Jaguar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2013 Sportbrake with the above fault, that’s going to cost me over a grand to fix, my question is shouldn’t Jaguar stump up the bill for this as they know about this problem? Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated 👍

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I’ve had the car a year, full dealership service history from new, apart from the last service a few months ago with was a back street garage

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Probably worth getting in touch with EH quoting sections 9 and 10 of the CRA to them. It. seems you problem relates to a design/build issue rather than wear and tear and so opening the way for an argument that the car was not fit for purpose/of satistactory quality. They will probably not want to listen but the small claims court is fairly simple to use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's only the pumps on the facelift models that are failing, jaguar will only fix for free if there is still an approved warranty on the car. Of course the gradual deterioration peaks just at the end of normal warranty. Earlier face lift models are failing in greater numbers now and most cars will suffer eventually unless preventative action is taken. This is as simple as changing to the new upgraded pump before the corrosion gets into the CJB or risk a hefty bill. The new improved oe pump is around £70 and less than 1hr DIY, so a worthwhile fix. I did my 64 plate last year before the pump failed, even though it is still under approved warranty.

If Jaguar have been servicing the car it might be worth contacting Jaguar CR and push for a contribution given it's a known fault.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Alex

For what it’s worth, I have been hit with the same issue on my 2012 ( facelifted ) XF. I’ve a separate thread on this, but in summary, I was able to solder the affected pins ( sitting on Junction C5 in the central fuse box). With a little further assistance from Michael (08292), was able to sort a final issue on the DRLs. Total expense? Beer money for my nephew for his soldering skills...

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,084 Posts
It's only the pumps on the facelift models that are failing, jaguar will only fix for free if there is still an approved warranty on the car. Of course the gradual deterioration peaks just at the end of normal warranty. Earlier face lift models are failing in greater numbers now and most cars will suffer eventually unless preventative action is taken. This is as simple as changing to the new upgraded pump before the corrosion gets into the CJB or risk a hefty bill. The new improved oe pump is around £70 and less than 1hr DIY, so a worthwhile fix. I did my 64 plate last year before the pump failed, even though it is still under approved warranty.

If Jaguar have been servicing the car it might be worth contacting Jaguar CR and push for a contribution given it's a known fault.
Do you have the part number, will be helpful to others.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Alex

For what it’s worth, I have been hit with the same issue on my 2012 ( facelifted ) XF. I’ve a separate thread on this, but in summary, I was able to solder the affected pins ( sitting on Junction C5 in the central fuse box). With a little further assistance from Michael (08292), was able to sort a final issue on the DRLs. Total expense? Beer money for my nephew for his soldering skills...
I read your fix, well done, but did you stop the water going in when you fixed the pins? If not it could be back to bite you again at some stage

Do you have the part number, will be helpful to others.
This is the OE part number C2Z30987 about £65+vat there is also an after market available which is C2Z30987A about £40+vat. I got mine online from Justjags they do both but I paid the extra just in case lol! It came in a Jag box from France but the pump was made in China as was the one I took off :rolleyes:

Dont buy other part numbers offered on ebay etc they are the ones we are removing. If you want to check for a leak pull the C5 connector which is the Top Left one in the CJB the affected area will be inside, the bottom pins more often than not. Also if you hang the pulled lead down you may see water drip from it. If everything is A ok do yourself a favour and change the pump, could save you £1,500 it's a good time to clean the filter behind while you are at it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had this problem on a pre-facelift XFS resulting in various weird symptoms - including the glove box flying open and hitting any passenger on the knees every time I pressed the washer button:eek:

As stated on this thread https://www.jaginfo.org/showthread.php?68602-Glove-box-opens-when-windscreen-washer-button-pressed!&p=1560986#post1560986 Jaguar CRC eventually agreed to cover all the repair work although my Jag approved warranty had expired a couple of months earlier.

However the CJB needed repair rather than complete replacement so whether they would have covered that major expense had it been necessary, I don't know. But it does appear to be a design issue which is well known so it could well be worth your contacting CRC to make your case although it may not help that your purchase and last service were not from Jaguar dealers.

Once bitten twice shy, so I asked my local dealer to check the CJB on my current XFR at the last service which they did free of charge, and all OK, but I am wondering whether to install the improved pump mentioned above before my warranty expires.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of exactly where the CJB and wiring along which the water runs are located? Started looking in the workshop manual but only have the one for the pre-facelift diesels so it may be different in my car.

If I knew where to look I would consider having a poke and perhaps doing something preventive to stop any water reaching the CJB.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 2013 Sportbrake with the above fault, that’s going to cost me over a grand to fix, my question is shouldn’t Jaguar stump up the bill for this as they know about this problem? Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated ��
Has the screen been replaced? This is the normal culprit. If so, you should be chasing the cowboy screen fitters.

·
Registered
2021 F-Pace P250 SE R-Dynamic, 2004 XK8 Coupe 4.2
5,084 Posts
Thx Poundy

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Jaguar Customer Relations Centre

They have been pretty good with me in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Look at the “Hazards come on” topic

You could be looking at£1200 to £1500 from a dealer according to what I’ve read.

I’m a little concerned myself having an early facelift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Does anyone have any pics of exactly where the CJB and wiring along which the water runs are located? Started looking in the workshop manual but only have the one for the pre-facelift diesels so it may be different in my car.

If I knew where to look I would consider having a poke and perhaps doing something preventive to stop any water reaching the CJB.
The CJB is on the right of the drivers side footwell behind the fusebox cover. The culprit is the large pull out connector at the top left (C5), pull the plug out and check inside the socket for water/ corrosion, you may need to lift the chrome sill plate and ease the side trim off to get a decent view. If it's still dry in there, happy days you just need to replace the screen washer pump in the drivers side wheel arch, less than an hour and you are home and dry job done, some also install a break in the wires to stop any future water creep. But I figuered if the new pump doesn't leak why bother. If it's wet in there the saga may continue and need more action.

The pump to change is the windscreen pump not the headlight pump, it leaks out the top and pushes up the wires each time the pump is used so consequently it seems reasonable to expect higher mileage cars to suffer sooner than low. I get the impression it is more a case of when not if it will happen.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts