Jaguar Forum banner
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Not that I've ever experienced the issues when exchanging or just disconnecting the battery, if you're going to do the exercise of ensuring the system is truly asleep then can I suggest that you leave the key in the house when going back to the car. It will trigger at least one part of the car's system to wake up just by being close.

Reactions: cutlea01 and PeteA

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
Good point John. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I thought I may as well do a post with an update on my sportbrake CJB removal and washer pump replacement in case it helps anyone else out in the future. I followed the advice from here regarding unlocking the car and leaving it 15 minutes before disconnecting the battery and removing the CJB. I had the CJB out and back in and I've had no problems at all and it required no programming.

You can see here the corrosion inside the connector on the CJB.

I had the CJB apart to check the board in more detail, everything looked good and the corrosion on the pins cleaned up quite easily so I think I have been lucky.

I replaced the pump and but a bullet connector break in each wire from the pump in the wheel well. I didn't take a photo of this. I removed the washer pump pins from the plug in the footwell.

The blue/white and green cables are the washer pump wires, I gave them a clean before reinserting them back into the plug. Interestingly, the worst cable was the green/white cable in the pin above the washer pump cables. You can just about see in the picture that its very green inside the pin, and its actually the corresponding pin on the CJB that is corroded NOT washer pump cables. I could not see any green/white cables coming from anywhere on the washer bottle so I don't know what this cable is for but it goes against the 'water tracking from the washer pump' theory 🤨
However, I cleaned it up and put it back in the plug.

While I had the washer cables de-pinned, I spliced in a 'water break' for want of a better word. My friend suggested the idea of un-sheathing the cables to allow any water tracking inside the insulation to escape in a 'drip loop'. The pictures below hopefully explain what I mean. The cable is unsheathed, looped into a U then a heat shrink sleeve put over it to protect the conductor but allow water to escape (obviously have the opening pointing down).

I spliced these in to the washer pump cables, re-pinned the plug, installed the CJB, plugged everything back in and......washer fluid level low pops up still! 😞

I now think that the washer sensor needs replacing, all of the plugs connecting to the washer bottle were soaking wet. The plug for the fluid level sensor was the worst.

I did give all the plugs a good scrub with a toothbrush and IPA and they all got a coat of a water displacing electrical film but it hasn't helped. So I will be ordering a new fluid level sensor shortly.

I'm not too annoyed as I know I have done some preventative maintenance to hopefully stop any future issues of corrosion in the CJB.

·
Registered
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿X260 R-Sport in Aurora Red
13,039 Posts
Great write up Adam ,looks like you got lucky

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
As Gav says, great write up Adam.. and glad your work didn't cause you any further issues.

G

·
I have finally changed my washer pump on my Sportbrake, as the amount of washer fluid coming through the front washer jets was simply awful, our 1971 cross over VW T2 Camper had better windscreen washer jets! Job all done, I did the break in the wires in November 2019, a month after I bought Jacque Le Jag and today I saw for first hand experience how the washer pump actually pushes water into the loom. I took apart the pump and here are the photos of such a nasty cheap produced pile of c r a p!

·
Registered
10,383 Posts
Nice one Kenny, thanks for the pics, unusual to see brushes not on the end of the arms that they live on.. strange... :unsure:

Reactions: Guest

·
Registered
370 Posts
Adam, did replacing the sensor fix the warning message? I have similar issue and the plug on mine was also wet with slight corrosion. It looks like water gets through the sensor as the inside of the sensor itself was wet and corroded. Unless the water gets in from the plug and into the sensor that way. Water run-off from the car runs in this area so I guess it could get in from the plug end, but perhaps unlikely. I have replaced the sensor (right way around) but still get the message saying fluid low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Adam, did replacing the sensor fix the warning message? I have similar issue and the plug on mine was also wet with slight corrosion. It looks like water gets through the sensor as the inside of the sensor itself was wet and corroded. Unless the water gets in from the plug and into the sensor that way. Water run-off from the car runs in this area so I guess it could get in from the plug end, but perhaps unlikely. I have replaced the sensor (right way around) but still get the message saying fluid low.
Yeah changing the sensor fixed the problem for me, I haven't had the false fluid low message since.

·
Registered
2012 jaguar xf 2.2 sport
10 Posts
I am under the impression that the fluid leaks out the top where the 2 wires exit the pump when under pressure from use. The new pump appears to be moulded with a better block to the water to inhibit leakage. No need for a pricey Jag spec any indy should be able to do it in 30-60mins if you supply the pump.

I did the short version when changing my pump, this required removal of the driver side front wheel. Releasing part of the inner cowl a couple of 10mm down the bottom and the push pins around the mud guard area. I was then able to pull the rear part of the cowl away to enable access to the pump connector, pump and filter which are both just pull out and push in. It's worth trying to syphon some of the fluid off first or get ready with a container to catch it. The wipers may take a few goes to bleed through but having a clean filter helps.
Something like this-:
Hi Alex

For what it’s worth, I have been hit with the same issue on my 2012 ( facelifted ) XF. I’ve a separate thread on this, but in summary, I was able to solder the affected pins ( sitting on Junction C5 in the central fuse box). With a little further assistance from Michael (08292), was able to sort a final issue on the DRLs. Total expense? Beer money for my nephew for his soldering skills...
Don't suppose you can remember how you fixed the drl's, after soldering the words on the back mine only work with the headlights on now. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Very informative post - thanks to all the contributors!

Now my problem... 2013 XF - Got the low level fluid as well and also for some time the headlight spray works on and off. Decided to follow your suggestions and also bought a new headlight pump and a level sensor from ebay.

Wheel off, wheel arch cover off.
Sensor pins corroded - replaced it with the new one and now works OK.
Headlight washer pump replaced but found out the old one is more efficient - so old one went back.
Screen washer pump- water in the socket and plug. Will need to replace it with an OEM (no more ebay) but...I am not sure whether the pump seal leaks or is due to water travelling down from the bulkhead, wipers.
There was a lot of water on all the exposed wiring loom (wish I have taken some pictures now :-( and water travelling down the screen washer pump's 2 wires (after doing a few windscreen wash sprays.

Any ideas what it could be blocked. I had a look but can't see anything.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very informative post - thanks to all the contributors!

Now my problem... 2013 XF - Got the low level fluid as well and also for some time the headlight spray works on and off. Decided to follow your suggestions and also bought a new headlight pump and a level sensor from ebay.
Screen washer pump- water in the socket and plug. Will need to replace it with an OEM (no more ebay) but...I am not sure whether the pump seal leaks or is due to water travelling down from the bulkhead, wipers.

Any ideas what it could be blocked. I had a look but can't see anything.
Perhaps worth considering a febi pump see this post for part number ( or further up that thread if you have a sportbrake), as it appears they make them for ford so are probably reasonable quality, don't forget to put waterproof splices in the wires.

What are you suggesting is blocked?
( If you are getting just a trickle out the washer gets it's probably the non-return tee piece failed, see this thread. )

161 - 180 of 201 Posts