pump needs replacing, if the pump works then the fault is back along the electrics, could be the column switch. Little bit more isolation of the problem needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked fuse/relay? If the pump is not working none of it will. Have you tested the pump with a separate supply straight to it (from another 12v power source) To see if it works that way? If it doesn’t then pump needs replacing, if the pump works then the fault is back along the electrics, could be the column switch. Little bit more isolation of the problem needed.
Thank you for your help i will look in to it

·
Registered
329 Posts
The headlight washers (if fitted) work only when the lights are on and (I think) when the windscreen wipers are on. They also only work once and then won't work again until a certain amount of time has passed or the ignition has been turned off and on. The handbook has the full explanation, but it makes testing tricky. My pump had packed up as the set of circumstances needed for it to be used was hardly ever achieved, so I guess it just seized up. If you replace it (or both) it may be worth getting new seals where it pushes into the tank. One of mine leaked, even though it was OK before and a new seal + sealant was used to be sure. If it is the facelift model check the wiring/junction box for water as this is a problem that will cost a lot to fix if preventative measures are not taken.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
In mine you only need the headlights on for the headlight washers to activate, I don't need to have the wipers on but it will of course do a sweep as the windscreen will wash in unison.

A quick way to repeat the headlight washers is to simply turn your lights off and back on then press the washer button. They should activate again and ever other time you turn the lights off and back on.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Another thing to check if there is gunk in the tank. Some additives don’t react well with others and can lead to gel forming. It may be able to be cleared with hot water being added but not always!

Reactions: Rigger

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Thinking out loud here.. there are two pumps, one for the screen and one for the headlights, it would be very unlikely that both pumps have failed at the same time.

Looking at the wiring diagram, which I've attached, the screen pump is operated directly by the CJB/BCM (central junction box) but the headlight pump is operated by a relay in the junction box in the engine bay which is controlled by an output from the CJB/BCM.

Is it a facelift model with the dreaded CJB issue?

I'm guessing it's a saloon because no mention was made of any problem with the rear wash.

Do the wipers themselves work?

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
In mine you only need the headlights on for the headlight washers to activate, I don't need to have the wipers on but it will of course do a sweep as the windscreen will wash in unison.

A quick way to repeat the headlight washers is to simply turn your lights off and back on then press the washer button. They should activate again and ever other time you turn the lights off and back on.
You're right, I knew the wipers were involved. Good to know this if testing and you have the bonnet up as the wiper arms can hit the bonnet edge (great design feature). On mine, I noticed the windscreen pump wasn't working and on investigation I found both not functioning. With a bit of coaxing the screen washer pump worked but the headlight washer was leaking rusty water that had stained the tank on the outside. I guess the headlight washer pump stopped working a long time ago but I never noticed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately, I had a similar problem. It arose when my 2012 xf-s went in for MoT last year to my local dealership. It failed, due to the fact that my headlamp washers were not working. I was informed that water had travelled from the washer pump to the fuse box causing rust in this area and needed replacing. It cost in the region of £3,000 to pass the MoT!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts