Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 874 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that there are several threads that people put on when they find something that their XF does that they didn't know. I wonder if we could put them all together in one place whether they be amusing, interesting or useful. Maybe the mod could move the already listed ones to here. I'll start........
When my wife drives the car the fuel filler disappears. That is actually true.
If you press the button in the centre of the volume knob with the ignition off then there are several things that are displayed on the screen. Try it and see whats there.
If you set the nearside outside mirror to tilt when in reverse, if you reverse at over 5mph the mirror reverts to its normal driving position but tilts again when you slow down.
If the low fuel warning light comes on then petrol stations are shown on the nav screen.
If your car gets stolen and your vin mark is removed then Jag have installed a hidden VIN mark for the vehicle which can be displayed on the screen and also it is stamped in a hidden place on the vehicles chassis.
You can play a DVD on the screen but not when the vehicle is moving. This is actually an offence in the UK.
You cannot lock the keys in the boot or the tailgate in a Sportbrake as when you close the lid it springs open.
If you look in the bottom of the middle cubby hole in the centre console there is a hole so be careful you do not put small items in there or they will be lost forever.
If you want to find a town centre in the Sat Nav this is now included in the POI menu in the Sportbrake. (not sure about saloon)
I am told but I cannot verify the fact that on the Sportbrake if you have a bulb fail it is shown on the display screen.

Come on guys and gals there must be many more things. Don't keep it to your self. Share it. XBR

·
Banned
9,596 Posts
If you press the Dynamic button and turn the gear selector to Sport there is a whining noise from the front passenger seat! :D

·
Banned
9,596 Posts
Particularly when sat at the lights and a BMW or Audi pulls alongside, Haha ;)

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
If you have an annoying tail-gater behind you coming into a roundabout, using a combination of Dynamic, manual shifting and the right pedal makes cars in the rear view mirror get very small, very fast. Some sort of optical illusion? I think there should be a rear telepscope option on XFR's...

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think we are off topic on this one. XBR

·
Registered
200 Posts
When reversing, the music is muted so that you can hear the sensor beeps, front and rear. Once in P or D, the XF reminds you just how loud you were playing your music before starting the maneuver :afraid:

A cold start will always take out a massive chunk of your predicted range: Switch car off, 540 Miles to go. Start car up next morning, and the global warming fairies have reduced that to 510 Miles. Or has the bloody thing been joyriding itself all night?!

·
Registered
506 Posts
This isn't so much of a "I didn't know it did that" more of a remember if you are pulling forward into a parking space you have to activate the front parking sensors.
This may seem obvious to some people but when I had my test drive in one and had to drive it off the forecourt the salesman's reply to my question of
"Do I have enough space yourside?" was
"It has front and rear parking sensors you will know if you get too close to the other cars".
Two weeks later I was parking at a supermarket and wondering at what point are the front sensors going to warn me I'm too close to the post in front. Luckily I stopped when I thought the sensors can't be active.
You can get rid of the on screen sensor display by touching the screen.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
You can play a DVD on the screen but not when the vehicle is moving. This is actually an offence in the UK.
Quick clarification here: I assume you mean that you cannot SEE the DVD playing on the screen when the vehicle is in motion?

In Australia, the DVD keeps playing (sound from the speakers etc), but the screen has a warning display masking any visible content. Rather handy for music videos, actually...

·
Registered
12,807 Posts
Quick clarification here: I assume you mean that you cannot SEE the DVD playing on the screen when the vehicle is in motion?

In Australia, the DVD keeps playing (sound from the speakers etc), but the screen has a warning display masking any visible content. Rather handy for music videos, actually...
Yes.....

·
Super Moderator
33,655 Posts
My Volvo does that too.

·
Super Moderator
12,543 Posts
My son has got a 2010 Range Rover. The sat nav and everything about the screen looks the same as the XF but when a DVD is playing it continues to do so when driving but the driver can't see it, passenger can, same with TV on it.

·
Administrator
31,918 Posts
Yes, that's the dual screen thing, same on the XK I believe, never been an option on the XF. I understand that the screen resolution takes a dump with that option - is that so? Must admit that the reversing camera picture on my new car is miles better than the old.

·
Super Moderator
12,543 Posts
The reversing camera on my previous 2.7 had no guide lines or anything but it did come on almost instantly when reverse was selected. Current car I can start it, put seat belt on, reverse from parking space and drive off before the camera comes on.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The reversing camera on my previous 2.7 had no guide lines or anything but it did come on almost instantly when reverse was selected. Current car I can start it, put seat belt on, reverse from parking space and drive off before the camera comes on.
On mine I can put the car into R and have a picture on the screen before the cents have finished revolving. I wonder if its a MY13 update or if you've got a duff one?

1 - 20 of 874 Posts