Jaguar Forum banner
841 - 860 of 874 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
They cost....and many prefer a more simplistic dash layout.
Fair comment on a VW Up or something but I can understand why some would want them on a premium car. It could surely be incorporated into a section of the info screen that you could have on or off as an option?

That said it doesn't particularly bother me personally, not something I've missed. One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Modern cars which still have a temperature gauge are still pretty useless as they often will sit back smack in the middle even if the temperature fluctuates by 20 degrees either side anyway. Presumably just to give the impression the temperature is within a normal range.
Funny you say this because for a while know I was sure that I had read somewhere that the temperature gauges were inferred or essentially not actually accurate. I suppose it's easily tested with an OBD2 scanner, but I have to admit I do still like having a temperature gauge - although I would assume the temperature sensor for the gauge would be the same one used for cars without a gauge in order to provide a high temp warning?

This also makes me think about the engine oil dipstick (or lack of), although not quite the same as that's a manual physical measurement tool. But I've just bought a dipstick because what if my oil level ultrasonic sensor fails and continues to tell me my oil is all good? I like to be able to check for myself as well.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,325 Posts
Funny you say this because for a while know I was sure that I had read somewhere that the temperature gauges were inferred or essentially not actually accurate.
On my XK8 the dial is just replicating the warning light, assume if it goes too high/low it will move and illuminate the relevant warning light.

·
Registered
24,813 Posts
I think it would be more accurate to call this a temperature indicator rather than a gauge. There are no figures on it.

If you want an actual temperature you need a Bluetooth OBDII dongle and something like TorquePro on a phone or tablet.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Reactions: cutlea01

·
Registered
448 Posts
Happens to me every morning, reversing off my drive. It's about 5mph I think and I find it a bit irritating as I use a small shrub as a guide but it disappears when the mirror rises back up. 😮

Sent from my Nexus 10 and a rather nice black XF-S Portfolio
I know this is years old, but I'm pretty sure that the amount the mirror dips can be adjusted in the settings (MY10). I'll have to check to confirm, but if you don't want the mirror to dip just change the amount it dips, or turn the feature off in the settings.

Might be useful for some people as I didn't know initially that it could be adjusted.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,893 Posts
It can, you can adjust it where you want and the car will store this postition.

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you need memory seats for the dipping(?) and as John pointed out it only works at slow speed.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I found my dipped mirror started to lose its settings and it wouldn't return to the correct place when driving off; a nice wee temporary workaround was to use the memory seats settings as they include the mirrors.

Setup Position 1 for normal driving, then move nothing but your mirror into position for reversing and save in Position 2. Then when you go to reverse you just need to press button 2 and wholla, your mirror will dip down, then press 1 once finished.

·
Registered
10,984 Posts
That's exactly what I do Graham.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I found my dipped mirror started to lose its settings and it wouldn't return to the correct place when driving off; a nice wee temporary workaround was to use the memory seats settings as they include the mirrors.

Setup Position 1 for normal driving, then move nothing but your mirror into position for reversing and save in Position 2. Then when you go to reverse you just need to press button 2 and wholla, your mirror will dip down, then press 1 once finished.
That's a great idea, I really like that fix.

I haven't had a problem, but if the mirrors are not returning to the correct position maybe the mirrors are sticking a bit and just need lubing up?

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is more of a 'why does my XF do that'? I'm sure it's been covered millions of times, but why does the brake pressure change when the car is parked? Sometimes I jump in to start and it's squidgy, sometimes it's rock 'ard! Is there a logical explanation?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
This is more of a 'why does my XF do that'? I'm sure it's been covered millions of times, but why does the brake pressure change when the car is parked? Sometimes I jump in to start and it's squidgy, sometimes it's rock 'ard! Is there a logical explanation?
Vacuum leak?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mine shows numbers, but I'm not convinced

View attachment 192426
The temp gauge is just for show. Do you notice that it goes up to the middle and just stays there no matter what? 'Someone I know' used to work at Ford. Apparently there isn't even a real connection to the engine. Its all done on a timer via the BCM.
Vacuum leak?
I thought I read someone else having the same question once? Hmmm. But I never have any braking issues?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Small leak over time you wouldn’t notice once the engine has started and there’s loads of vacuum at the servos disposal.
my sons 09 fiesta doesn’t have a temp gauge so probably a Ford thing

·
Registered
321 Posts
They're designed to leak any excess, if they didn't they would spring a leak due to excess pressure, which can increase even when the car isn't moving, in hot weather for example.
Thanks.
I'm trying wrack my brain where I saw it here before. I think it was someone saying that they had difficulty starting or something, and the answer was to press harder on the brake pedal. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is gold. Maybe it's my accumulator:

EDIT: Maybe I don't have one.....

Found the thread:

·
Registered
Battery powered superhero
5,443 Posts
You'd have thought that the non-return valve fitted at the end of the pipe from the vacuum pump at the brake booster would prevent the vacuum loss. Anyway, looked up the part and depending on VIN it's either £15 or £50, supplied with the pipe.
Font Parallel Rectangle Slope Pattern

Reactions: XF_luvva
841 - 860 of 874 Posts