Jaguar Forum banner

Wee Nippy.. it's a Nawe then

48K views 1K replies 40 participants last post by  DAVENN 
#1 ·
Whilst our love of Scotland is inversely proportional to their hatred of England ( I've deliberately used that term), perhaps we can try and have a nice discussion on the subject of their independence....

If not, unflattering pics of wee nippy are very welcome.

Sleeve Purple Thigh Knee Street fashion

See less See more
Reactions: dhallworth
#537 ·
It’s depressing and deflating watching the news tonight and looking at the BBC. I’ve spent the evening on Right Move whilst sitting in front of the TV and not one property I’ve looked at has been north of the border.

#539 ·
That would be a shame David as Scotland is absolutely lovely to be in countryside wise, you'd have to move a fair ol' way south to get what you have up there, maybe even Wales!.. :eek:

#541 ·
Nippy's waffling now .
She's talking about "investment".
I assume that "Westminster" will foot the bill..?

She is now whining about the Torrees , Westminster and Boris.....and threatening Ref 2, supported by the lightweight greens

Christ she is simply hateful.

#542 ·
Nippy's waffling now .
She's talking about "investment".
I assume that "Westminster" will foot the bill..?

She is now whining about the Torrees , Westminster and Boris.....and threatening Ref 2, supported by the lightweight greens

Christ she is simply hateful.
I'm now of the opinion that Boris should put the Indyref debate to bed by holding a referendum at the end of June or at the earliest possible date. If Scotland decides to leave the Union we can consign the Barnett formula to the dustbin & let them keep whatever they raise in taxes less the interest on their share of the national debt. 12 months should be ample for the final separation.

I think everyone this side of the border is sick to death of the SNP & I can't see the the point of dragging this out any longer.

#544 ·
I can only see benefits for England if Scotland were to FRO. We might actually get some tax cuts..................or maybe free parking at Hospitals.................or no University tuition fees....................... or..................

Along with many English people, I too am fed up with being told how unreasonable the English are for paying for every bloody thing in Scotland. Time to stop doing it. But first, rebuild the wall, with added watchtowers.

Reactions: MyIRRCat
#545 ·
The flip side is if they get it, the EU would admit them just to create further problems for us.

#547 ·
I don’t see why we would be bothered about our goods crossing into the EU tariff free. Let the EU & Scotland bear the cost of building & patrolling the ‘wall’.

This of course assumes that Spain could be persuaded to vote in favour of admitting Scotland in light of their own Catalonia problem. The Northern states may also be reluctant to take another member that’s a non contributor also can’t meet the fiscal rules. Membership of the Eurozone would be non-negotiable & that would crush the Scottish economy in the same way it has Greece & Italy.

Nippy might imagine herself as the next Angela Merkel but she’ll end up being the latest Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Comparisons to Norway are complete bollocks as Norway has a trillion dollar sovereign wealth fund & Scotland would just have a chunk of (increasing) sovereign debt.

#548 · (Edited)
I don't think there's anywhere near enough education on the potential implications of Scottish independence.

I imagine there will be many companies that will moved thier headquarters away from Scotland as they know the financial system will be in meltdown. Those that voted to remain in the union may even want to move south of the border.

My real concern is what kind of currency we can expect in Scotland. Will they retain the pound in the short term, on Westminsters terms? That's not really independence....

Will they apply for membership to the EU? Again that's not independence, it's probably a worse situation than they may believe they're in now. And that's dependant on if they'll have them....

Will they use/set up thier own bank of Scotland with a new Scottish pound, completely separate the sterling pound? That's independence, but it's a massive gamble as it's likely to devalue faster than the German papiermark in the 1920s.

I agree the issue needs sorting quickly and decisively. If by some chance they decide to stay in the union, then the SNP as a party is effectively over. But we all know what happened last time there was some form of independence vote.....

#549 ·
Can anyone think of any positives for Scotland if it becomes independent?

#551 ·
They wouldn’t need the SNP anymore either!😀

#555 · (Edited)
Just one little fact is being overlooked, ( as a result of which we should totally ignore the shite spewing from the poison dwarf's mouth) - if you actually tot up all the votes cast, Unionist parties polled more votes than separatists.

So where is this "democratic imperative" for a referendum?

#556 ·
Just one little fact is being overlooked, ( a result of which we should totally ignore the shite spewing from the poison dwarf's mouth) - if you actually tot up all the votes cast, Unionist parties polled more votes than separatists.

So where is this "democratic imperative" for a referendum?
the argument there is that some Labour and Conservative voters, for example, would still want another ref.. yeh OK

#557 ·
Yeah, just because they've not voted SNP/ greens etc, doesn't mean they are against another vote/split.

Most polls are showing virtually 50/50 split.

By far the easiest option for me would be to ask the whole of the UK if they want Scotland to remain part of the union. It's a decision all of us should be involved in, not just people who live in Scotland. At least we all get the pleasure of chucking the Scots out then :ROFLMAO:

#558 ·
This is the thing with the Ireland unity vote that will happen at some stage.

It’s all very well and good if Northern Ireland vote to unite with Ireland and leave the UK but ...

Ireland has to vote to accept Northern Ireland back and personally, I can’t ever see that happening.

Ireland has enough of its own problems without having to deal with an unhappy portion of the Northern Irish population as well.

#559 ·
You don't want Scotland out, just think of that insecure land border you'd have to deal with. Scotland would get themselves so broke that the doors would be open to all sorts of unsavoury "saviours".

I'm starting to see nationalists claiming that GERS is some sinister Tory contraption which can't be believed (because it shows that Scotland receives more than it gives). So how are they going to demonstrate the independence is economically better? What figures are they going to use to ascertain this?

It's been known for a long time that GERS isn't accurate, but it's all there is. My question is why haven't they created something more accurate to run in parallel? It's not like they haven't had plenty of time to do so.

Another retort is free uni fees. But as usual the thick and gullible nationalists don't look past Surgeons gobby soundbite. The number of places at unis for Scots is apparently capped, presumably because the government can't afford to fill all the places. A government spokesperson claimed there is no cap, so why are eligible Scots not getting places? Speaking of which, the unis favour non Scottish because they get more money for the fees. I've not looked at the specifics but it sounds like the scottish government are being cheap, which may explain why the unis are asking for extra funding from them.

Sturgeon wants to use the British Pound until the economy is strong enough to create our own currency. She said it herself just the other night. So she's admitting that the economy will weaken under independence. There seems to be this belief that things will just work themselves out. Aye, at what cost to those of us up here who actually work.

And why do we have so many MSPs for such a small population? It's just a big bloated public sector machine up here.

#562 ·
This year has been "hailed" (the SNP love that word... I wonder why) as being a record turnout. 63.2%...a record turnout lol I suppose compared to previous years it is. Hardly representative of the people, especially as I reckon almost all of the nationalists would have made it to the voting station.

But do you see what I mean? Look how sodding lazy people are up here that they can't even be bothered to vote, even when it couldn't be more important to do so.

This year the SNP had even pushed through new rules (with an apparent majority) so that refugees, pre-settled status foreign nationals and 16-17 year olds could vote as well. Whether or not they should or shouldn't be allowed to vote isn't something I've really thought about, but I very much doubt the SNP would have pushed it unless they knew it would be in their favour.

Meanwhile in Australia, the voter count hasn't been below 90% since 1925.

#563 ·
In some countries you are fined if you do not vote. In England it seems the average turnout for local elections was in the 30% range - it is a shame that the apathy party cannot be bothered to field candidates.

This quote has been attributed to Churchill:

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

#572 ·
Reading an Article by Andrew Neal.

Nippy did her utmost, and said as much, to poo poo ( check the photo) another indy ref for the short to medium term.
Of course, she lied .

The proposed indy bill would be " illegal " and will likely be challenged in the Supreme Court.
Hopefully, Boris won't need to sully himself with this- the Union simply need a private individual to do so.

I suspect they'll be a queue ...

#573 ·
It's only illegal on paper.

A court can easily overrule that by precedence if it's deemed to be the "correct" thing to do.

It would by no means be an easy ride.

It would also mean that they're effectively telling and forcing the Scottish people that they're not allowed to leave the union. It's a union between both countries and shouldn't be forced upon by either party. It would almost certainly strengthen thier resolve.

I would suggest by far the best option would be to allow them a referendum. It is still quite clear that there is an appetite for it. Imagine if the EU had said the same thing to the UK as a whole and said it's illegal to have a vote on leaving.......

#577 ·
I don't believe Boris will have to do a single thing. If she did try to "legislate" for a second referendum in the Scottish Parliament, it would be a simple thing for an opposition MSP to remind that body that have no, zero, zilch, ability to do such a thing as it falls under the clear heading of "reserved matters". Over which they have no power at all.
I think the current wall of BS emanting from her is the usual bluster and rubbish aimed at maintaining support for the one trick pony that is the SNP, and has the secondary benefit of deflecting all criticism of their actual record in power away, as usual.

It is a truly terrible situation, as there will be large numbers of people whose lives are immeasurably diminished by all of this. e.g. Drug users.

I think I am going to put her and her ilk on "ignore" for a while.

#586 ·
If the SNP had excelled with their devolved powers then there might be a case for independence - but they achieved exactly the opposite despite higher funding per capita than the rest of the UK. If they can’t make it work when they’re throwing someone else’s money at it, what chance have they got when they haven’t got any money?

The whole country is being bet on swiftly joining the EU & being subsided by them. That’s awfully long odds in my book!

Reactions: MyIRRCat
#587 ·
English Parliament, 650 less Scottish, Welsh & Sinn Fein so 596
England Population, 55.98 million
Number of people per MP: 93,926

Scottish Parliament, 129 MSPS
Scotland Population, 5.454 million
Number of people per MP: 42,279

Scotland’s top 10 best paid for 2019/20 (figure includes bonuses, expenses, salary, pension)
  • 1 - Richard Hall, ex-managing director at Lothian Buses (Edinburgh CC) — £340,553
  • 2 - Peter Duthie, Chief Executive Officer, Scottish Event Campus Ltd (Glasgow CC) — £269,307
  • 3 - Annemarie O’Donnell, Chief Executive of Glasgow City Council — £263,934
  • 4 - Steve Grimmond, Chief Executive of Fife Council — £201,571
  • 5 - Donna Manson, Chief Executive of Highland Council — £199,604
  • 6 - William McFadyen, Director of Finance and Development, Scottish Event Campus Ltd (Glasgow CC) — £199,142
  • 7 - Desmond Murray, Chief Executive of North Lanarkshire Council — £197,998
  • 8 - Lee Harrison, General Manager of Edinburgh Trams (Edinburgh CC) — £194,123
  • 9 - Alistair Gaw, Executive Director of Communities and Families at Edinburgh CC — £193,417
  • 10 - Paul Lawrence, Executive Director of Place at Edinburgh CC — £193,417

Some of these are bigger than the Chief Exec of the NHS and they all earn more than the PM. Living in a dream world up here.