Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
Do you hear the pump?

Registered
Have you looked in the Central Junction Box in case the fluid has gathered there.

It鈥檚 a common problem on later facelift models.

Registered
As above - look up central junction box issues. The fact it works with ignition on but not with engine running is odd and could be down to corrosion in the junction box. In short, washer fluid gets up the wire and into the electrics causing a huge amount of expense if not caught early. What year is your car as the facelift models seem more likely to be affected. Even if it isn't this it is worth dealing with it before it becomes an issue.

Registered
As above - look up central junction box issues. The fact it works with ignition on but not with engine running is odd and could be down to corrosion in the junction box. In short, washer fluid gets up the wire and into the electrics causing a huge amount of expense if not caught early. What year is your car as the facelift models seem more likely to be affected. Even if it isn't this it is worth dealing with it before it becomes an issue. [/QUOTTE] Thanks for the reply the year of car is 2012. Ok I will check that before I do anything else.

Registered
It is a good idea to clean the washer tank while you have the wheel and cover off the wheel arch, the pump just unplugs.
Cut the wire and splice it as the info on here. When you cut a cable it is a good idea to try to cut one wire at a time, just in case. Don't forget the washer only works every few wipes. Have a good look at the top of the pump (it should be dry)

Registered
Also check the headlight washer pump while you are in there - mine was leaking slightly and not working but I hadn't noticed as it only operates under certain conditions. Also check the level sensor for water in the connector. Mine was showing low when full and on examination the sensor was cracked and let water into the connector which was giving low message even with new sensor. Just worth examining these things if you have the inner wing liner removed.

Registered
It's just the fuse box, underneath the steering wheel in the footwell area to the right.

CJB is what they call the main fuse box and AJB (Auxiliary Junction Box) is the fuse box in the boot area on the offside.
Neither are 'just' fuse box's Graham.. ;)

Reactions: Gav

Registered
Flush the lower water reservoir pump鈥檚 filter first (most models have a plastic mesh filter which clogs easily, redesigned pumps don鈥檛). Also flush lines to washers (compressed air, or use bicycle pump with football adapter). 99% of the time this will fix things. Personally, I find that soap-based additives in the washer bottle cause clogging after a few years, so it鈥檚 often better to just use water.

Registered
Battery powered superhero

Registered
In both the Jag and current car I used Autosmart Clearview screenwash, diluted at 4/1 and it had always been very good with a lovely strong smell, but when the temps dropped it started freezing up, even when we changed the ratio to 2/1. It is too expensive to use neat so we went looking.

We spotted a good offer with bulk buying Polygard Arctic so we initially got a few hundred litres in and have been using it neat since in the current car, other employee cars and the HGV fleet and it's been excellent. No freezing even when temps hit -10掳C and no smearing. We did make sure to empty all the tanks before filling with the new stuff.

I've been very conscience of clogging since having the BMW many years ago as they seemed to be quite notorious for it (colleague had exactly the same car and it happened to him). I have a feeling it's not so much the screen wash you use, but perhaps mixing different brands? If I decide to change brand I will run the screen wash to empty first.

Registered
In the BMW, it was mixing brands and types caused a chemical reaction in the filter which created a goo that blocked everything.

I experienced it in my 318iS. Took ages to clean out.

I use Wurth or LiquiMoly screen additive in our cars. They don鈥檛 seem to argue with each other and clean well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts