Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I just went to check my pollen filter and my mat and carpet is wet. Pollen filler and everything else in there is bone dry so very strange?

Would turning off climate control for a week to see if it dries out be worth trying?

Edit: here's a photo, the mat is only a little damp which is strange as it has got rubber underneath it so I don't know how it's managed to travel up. On the carpet it's wet only where I've ruffled it up on the flat bit and mainly near the kick plate. All the side bits and the part where you rest your feet are bone dry.

DSC_0056-1376x774.jpg

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,183 Posts
If only there was a phone No that one could ring to help with this ....

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Bellend of the year award coming up...

Just got home with the dog as he was staying with my parents whilst the rest of us were out at the safari and I've had the heater blowing hot onto the carpet and it's now dry! That was quick. So I asked the wife for the truth about if anything spilled and apparently one of the children's water bottles had leaked which was in the rucksack that she annoying keeps in the footwell rather than the boot.

Phew, but I now feel a little silly haha!

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,183 Posts

Just got home with the dog as he was staying with my parents whilst the rest of us were out at the safari and I've had the heater blowing hot onto the carpet and it's now dry! That was quick. So I asked the wife for the truth about if anything spilled and apparently one of the children's water bottles had leaked which was in the rucksack that she annoying keeps in the footwell rather than the boot.

Chortle...

·
Registered
18,733 Posts

Chuckle. Giggle. Titter.

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Super Moderator
27,363 Posts
My wife does that. Massive car but insists on squeezing everything she takes with her in the passenger footwell. Meanwhile the rest of the car is empty.

Glad it’s been identified though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,183 Posts
My wife does that. Massive car but insists on squeezing everything she takes with her in the passenger footwell. Meanwhile the rest of the car is empty.

Glad it’s been identified though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And scrapes her bag against the glove box and trim whilst she's at it?

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,183 Posts

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
This! Always a massive handbag crammed in the passenger footwell. Nobody in the back and empty boot. I'm lucky my piano black spear is still unscathed but don't know how long that will last. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
And scrapes her bag against the glove box and trim whilst she's at it?
Oooooo don't even go there! Does my head in that!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hey, my wife too! I have (had) pristine figured ebony trim, now scratched on the passenger side, caused by the above. I also caught her filing her nails the other day, I saw this fine dust floating in the air while sat at red lights, then noticed what she was doing. "Oi" I said as it started to settle and coat the black leather dash. "What?" was the reply :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a fair point ref the text, sorry I just joined, so I had this problem of water in the passenger well, it was clear fresh water after rain or even me washing the car, I decided to remove the panel under the glove box and discovered that it was wet, I decided to leave this out and what then happened with it rained was that water dripped down and onto the bonnet release so I then had to sellotape a bag each rainy night to catch the water, "SHOCKING EH" I wrongly thought that the drain points were blocked but you just cant get to them, I didn't want to go back to Statstone as my "approved used" warranty does not include ingress and you just know how much those guys charge.

I then booked into my local garage, they took out the pollen filter and it was bone dry. They then took the pollen housing out and sealed around the house in thinking the water was getting in there. That evening it rained and the bag had clean water in it, I was flattened!!! I then read a blog somewhere from the states quoting an issue with the scuttle seal, this is the seal to the windscreen, I went out and bought some black insulation tape and ran a line along the rubber of the scuttle so that water could not get between that and the windscreen, You can't really see it as it is black so I was happy to leave it there as a trial, after washing my car and two nights of rain the footwell was completely dry, It seems to work, this week ona dry day I am goin to run a tny bead of clear mastic to replace the black tape just to form a seal. give the tape a try, it seems to work 100%.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
That's a really useful post. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,733 Posts
I think I'd bite the bullet and get Auto Windscreens or A.N.Other to come out and refit the windscreen.
@Morse_147: Welcome to the forum. You did have us wondering. (Probably not a good idea to post your mobile number on the open forum. You can edit the post.)

Sent from my Nexus 10 and an XJ Portfolio. . . ☺

·
Firm Rampant Member
13,183 Posts
That is a fair point ref the text, sorry I just joined, so I had this problem of water in the passenger well, it was clear fresh water after rain or even me washing the car, I decided to remove the panel under the glove box and discovered that it was wet, I decided to leave this out and what then happened with it rained was that water dripped down and onto the bonnet release so I then had to sellotape a bag each rainy night to catch the water, "SHOCKING EH" I wrongly thought that the drain points were blocked but you just cant get to them, I didn't want to go back to Statstone as my "approved used" warranty does not include ingress and you just know how much those guys charge.

I then booked into my local garage, they took out the pollen filter and it was bone dry. They then took the pollen housing out and sealed around the house in thinking the water was getting in there. That evening it rained and the bag had clean water in it, I was flattened!!! I then read a blog somewhere from the states quoting an issue with the scuttle seal, this is the seal to the windscreen, I went out and bought some black insulation tape and ran a line along the rubber of the scuttle so that water could not get between that and the windscreen, You can't really see it as it is black so I was happy to leave it there as a trial, after washing my car and two nights of rain the footwell was completely dry, It seems to work, this week ona dry day I am goin to run a tny bead of clear mastic to replace the black tape just to form a seal. give the tape a try, it seems to work 100%.

Not had a leaky scuttle yet but this is a great contribution.
However, isn't the use of mastic a sticking plaster ?
What is the route cause of this ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I guess its not 100% ideal to use clear sealant but the route of the problem seems to be that the seal on the scuttle cover does wear even within a couple of years and this is the only seal that stops water running down the screen into the affected area, I dont think a screen refit will do it as the water doesn't come under the screen, what we all need to know that if this seal breaks down where does the water then go to make its way into the cabin, its an obvious design fault. my solution will at least stop it going under the scuttle seal, clear mastic will not be seen as I will remove the scuttle cover and then apply the thin bead of clear sealant under. This seems to be the best way to cure this issue. BTW I emailed the General Manager at Stratstone about 2 weeks ago and sent pictures, guess what, NO RESPONSE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, just a quick update, last night we had rain and boy did we have rain right through until this morning. I just went out to check the status of the issue and the passenger well is bone dry, not a single drop so the tape is doing the trick, as I say it cant be seen as it is black so I am now 110% moved to apply that clear seal when we get the next dry day. So, this is not a screen seal issue as suggested, it is a seal between the screen and the scuttle housing cover. Its a really poor design fault that has angst so many owners, I am so relieved that my car is now water tight, its been a huge concern to me for 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
18,733 Posts
I must admit that I can't envisage where you're referring to if not the seal that adheres (and seals) the windscreen to the bodywork. And this bead is made anew whenever a new windscreen is fitted.
If you're referring to the plastic trim that run along the bottom edge of the windscreen, that's all it is. If, by sealing that, you're stopping a leak then it's just preventing the water from reaching the part of the windscreen seal that is actually leaking. (I'd have thought . . . )
Could you post a photo?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts