Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Perhaps you should try the M50 & make up your own mind about it. I'm struggling to think of anything else that fits your criteria since you've excluded Kia & Tesla.

There's an electric A6 on the horizon that's supposed to be kicking off at £50K but I'd guess that you'd not want the poverty spec after having an iPace?
That A6 actually looks pretty nice, apart from those things at the rear. Found this little article. Sub 4 seconds...

Audi A6 e-Tron
Thankfully the future isn’t entirely SUV shaped, with Audi previewing both Sportback and Avant versions of its upcoming A6 e-Tron. With an expected on sale date some time in 2024, it’ll sit alongside the combustion-powered A6 in a transitional period.
The teased specifications certainly sound tempting, with 800-volt architecture allowing exceedingly rapid charging, the 100kWh battery targeting a 435 mile range in WLTP testing and twin electric motors providing a sub-4.0 second 0-62mph time.

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but are these crazy EV prices reflective of the actual cost of making them, or is it because they aren't sold in big enough numbers yet to drive the prices down? Or some other reason?

· Registered
4,845 Posts
There was a bit of EV slating going on with BBC Radio 2 at lunchtime, a little was about the range and manufacturers apparently misleading - although the same can be said about MPG figures, but the main bulk of complaints was charging stations being out of order etc and this not being known by the car when taking them there. Do the charging stations not report to the cars when they are out of order or are in use?

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Tesla are the only one that report out of service chargers as far as I know.

Manufacturers have to state the NEDC (now WLTP) range tests for vehicles sold in Europe. These are wildly optimistic for EVs & you'll see that many manufacturers have a range calculator on their website so you can enter your personal driving parameters & get an accurate estimate of summer & winter range.
I suppose it's only really going to affect people who can't charge at home and do more than say 200 miles in a day - which I suspect isn't a huge amount.

· Registered
4,845 Posts
Zapmap reports but I'm not sure on how quick the reports come through.
Tesla nav gives you the status of available bays.
Interesting, I wonder why these people on the radio were having such problems. They never mentioned what cars they had though and I'm guessing like reviews, it will always be the few disgruntled who shout the loudest!

· Registered
4,845 Posts
The DT has been a riot ( plenty writeups on EVs recently )..and I've made ever so many new friends over the past few weeks
We were directed to Tebay on the 27th and thought "sod that"...it was bound to be busy.
We arrived home with zero range but enough in the tank.
The nav will direct you to all known charger networks ( not just tesla), I suspect that many didn't know that.
They said that they were being directed to chargers, presumably by their navs? That's what my first thought was, but when they got there the chargers were either taken up or those remaining were broke. It would have been helpful if they had said what cars they were in though.

· Registered
4,845 Posts
I wonder just how many had little experience in making long journeys , using an EV?
The nav will inform tesla drivers of available bays, granted.
What that can't do is inform anyone of the queue , should no bays be available.
What the media did not run a story on was the, say, 400k EV drivers had no issues charging.
What I won't be doing is going on my longer commutes on less than 100% charge , just in case AND will even top up the car well before needed ,again, just in case.
Yeah it would be kinda difficult to inform of queue sizes lol Although, come to think of it, would it be so hard? Google Maps uses people's phones to determine traffic density, so could Tesla use GPS signals from Tesla cars around the charging station to gauge an estimate - obviously just an estimate as some may just be parked up not needing a charge. Not sure how it would work with other manufacturers but that would be pretty cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts