Jaguar Forum banner

501 - 520 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
"Nicola Sturgeon says she wants to keep trade flowing across an England-Scotland border if an independent Scotland re-joined the European Union. "
Scottish election 2021: Sturgeon faces questions over 'hard border'

From the same article: "Ms Sturgeon was questioned on the practical details of re-joining the EU after The Sunday Times published details of a study which suggested Scotland's deficit exceeds EU membership restrictions."

I hope Scotland gets what they want, either way, but I even more hope that an agreeable leader, rather than the current and the previous, shows up and gets voted in.. soon...

·
19,677 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
That doesn't make good reading in the slightest.

I'd like to see how Nippy squirms out of that one.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeestminster! lol

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
That doesn't make good reading in the slightest.

I'd like to see how Nippy squirms out of that one.
I don't think she'll even bother trying.. She'll just ignore it.. by not speaking about it (she appears to be the only one with a regular 'spouting' opportunity) and continuing blethering on about other stuff/blaming anyone else about other stuff until it gets forgotten...

Not that I'm a cynic you understand... ;)

·
Administrator
27,359 Posts
The report is clearly written with an agenda but it does highlight a failure of governance when compared to the rest of the UK . Without a 'Sugar Daddy' at Westminster the picture would be a lot worse & that's what independence will mean for Scotland. I doubt the Scottish economy could withstand a 17% cut in public expenditure or an equivalent rise in taxes without entering a depression. Hopes of an EU bailout are mis founded.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
A big worry is that the SNP never appear to be held accountable for anything, nor are there any consequences. To me this is a far cry from democracy and screams authoritarian, leading onto a totalitarian state, with nippy as the supreme leader of course. Look at how difficult it was to get Swinney to release information and even in the end it was half baked. Were we to gain independence, I have the feeling the SNP will introduce a variety of laws and rules to make it impossible to remove them. Sounds familiar to a certain Austrian crazy...

Aside from the mahoosive public spending up here, although God knows whereabouts in the public sector the money is going because I sure as hell don't see it in the public services quality, the GDP of England is around £2 trillion whereas Scotland isn't even £0.2 lol. In fact I think London's GDP is something like twice the size of Scotland. Ok, fair enough the population up here is much smaller but the GDP per capita is much smaller and we do have a large landmass to cover and provide public services to.

But we can't just blame the SNP. The opposition has been poor for a long time and if Labour hadn't become so corrupt in the past then the SNP wouldn't have done so well. Feels like a revolving door this where each party takes their turn to milk the system dry. As for the EU, I get the feeling Sturgeon believes the EU will shower Scotland with money if we got into difficultly. They probably would, but they would own us completely after that. Sorry, but I believe Westminster would look after Scotland far better than Brussels.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 ·
A big worry is that the SNP never appear to be held accountable for anything, nor are there any consequences. To me this is a far cry from democracy and screams authoritarian, leading onto a totalitarian state, with nippy as the supreme leader of course. Look at how difficult it was to get Swinney to release information and even in the end it was half baked. Were we to gain independence, I have the feeling the SNP will introduce a variety of laws and rules to make it impossible to remove them. Sounds familiar to a certain Austrian crazy...

Aside from the mahoosive public spending up here, although God knows whereabouts in the public sector the money is going because I sure as hell don't see it in the public services quality, the GDP of England is around £2 trillion whereas Scotland isn't even £0.2 lol. In fact I think London's GDP is something like twice the size of Scotland. Ok, fair enough the population up here is much smaller but the GDP per capita is much smaller and we do have a large landmass to cover and provide public services to.

But we can't just blame the SNP. The opposition has been poor for a long time and if Labour hadn't become so corrupt in the past then the SNP wouldn't have done so well. Feels like a revolving door this where each party takes their turn to milk the system dry. As for the EU, I get the feeling Sturgeon believes the EU will shower Scotland with money if we got into difficultly. They probably would, but they would own us completely after that. Sorry, but I believe Westminster would look after Scotland far better than Brussels.
this.. 100%.

before indy 1 ( perhaps it may soon be known as the Great Indy ?) the issue of currency was discussed.

their solution to keeping the £ was that, unless this was granted Scotland would not honour their portion of the national debt .

Nuff said.

Reactions: ninjag

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Hopes of an EU bailout are mis founded.
I wouldn't put it past the EU to be funding all this unrest, and they would welcome being able to make another border for us to deal with.

·
Administrator
27,359 Posts
I wouldn't put it past the EU to be funding all this unrest, and they would welcome being able to make another border for us to deal with.
I also wouldn’t put it past the EU to meddle but when it came to paying for it they’d never get a consensus from all the EU member states.

·
Administrator
27,359 Posts
their solution to keeping the £ was that, unless this was granted Scotland would not honour their portion of the national debt .

Nuff said.
If Scotland defaulted on their share of the national debt they would be unable to sell government debt unless it had an unaffordable yield.

If Scotland did somehow manage to join the EU & Eurozone, it’s quite likely that the ECB would end up lending Scotland the money to fund the debt repayments to Westminster.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Ouch: Scotland's deficit 'tripled to £40bn' as pandemic struck

Bye bye EU membership lol:
"The IFS estimated Scotland’s deficit had risen from 8.6 per cent of GDP in the financial year before Covid to between 22 and 25% of GDP in 2020-21."

But this caught my eye:

"If there was a Yes vote, her plan is for the first elections to an independent Scottish Parliament to be in 2026, followed by re-entry to the EU without a further vote."
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Democracy down the toilet as they plough through our liberties.

There's more, but it's nothing we don't all already know... it's actually quite terrifying how many loonies there are up here supporting this lot.

Pressed on how Scotland would close the deficit, especially in light of the SNP’s spending pledges in its manifesto for next month’s Holyrood election, she [Sturgeon] said the Scottish Government had already set out cautious numbers for the next five-year parliament.

She went on (as usual): “Longer term, if you're projecting forward to when Scotland is independent,, and you're asking how we deal with a deficit, we'll deal with a deficit in the same way, almost every other country across the world that has a deficit deals with that.

“You manage your finances through borrowing, through prudent decisions about public spending. Again, Scotland would not be unique as a country with a deficit.

What numbers? There is no plan other than false promises of big spending which we can't afford and as suspected they would just borrow to cover up until we can borrow no more. And prudent decisions about public spending? What, like her huge salary? The huge MSP expense bills? Huge public sector wages up here and the woeful waste of public money through lending and failed investments?

·
19,677 Posts
Ouch: Scotland's deficit 'tripled to £40bn' as pandemic struck

Bye bye EU membership lol:

But this caught my eye:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Democracy down the toilet as they plough through our liberties.

There's more, but it's nothing we don't all already know... it's actually quite terrifying how many loonies there are up here supporting this lot.

What numbers? There is no plan other than false promises of big spending which we can't afford and as suspected they would just borrow to cover up until we can borrow no more. And prudent decisions about public spending? What, like her huge salary? The huge MSP expense bills? Huge public sector wages up here and the woeful waste of public money through lending and failed investments?
That last bit is worrying.

I can see taxes going up - they already have. Then Scotland will have its very own brain drain, as those who can will leave to find employment in England, Wales or N' Ireland.

Lunacy, sheer lunacy.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
If Scotland defaulted on their share of the national debt they would be unable to sell government debt unless it had an unaffordable yield.

If Scotland did somehow manage to join the EU & Eurozone, it’s quite likely that the ECB would end up lending Scotland the money to fund the debt repayments to Westminster.
agreed but , with Nippy, the normal rules don't apply.

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
More confusion from the SNP this morning, as Constitution Secretary and SNP president Michael Russell has contradicted Nicola Sturgeon over the party’s position on holding a referendum to rejoin the EU after declaring independence. Asked if an independent Scotland would hold a second vote on Europe, Russell said:
“I think that that would depend on the circumstances of the time and what the requirements of the time are. […]There are circumstances in which you could say it would be desirable to have a re-endorsement of it.”
Yet just two weeks ago at the SNP’s manifesto launch, Nicola Sturgeon made it clear that a second EU vote “was not [her] policy”, and that a vote for independence signalled support to re-join the EU immediately. This is the second time in the last week that an SNP MSP has contradicted the party leader on their signature policy"

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
oh oh

Hopefully, election night will be well worth staying up for.

Screenshot_20210429-100327_Chrome.jpg

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
"vote Nippy" say Scotland's foremost Banarama tribute act

Screenshot_20210429-134107_Facebook.jpg

·
Firm Rampant Member
16,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·
The chief executive of NatWest has warned that the bank would move its headquarters out of Scotland if voters opted for independence.

Bailed-out NatWest, which was called Royal Bank of Scotland until last year, has been based in Edinburgh for 294 years.

However, in her first substantive remarks on the potential break-up of the Union since taking over in 2019, Alison Rose said: "In the event that there was independence for Scotland our balance sheet would be too big for an independent Scottish economy. And so we would move our registered headquarters, in the event of independence, to London."

The warning comes days before Scots go to the polls to elect a new devolved government, with the SNP seeking a mandate to hold a second independence referendum.

Ms Rose added: "We are neutral on the issue of Scottish independence. It's something for the Scottish people to decide."

501 - 520 of 607 Posts