Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi l have a XF 2 2 d sport 2013 can anyone tell me what code reader l would need where to get one and how does it connect thank you

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
they all connect to the OBD2 socket just in front of your right knee if you get my drift.
there are many different readers at many prices but Jaguar specific codes can be read by a number of readers. I use Autel MD802 all system which can read each model. A number of folks on here use icarsoft I believe. There are some extensive discussions on here if you do a search.

·
Registered
21,586 Posts
There are cheap (a few pounds), Bluetooth OBD-II readers on eBay. You plug this in as described by Gordon above and connect to it with your phone and one of a number of free apps you can download. I still have "TorquePro" on my phone. You can then access a surprising amount of info, including most (not all) stored fault codes and clear them.
If you want more, then again as Gordon has mentioned, a few (me included) have spent a bit more on the iCarsoft II reader. This has all the above plus access to most of the onboard modules. It does not allow reprogramming but it can initiate a DPF regen, battery monitor reset and as I recently learned, put the emergency brake into service mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can anybody recammened responsible priced obc reader for xj that’s simple to use that can tell soot level in def and possibly do a forced regen I don’t do a lot of miles So have to change oil filter every six months not a problem but I take for run but don’t no if regen is complete

·
Registered
21,586 Posts
Can anybody recammened responsible priced obc reader for xj that’s simple to use that can tell soot level in def and possibly do a forced regen I don’t do a lot of miles So have to change oil filter every six months not a problem but I take for run but don’t no if regen is complete
Have a read of the post before yours.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have but not well up on these do you need to be able to connect to computer or is a plug in and read also seems to do a lot more than I need but if that is simple to use as you say I will get one so it’s icarsoft v2 you recommend

·
Registered
552 Posts
Look at the Autel AP200 does everything the icarsoft but only £45. Also reads 7 digit codes where the icarsoft reads 5,
plugs into the obd & bluetooth to phone app.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Another one for the Autel AP200 here. It will show live data for your DPF, including how full it is, temperatures above and below it, when the last regen was etc.
A word of warning, if the DPF fills up, my experience suggests that you cannot force a regen with any of the aftermarket OBD tools or the Jaguar SDD software if a related DTC code is showing on the car.

·
Registered
376 Posts
.....If you want more, then again as Gordon has mentioned, a few (me included) have spent a bit more on the iCarsoft II reader. This has all the above plus access to most of the onboard modules. It does not allow reprogramming but it can initiate a DPF regen, battery monitor reset and as I recently learned, put the emergency brake into service mode.
Beware as the Icarsoft II will not reset the "Miles to next service" on a Euro 6 XJ351 to the correct 16000 miles. From reports on this and other forums it will only reset to between 8000 and 11000 miles, I would therefore question whether or not it is resetting the oil dilution level correctly. If Raymondejack has a Euro 5 car then this may not be an issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you all my car is 2016 facelift with eur 6 and adblue very low mileage and short runs should change it really but I love it and would be sorry if I sold it it’s only done 2500 miles since I last serviced it so thought I get a reader so I could see when it needed a run to do a regen and stop get fuel dilution which is the reason it needs oil change so often so will invest in a reader will look at the Aurelio AP 200 that sounds ok Regards Jack

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Does the Autel AP200 have a specific vehicle diagnostic data package or is Jaguar supported under the Diag-Europe package? And will the device work with multiple vehicles or is it VIN locked to the first it's plugged into?

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can buy additional manufacturers for about £20. Although it has the auto find vin feature, you can use it on multipul vehicles.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
The first package is included in the cost and you simply pick the one you need at purchase. I picked Jaguar obviously.

I’ll try it on our Mini and see what happens, but I suspect it will default to a basic ODB set.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts