Jaguar Forum banner
821 - 840 of 874 Posts

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,325 Posts
I spotted the other day that if 2 doors are open, the "Door Open" warning between the 2 dials flashes between the 2 doors alternately, rather than showing both at the same time.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,893 Posts
The thing is once you don't have it, you get over it, I mean I've got one in my x260 and you can see it moving up until it hits half way then stays there. It doesn't really tell you much. The car heats up within 10 mins, like it always does, like every other 2.0 D
In the x250 I,like a lot of owners wish I had it, but when you realise you don't actually need it, I can see why they omitted it.
The car will warm up to operating temp with 10-15 mins and will warn you if it gets too hot.

Same goes for oil level, the car will warn you if it's too low or too high.
Just my tuppence :D

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Usually when the red light show up it’s too late for your engine. Goodbye head gasket or worse goodbye engine.
When I push hard the engine I always keep
An aye on the gauge and I have noticed it moves quite a lot if you ask everything to your engine. Any gentlemen’s car must have temperature gauge 🙂

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Usually when the red light show up it’s too late for your engine. Goodbye head gasket or worse goodbye engine.
When I push hard the engine I always keep
An aye on the gauge and I have noticed it moves quite a lot if you ask everything to your engine. Any gentlemen’s car must have temperature gauge
not true, the car will warn you it's getting over the normal operating temp, then continue with a red warning, if you chose to ignore this then yes you could damage the engine, but that's a different matter.

YELLOW WARNING
ENGINE
TEMPERATURE
HIGH
Amber warning triangle
illuminated in LCD at
temperatures of between
118.0°C (244.4°F) and
119.3°C (246.8°F).
Engine coolant temperature has
exceeded threshold for normal
operation.
Stop vehicle and allow engine
to idle for 5 minutes. Switch off
engine and allow to stand for
not less than 10 minutes. Check
coolant level.
If message re-appears,
investigate coolant system for
leakage.

RED WARNING
ENGINE
OVERHEATING
Red warning triangle
illuminated in LCD at
temperatures of 119.4°C
(247°F) or above.
Engine coolant temperature has
exceeded threshold for normal engine
operation.
Stop vehicle and allow engine
to idle for 5 minutes. Switch off
engine and allow to stand for
not less than 10 minutes. Check
coolant level.
If message re-appears,
investigate coolant system for

·
Registered
448 Posts
I kinda disagree. In a previous life I drove an A5. It had a really nice dash. With needle sweep when you started the engine and all those gimmicks too...

In the jag I find it hard to make out where the red needles are on the dials at a glance. Consequently I just use the digital speed readout because it's bold and its position is predictable. Might as well have the centre display only - and most of that is wasted with a god awful analogue clock face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry, old thread I know, but you can change the clock to digital in the settings (unless it's an MY thing)? Or unless it's just the clock being there in general you didn't like?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Diesel engines run cooler than petrol and so do take longer to get to operating temp. Bluetooth OBD II dongles don't pick up a lot of info but Coolant Temperature is one of them and so is useful for that.
If diesels run cooler then surely they don't need to get as hot, and therefore won't take as long to warm up?

IIRC I saw something in the manual (or somewhere) that said you weren't supposed to sit and wait (for the engine to get hot) with the engine idling, but should drive off straight away? (MY10 3.0D)

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
If diesels run cooler then surely they don't need to get as hot, and therefore won't take as long to warm up?

IIRC I saw something in the manual (or somewhere) that said you weren't supposed to sit and wait (for the engine to get hot) with the engine idling, but should drive off straight away? (MY10 3.0D)
There's probably a variety of reasons for this (including environmental?) but for me it's because the transmission will still be cold.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
There's probably a variety of reasons for this (including environmental?) but for me it's because the transmission will still be cold.
This has always been the recommendation for all manufacturers

Reactions: Coolcity

·
Administrator
31,945 Posts
....because it is the quickest way to warm an engine/transmission up. Idling on the driveway simply wastes fuel and means the engine is operating below normal temperature for longer. Engines are built so that internal clearances are correct at normal operating temperature.

However, I never work a cold engine hard - keeping revs and load down until it has warmed through.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Being of the old school I would love a temperature gauge and an ammeter, I believe both give important early warning of impending faults. Maybe they were removed because a lot of people are unable to interpret the information they are giving. Phil

·
Registered
24,813 Posts
Being of the old school I would love a temperature gauge and an ammeter, I believe both give important early warning of impending faults. Maybe they were removed because a lot of people are unable to interpret the information they are giving. Phil
Temperature gauge in the XJ (X351).

Reactions: JayF

·
Firm Rampant Member
23,225 Posts
Would a cheapo plug in display not give you that?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Modern cars which still have a temperature gauge are still pretty useless as they often will sit back smack in the middle even if the temperature fluctuates by 20 degrees either side anyway. Presumably just to give the impression the temperature is within a normal range.

·
Registered
24,813 Posts
Modern cars which still have a temperature gauge are still pretty useless as they often will sit back smack in the middle even if the temperature fluctuates by 20 degrees either side anyway. Presumably just to give the impression the temperature is within a normal range.
But I don't want to know WHAT the temperature is. I just want to know if it does wander outside the "normal" range.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, my previous car was a Volvo S60 and in the 8 years that I had it I never saw the gauge move once.

My understanding was that Jag removed the temp/oil gauges because they're not needed, the car warns you when there's a problem.

One thing I would like is something to tell you when the DPF is regenerating, and what level the contamination is at.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
But I don't want to know WHAT the temperature is. I just want to know if it does wander outside the "normal" range.
Yep, so a warning rather than a gauge is perfectly acceptable then for most.

It personally never bothered me once not having one, it was a clean simple design. To be honest in most cars you don't really "need" a rev counter either, it's just become so embedded in our subconscious that most people would have a hissy fit if they stopped fitting them.

My golf for instance will swap between 0-100% (electric only) and a rev counter with electric boost.
In electric only mode, it's essentially just mimicking what the pedal travel is, so pretty pointless really.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Would a cheapo plug in display not give you that?
I would like it built into the dash, not a cheapo add on. I appreciate other people might not see the need, I was stating that I personally would have liked to see them retained. Phil

·
Firm Rampant Member
23,225 Posts
I would like it built into the dash, not a cheapo add on. I appreciate other people might not see the need, I was stating that I personally would have liked to see them retained. Phil
They cost....and many prefer a more simplistic dash layout.

Reactions: Coolcity
821 - 840 of 874 Posts