Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
27,996 Posts
The Taycan is actually a Porsche I like. Base model is a similar price to the I-PACE but one you start adding options it'll be £100k before you know it.

The I-PACE is a great car, but announcing you are going EV only then having a 6 year gap between EV models is kind of worrying. The MHEVs and PHEVs don't get a particularly good write up.
The Turbo S looks tasty, but just shy of £140K without options is double my budget. :(

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
My neighbour has a Taycan Turbo S, sounds weird but I quite like it. I also like the Audi version. The acceleration in the Polestar I drove at weekend was mad, god knows what the Porsche is like. Thinking about big gaps in manufacturing Nissan brought out the Leaf in 2010 and nothing since.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It certainly appears to me that most people in this country and indeed the world (except Toyota) have embraced the idea that the future certainly for the domestic car market is BEV. ICE manufacturers have dragged their feet as they sat on the fence for far too long. I discount the Porsche BEV simply because of the price point as its only going to be the toy for the very wealthy, indeed any BEV topping £100K is not going to be a mass market appeal - but super bragging rights for the owners in the pub.

The only manufacturer that appears to be trying to make up ground is the VAG group though despite what they say they are miles behind the market leader in pretty much every aspect of BEV development, battery technology, charge network, range and over the air updates, however given their resources I'm sure within a few years they will genuinely have a range of BEVs that will attract a good portion of the market, but in order to do so will need to start letting go of their legacy ICE offerings as keeping a hold in that field will bankrupt them - as is expected to be so for Ford and GM.

Jaguar as a company is fragile but their reputation is towards the more mature driver and that is something Jaguar should have addressed many years ago. The Ipace is a good car but that should have been the start of a big push towards BEV and year after year new models being announced or in development (even if the launch dates expected weren't true (Just like Elon usually does)

With 2030 being so close and no new ICE to be sold after that how can Jaguar survive? Majority of its vehicles are diesel and its not an option to remove that and bolt in an electric motor, Whilst Jaguar developed its new engine plant the writing was already on the wall regarding BEVs - just who is seeing the bigger picture within the company.
Without doubt Jaguar needs a new partner but I just cant see any other manufacturer wanting to buy the marque given its previous affects on those that previously attempted to rescue them - Ford and BMW invested and were burned, i doubt Jaguar could even be sold for a pound.

Such a shame for what was a premium brand, loved by so many with so many historical luxury vehicles. RIP Jaguar.

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
After 2025 all JLR products will be BEV. So they say. But with a 6 year gap between their first model and their next in 2024, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Administrator
27,996 Posts
A particular problem for Jaguar in the UK is that their customers are moving to BEV's wholesale because of the company car tax incentives. The Taycan seems to have become the Company Director's preferred chariot now that Model S deliveries won't be happening until next Autumn. Senior Execs are gobbling up all the Model 3's every time a ship docks. These are traditional Jaguar customers & they don't seem to be falling in love with the iPace ... maybe because it's an SUV?

·
Super Moderator
30,532 Posts
Exactly. Not everyone loves SUVs but 95% of new BEVs are SUVs. There's only one estate!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Its weird really. Ford announced a year or so ago that they will only produce SUV’s and trucks for the US market as saloons don’t sell, yet apart from the silly Model X Tesla only sell saloons, the new Model Y looks like something in between. Hatchbacks have been the biggest sellers in Europe for years, SUV’s have taken some market recently yet the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling EV. I thought the iPace would do better than it has, I think price is the main stumbling block. The market is changing very quickly, probably too quickly as infrastructure probably won‘t keep pace. The top ten sellers list is already looking quite different to what we have been used to over the years. There will be some big winners and some big losers.

·
Administrator
27,996 Posts
Its weird really. Ford announced a year or so ago that they will only produce SUV’s and trucks for the US market as saloons don’t sell, yet apart from the silly Model X Tesla only sell saloons, the new Model Y looks like something in between. Hatchbacks have been the biggest sellers in Europe for years, SUV’s have taken some market recently yet the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling EV. I thought the iPace would do better than it has, I think price is the main stumbling block. The market is changing very quickly, probably too quickly as infrastructure probably won‘t keep pace. The top ten sellers list is already looking quite different to what we have been used to over the years. There will be some big winners and some big losers.
Tesla are expecting the Model Y to considerably outsell the 3.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I did think that Jaguar might buy Tesla a few years ago, then a few months ago thought Tesla might buy Jag - they could make the Telsa Model S and X..

But I do now think that Kia taking over could work - lots of EV development and sharing platforms?

·
Administrator
27,996 Posts
The only automaker that realised how dire the situation was for the ICE was VAG. Dieselgate probably did them a big favour because the need to develop some 'green' credentials forced them to enter the EV race sooner than the rest. I get the feeling that many of the larger manufacturers are still tinkering on the fringes with EV's & a lot of their plans are just corporate hype.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I can’t actually remember the last time a forum member took delivery of a new Jaguar. Was it Mattia’s iPace? :unsure:
My F-pace (petrol) in May

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The Taycan is actually a Porsche I like. Base model is a similar price to the I-PACE but one you start adding options it'll be £100k before you know it
Indeed, my current build is sitting at £97K but that is my minimum build so might end up closer to 105 by the time I'm happy. I have a test drive and a pricing session with Porsche tomorrow so lets see!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I can’t actually remember the last time a forum member took delivery of a new Jaguar. Was it Mattia’s iPace? :unsure:
I got this for £32k on June 30th, i was looking at a Tesla 3 for £56k and the £24k price difference swayed me. Stratstones gave me £17700 for my 38 month old XE and resold it within 3 weeks for £20900.
Will look again when this comes out of warranty,

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I got this for £32k on June 30th, i was looking at a Tesla 3 for £56k and the £24k price difference swayed me. Stratstones gave me £17700 for my 38 month old XE and resold it within 3 weeks for £20900.
Will look again when this comes out of warranty,

View attachment 188503
How do you find the XE? My brother could be looking soon and he mentioned it. The 3.0 V6 s/c could be nice!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I swapped my XE P250 R-Sport for a XE P250 R-Dynamic Black the new car is mild hybrid with a PPF. It seems slightly quicker than the old one but a little thirstier, 35mpg against 40-42 (E10 fuel?), very pointy and planted, corners with ease. I would not have bought a second one if i did not like them. My best Jag owned is still the MY13 XF 3.0V6 diesel.
This one will give me more time to see what Jaguar will be offering in 3 years, hopefully an XE sized reasonably priced and spec'd BEV. I can definitely recommend the XE, but some don't like them.

Reactions: ninjag

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sad isn’t it?

Refreshes don’t count, so it’s 2018 with the I-Pace. Shocking really.

I think they’ll die a natural death unfortunately.
You don't think that launching a new Defender would stretch the resources of any medium-sized manufacturer?

According to the investor update in July the business has more than £3.7Bn in the bank and the biggest order book for vehicles in the company's history.

The challenge for Jaguar is that the UK is their biggest single market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was chatting to my brother about Honda this afternoon and they aren't much better especially when compared to the Germans. I thought Volvo had more but on looking not a huge amount of new stuff.

I find Honest John is quite good for getting a quick overview of models and years.

View attachment 188455

View attachment 188456
If you take Honda at their word, they quit as an F1 engine supplier because the move to BEV is a "once-in-one-hundred-years period of great transformation." (You'll know that Honda isn't yet 100 years old as a business.) That size of a challenge will take some time and plenty of money to address.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts