Jaguar Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Interestingly, I use my old engine oil to paint my fence. I use brown down pipes to get rain water to my water storage tanks. My brown pipes in places ended up fading to almost white in places. I noticed where I had dripped oil onto the pipes they had gone back to original colour. So I painted the lot with the oil, left it overnight then wiped off the oil. They now look like new.
So Dave's olive oil idea is probably good.
By the way engine oil is great for fences, lasts years. I tell folk's its Jaguar dark oak.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Creosote was (is) a tar-based product, made from coal tar distillate, and fences painted with that stuff would last, so used oil on a fence isn't so daft. Also be a very good water repellant so rot won't set in. Not sure how it'd compare to proprietary fence products though.

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
That was weird. I was reading the last few posts on this thread when the house phone rings. It's our elderly next-door neighbour to say she has taken in a parcel for me. And it's this . .

If the finish is represented by the cap, I shall be impressed. A lovely matte finish.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Take some before and after pics!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Creosote was (is) a tar-based product, made from coal tar distillate, and fences painted with that stuff would last, so used oil on a fence isn't so daft. Also be a very good water repellant so rot won't set in. Not sure how it'd compare to proprietary fence products though.
Actually Alan it is better. I have done both over the last 40 years. Oil is the best by far. If I live another 40 years i will confirm it. But I would be 113 so doubt that.

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
Will do.
Just ordered a wiper-arm puller on the assumption that they ain't going just fall off.

All set for the big disassemble.

Reactions: JayF

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Actually Alan it is better. I have done both over the last 40 years. Oil is the best by far. If I live another 40 years i will confirm it. But I would be 113 so doubt that.
😱.. but, you don't look old enough for that to be the case Fred!!!..

Blame the kids?...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
😱.. but, you don't look old enough for that to be the case Fred!!!..

Blame the kids?...
Thank's Pete
Maybe the kids do help (oh how they help)
I don't really feel much different to when I was 40.
Maybe the lack of stress helps.
I still run up our stairs even though I have fitted a lift. Josie brings the tea up in the morning in it, we use it for taking bedding etc down and up.
I figured it was easier than moving to a bungalow in my old age, god knows how old I am supposed to get to be old, as I don't feel it yet. I may regret saying that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi one and all, i have been cleaning the XJ today, but one thing really annoys me.
The plastic scuttle under the windscreen where the wipers poke through, look dried and grey.
I have been using armorall protectant gloss finish, a waste of time doesn't do anything, ive tried using a black car polish, very messy and doesn't work. The plastic is quite dry and looks grey not black, so what do you guys use ?
i like the plastic to look black not some dried up grey.

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
So, did the scuttle this afternoon. It's easy to get off and the puller works perfectly.
Here's the before pics . .

It took 4 light coats to build up the finish. Here are the after pics . .

·
Registered
23,391 Posts
As an aside to this, I consulted the WSM to check that I removed the scuttle correctly and the bit about removing and refitting the wiper arms refers to "the" dots on the windscreen to aid correct positioning of the wiper blades. "What dots?", I thought (or may have said out loud . . I'm never sure nowadays). So went to check. And surprise, surprise, there ARE two tiny dots in the black glass backing. Go and see for yourselves.
Here are mine . . .

Reactions: JayF and Gav

·
Super Moderator
31,920 Posts
Solution Finish or Gtechniq C4 would be my go tos.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts