Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm asking the age old question here, which tyres to go for?

I've got a XFR with Dunlop SP Sportmaxx on but the inner side is worn away, still plenty of tread on the rest of the tyre, I'm guessing the drive through Snowdonia at the weekend killed them off!

From looking through the forum & other reviews I really like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 but they only do these for the front size 255/35/20 and when I come to do the rears later I'd like the same tread pattern but they're 285/30/20 so toying with Pirelli P Zero as they're still OE spec, I believe the Jags have a double edge on the rim? I've had the Michelin Super Sport previously on my old XF which did fit even though not OE spec and they were great tyres with much improved grip.

What do you guys think? Michelin's if they fit or go for the Pirelli's & stick to the safe bet?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I've used Pirelli PZeros, Dunlops and Michellins on my XFR and prefer the MPSS as they give quite a bit of extra grip in the damp. I've heard the new Dunlop Sportmax is much improved though, but I'll be sticking with the MPSS for summer and Sottozeros for winter.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Fitments is fine because I got the correct sizes I've 255/35R20 fronts and 285/30R20 rears. They can be difficult to get so best just look at all the usual sites. Just beware there is a Z version for ferraris in the wider size but they only have about 5mm tread so avoid these!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
+1 for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I bought them to replace my original Dunlops. The latest Dunlops (on my MY15 XFR) were much improved over the old ones. I am now running the MPSS on my new car.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ive got an XFR and off the baxck of reviews on here I got 4 staggered Kumho ECSTA Sports from Camskills

Cost me £405 all in which is a bargain for a tyre that gets great praise on here and within online reviews.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have the latest Dunlop tyres on mine and they are good, certainly way better than I recall from a previous XF and certainly better than the ones I inherited with my current car. Mind you I am fanatical about wheel alignment and recently had a full alignment done too.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
+1 for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I bought them to replace my original Dunlops. The latest Dunlops (on my MY15 XFR) were much improved over the old ones. I am now running the MPSS on my new car.

Yep, my fronts have about 20k on now and still loads left. Had to resort to Pirelli on the back having been caught short with a puncture. They're good on grip, but don't seem to be lasting too well.

·
Registered
691 Posts
20 inch volans?

If so whats the max tyre size you can place on the rear volans?
is it 285 or will 295 still go?

Never got that width system :S

Fitments is fine because I got the correct sizes I've 255/35R20 fronts and 285/30R20 rears. They can be difficult to get so best just look at all the usual sites. Just beware there is a Z version for ferraris in the wider size but they only have about 5mm tread so avoid these!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Believe 295s will go onto a rear Volan but 285s is the factory width.

Sent from a shiny phone using Tapatalk. Typos expected...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeh I thought so too but is that good bad?
Anyone here try that?

Believe 295s will go onto a rear Volan but 285s is the factory width.

Sent from a shiny phone using Tapatalk. Typos expected...

·
Registered
691 Posts
You had the 20 inch volans?
what is MSS?

I've done it on my last XF, with the MSS and had no issues. I've done it previously with my CLK & found much better wet grip.

·
Registered
691 Posts
But 20 inch 285 rims are the same regardless of type right?
Since the tyres are expensive I rather not try it on a "whim".

:D

Never had Volans before, sorry. MSS are Michelin Super Sport

·
Registered
506 Posts
XFR Supercharged wheels ... what tyre pressures does everyone run on their 20's?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I believe they are all the same with 20" being the diameter & 285 the width. I know my old wheels had a double rim around the edge where the OE spec tyres slotted into, I'm guessing for extra rim protection.

But 20 inch 285 rims are the same regardless of type right?
Since the tyres are expensive I rather not try it on a "whim".

:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think I have from the dealer 2.6 BAR?
Might that be correct?
I will check!

But anyways; so you CAN fit 295 on the 20 inch Jaguar rims?
Who can confirm that aside from garethcurrie who did that?

XFR Supercharged wheels ... what tyre pressures does everyone run on their 20's?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
It is the wheels width (in inches) that is important. If you have 9.5" rims, then 285 or 295 should be OK. If they are 8.5" then no.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts