Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi one and all, i have been cleaning the XJ today, but one thing really annoys me.
The plastic scuttle under the windscreen where the wipers poke through, look dried and grey.
I have been using armorall protectant gloss finish, a waste of time doesn't do anything, ive tried using a black car polish, very messy and doesn't work. The plastic is quite dry and looks grey not black, so what do you guys use ?
i like the plastic to look black not some dried up grey.

Registered
馃彺鬆仹鬆仮鬆伋鬆仯鬆伌鬆伩X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
Have you tried a heat gun gingerly?

Registered
I know just the stuff but can't think what it's called.

Mine was almost white before I treated it, now it's jet black.

I'll get back to you....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Rigger is this what you use ? i will give it a try, very frustrating to see that crappy dull grey scuttle.
Yes, this is what I use, also the detailer that did my car just a couple of months ago.

Registered
This is what you need. Samcrac swears by it.

I have the same issue with the windscreen scuttle and have been intending to get some of this for months. I'll perhaps get round to it now.

Firm Rampant Member
Olive oil...

Not kidding.

I used the gel on the rubbers and black plastic trims on tAbartha... the effect lasted a few weeks.

Olive oil lasted as long..

Registered
Thanks for the reminder of this thread. I've just ordered some Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer. Will be interesting to compare results.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
Here's one from left field.
A year or two ago a drugged out feral jumped across my bonnet and ripped off my driver's windscreen wiper arm.
While doing so he scratched up the cowl a bit, not real bad but enough to be noticeable and annoying.
I tried all sorts including my go to plastic restorer, Mother's Naturally Black, but nothing worked.
Then one day I hit on a bright idea - why not try the tried and true automotive repair all solution, ye olde WD40?
Lo and behold it worked miraculously, the scratches turned invisible and have stayed that way ever since.

Reactions: DAVENN

Registered
Polytrol colour restorer (owatrol brand).
That is what you want. It鈥檚 marine grade and it will last good 3 years.

Registered
Olive oil...

Not kidding.

I used the gel on the rubbers and black plastic trims on tAbartha... the effect lasted a few weeks.

Olive oil lasted as long..

I'll second this, been doing it on my dad's CRV for a long time now and olive oil is super cheap in comparison.

The oils in the plastics degrade over time but olive oil will replenish it. You usually need a few treatments over a couple of weeks to allow the oil to soak in, then protect it with your favourite product.

I would also suspect that a good quality product with dye in it or something would also soak in but I would also do a repeated course over a few weeks for a long lasting result. I would also still protect it with something.

Registered
Just tried a WD40 equivalent on the Mini wheel arches and I鈥檓 fairly impressed.

The side in the shade came up really well. The side in full sun evaporated too quickly.

May break out the olive oil later鈥

1 - 20 of 36 Posts