Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first problem with my second xf 馃檨. Had the restricted performance thrown yesterday, been troubleshooting today and found the cultrate. A big split in a pipe. Wonder if someone could help me identify the part number and get my terminology correct to explain to the the problem to the garage I purchased from / or local garage to get fixed.

Its a split in the pipe that connects where the blue arrow is in this pic:

Here is the photo i just about managed to get crawling around under the car after removing the plastic floor enough:

I not sure if my warranty has expired so might have to get this replaced myself. I purchased the car from a garage a good 50 miles away. Looking at the rate the DPF is filling up whilst driving im not sure it would be a good idea to take it that far to be resolved ? After I had the Restricted performance come on I was 10 miles from home. I had my odb connector connected so monitored the dpf level driving home. In that 10 miles It went from 10 to 40 (percent full / grams ??)

Normally I would have a go at doing this sort of replacement myself but it looks so far back in and difficult to get to, I cant even trace where the other end of this pipe is from the top of the engine looking down.

Many thanks in advance - off to go and put all the floor back up and screwed in for now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I've found the part number : 9X23-6F072-AD (intercooler pipe)

Found a few on ebay but does anyone know where I might be able to source one quickly? having a second look I think i will attempt this myself from underneath with the car up on axle stands.

Were off on holiday next weekend and i'm working during the week so ideally need to get one to try and fit on Monday - not liking my chances much!

Administrator
Probably worth going to a Jaguar dealer parts dept.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yer 拢90 is a bit steep for a bit or rubber hose! Found a salvage one for 拢15 on eBay now - coming Wednesday so I鈥檝e taken that and Thursday off work to fit. Fingers crossed all goes ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
XJ Portfolio.2014.Amethyst Black.
拢90.00 for a rubber far king hose.....! Then the dealers go about with big bags of frozen McCains on their shoulders coz nobody likes and/or uses them.....! Bobbing rasturts imho. Toyota the same.

Registered
While your there item 10 (turbo actuator) is the part that sticks & brings on the RP at 2500rpm. So worth checking that its not sticking. There is a modified part available.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
While your there item 10 (turbo actuator) is the part that sticks & brings on the RP at 2500rpm. So worth checking that its not sticking. There is a modified part available.
Thanks john I鈥檒l have a look - is there a way to determine if it鈥檚 likely sticking or not during normal operation ( aside from be bad enough to throw an error code ) should I try to move it manually by hand to see if it鈥檚 stiff or is that a big no no ?

Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
This called turbo bypass valve. It actually bypasses secondary turbo before 2800rpm. Normally shut, so long as you can move it with finger and it is shut in resting position you are good. The piece of rubber is a normal turbo hose but formed to avoid touching anywhere. It has to stand 45-50psi at least. If it was torn due to ageing fine, otherwise I would investigate why you had excess boost to split it. It could have been your manifold or intercooler and way more expensive to repair. Check if primary turbo arm moves freely and your MAP sensor reading is normal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info guys I鈥檒l going to have a good look at the actuator and valve, thinking I might take the whole unit out tomorrow then I will have time to clean up everything before the new hose comes on Wednesday.

If I鈥檓 honest with myself this being my second xf the power delivery sometimes doesn鈥檛 feel as smooth as the previous, wasn鈥檛 sure if i was imagining it but gut feel was seems a little more turbo lag from pull away (primary turbo) and the second turbo coming online although strong to the redline sometimes seems to be delivered in slightly jerky increments of power if that makes sense.

Only slight though and not always noticeable.

It鈥檚 most detectable holding 3rd gear and coming on and off throttle between 2700-3000 rpm. That seems to sometimes almost feel like it bogs down for a second bit perhaps that鈥檚 expected as it鈥檚 around the point the second turbo takes over.

Anyway hoping mostly has been down to this slowly increasing split, had no bit bang / pop moment so assuming it鈥檚 got worse over time. Perhaps this actuator arm is also a bit stiff - keen to get the car back up and diagnose now

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Pipe replaced and OMG!! :)

This split must of been there since i got the car last december and just slowly getting worse till it eventually caused restricted performance. I thought there was something not 100% with this car it just didn't feel as smooth or as quick as my previous xf. Now its totally transformed.

I thought it was just me getting used to the 8 speed box. It was always seeming to change down to often/early with the slightest press of the pedal there was plenty of power above 3000rpm but a lot less below (which i now know was due to this split) so i guess the gearing was compensating for that in some way?

Now though its like driving a different car! its sooo much smoother to drive. A slight touch of the pedal now and instead of dropping a gear it just surges forwards with so much force right from low down the rev range - puts a bloody massive smile on your face :)

Took it out for a long drive to clear the dpf that was pretty full due to the split, once it had cleared i came off the motorway and stopped at the lights ready to rejoin. There was no one in front so put it in sport and gave it full throttle - my god the xfs does not hang around does it!! I've never experience it accelerate like that in my previous xf or this one till today! Hence to say Im happier today then the day i bought it. Can't wipe the grin off my face :)

Glad to hear you got things fixed and fell in love with the car again :)

Reactions: Jammyb

Registered
MY 2012 XF S Portfolio Ultimate Black
Pipe replaced and OMG!! :)

This split must of been there since i got the car last december and just slowly getting worse till it eventually caused restricted performance. I thought there was something not 100% with this car it just didn't feel as smooth or as quick as my previous xf. Now its totally transformed.

I thought it was just me getting used to the 8 speed box. It was always seeming to change down to often/early with the slightest press of the pedal there was plenty of power above 3000rpm but a lot less below (which i now know was due to this split) so i guess the gearing was compensating for that in some way?

Now though its like driving a different car! its sooo much smoother to drive. A slight touch of the pedal now and instead of dropping a gear it just surges forwards with so much force right from low down the rev range - puts a bloody massive smile on your face :)

Took it out for a long drive to clear the dpf that was pretty full due to the split, once it had cleared i came off the motorway and stopped at the lights ready to rejoin. There was no one in front so put it in sport and gave it full throttle - my god the xfs does not hang around does it!! I've never experience it accelerate like that in my previous xf or this one till today! Hence to say Im happier today then the day i bought it. Can't wipe the grin off my face :)
Glad it is fixed. I know that feel exactly.
Throttle response will adopt to your driving style unless you are in sport mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts