Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of any good warranty deals? very open question I know...(just google)...

I've come across motoreasy (motoreasy.com) Lite B plan which comes to around £25 per month and can be cheaper if paid in block advance.

I'd rather go for the comprehensive version (Plan B), does anyone know of similar costs (upto £35 possibly) but has full warranty coverage?

Probably not but it doesn't hurt to ask...

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
My Jaguar offer last year was around £900 and having had to fight for a couple of items that should reasonably been covered by the Approved Used Warranty, I didn't renew.

My son had an RAC Premium Warranty on his Audi A3 which shed a brake dust shield and had to have two rear dampers and one rear spring fitted just before Christmas. None of those items were covered as they were at pains to point out that a) they're classed as wear and tear, and b) they were not specifically listed as covered. No end of sensible discussion would have won the arugment with them and as it was all safety related we paid and had it properly repaired.

Check the wording and the covered parts of any warranty you intend to buy very carefully as they will have it in their favour....

Reactions: SuperDoop

·
Administrator
30,260 Posts
Ensure that the definition or treatment of wear and tear items don't, as Steve suggests, render the warranty useless, and also ensure that "consequential damage" IS covered. So that if a fan belt breaks, the ensuing blown cylinder head gasket (if you are unlucky) is covered, not just the fan belt.

Edit - for "fan belt", read "auxiliary drive belt", lol.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I was with MotorEasy for 2 years, never had to claim. The last time the renewal was up they had watered down the plan to get the price down (similar to your quote), and when I read the details a lot wasn't covered, it was quite an extensive list, and nothing as simple as you have posted there.

As said read the documents carefully, then read them again, twice more. Then ring them and if you really really want it, speak to Raj who will knock the price down even more.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I got several quotes when my XF original 3 yr warranty was about to run out.
IIRCC Motor Easy insisted on you using their approved garages, otherwise they would only pay something like £50/hr.
I went with Jaguar. More expensive but, hopefully, better cover.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
There have been the odd reports of people who have made good use of a warranty, but in general most people I've spoken to in person and on forums have been out of pocket with a warranty. Either by just simply not needing to use it, or by not realising they weren't covered. Or as above, it's only covered the initial failure point and not subsequent damage.

I'd generally now go down the self warranty route and just put some aside each month. At the very worse case I didn't have the immediate funds to hand, even a bank loan/credit card would work out cheaper than a lot of warranty payments if you didn't use it for a few years.

I always go by the rule that they're a bit like a bookmakers. They operate as a business and they're there to make money, they will always outdo the punters eventually so for the "average" user, you're always more likely to be out of pocket than the warranty firm will be.

Another thing people will often state is that it's saved me X amount of money getting this job done. Often it's been at a main dealers though which is far in excess of what a lot of us are willing to pay and will often be less than half the price being done at a independent garage, so they've not really saved as much as what they could have done.

The only thing they're selling really is peace of mind, which for some people I get and understand, but not for me.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You make good points.
I went for peace of mind. :)

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
You make good points.
I went for peace of mind. :)
Like I said, it's each to their own, but financially it never seemed to make much sense overall, but there is sometimes more to it than just that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I once bought a cheap watch from Argos for a holiday. Cost £5.99. When I paid the cashier asked if I would like to take out a warranty on the watch for £3.99!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
There have been the odd reports of people who have made good use of a warranty, but in general most people I've spoken to in person and on forums have been out of pocket with a warranty. Either by just simply not needing to use it, or by not realising they weren't covered. Or as above, it's only covered the initial failure point and not subsequent damage.

I'd generally now go down the self warranty route and just put some aside each month. At the very worse case I didn't have the immediate funds to hand, even a bank loan/credit card would work out cheaper than a lot of warranty payments if you didn't use it for a few years.

I always go by the rule that they're a bit like a bookmakers. They operate as a business and they're there to make money, they will always outdo the punters eventually so for the "average" user, you're always more likely to be out of pocket than the warranty firm will be.

Another thing people will often state is that it's saved me X amount of money getting this job done. Often it's been at a main dealers though which is far in excess of what a lot of us are willing to pay and will often be less than half the price being done at a independent garage, so they've not really saved as much as what they could have done.

The only thing they're selling really is peace of mind, which for some people I get and understand, but not for me.
Thank you for your insights, much appreciated. Generally I'm aligning to the fact that most jags beyond 60K mileage are more likely to pick-up a fault and that's where most warranties are 'watered' down...mine is in the 40K range so there is greater choice on the warranties out there but as you say...a potential waste..

Something to ponder about...:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts