Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,014 Posts
Never had any warranty on any other make, but IMO the 'peace of mind' is worth it - I'm hands on, and often averse to paying extra 'insurances'........each to their own.....

Sent from BLUE heaven using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some interesting points, thanks for sharing your thoughts . Varied opinions and experiences and all valid. It’s expensive piece of mind versus the slight risk of a much bigger bill than the warranty premiums.

I’ll see what they quote for a warranty in a few weeks, but I think I’m skewed to self insure. The v6 diesel is a reasonably well known lump, although ever more complex with euro 6 etc. but as suggested an independent would do any work cheaper than a main dealer anyway if the worst happened, and the premiums would go a long way towards such work.

I could be unlucky, but it’s a risk game and on balance the odds are I’d save money without it. (But then again I often spend money on a lottery ticket, knowing the odds aren’t in my favour to win that ).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I guess if you get lucky, hindsight is great. I’d rather have some cover, which was lucky with £15 of engine work, plus other small jobs in a year.
+1

I never bought an extended warranty and am out of warranty now but would never have bought neither of my XFs without an initial warranty. My old XFS didn't make much use of the warranty but with my current car I'd have to shelf out for a complete new engine and supercharger if it wasn't for the warranty.

Looking at the common issues, likelihood and costs of things that can go wrong with these cars it really boils down to which engine you have, its age/condition and if its common issues have occurred and been fixed. Looking at the most common engine types I'd say:

AJ133/126: highly recommended, especially the older the car is and especially if chain tensioners, supercharger and coolant system are still original.

AJ126: If the engine is pre MY15 warranty is a must have.

3.0D: Can be good for peace of mind especially with older cars and/or if the standard stuff like inlet manifolds haven't been fixed. I'd probably put money away instead though.

2.2D: An expensive warranty would probably be a waste of money. Definitely better to put some money away if you need peace of mind.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
I'd go with Geoff too.

I've had issues with mine, but in the time I've had it, I'm still miles better off not having a warranty.

My take on it is that the warranty company is a business and is there to make money. They won't make money by saving their customers money. Odds are you're better off without them.

It's a bit like gambling, the bookies overall will never ever make a loss, for the individual however, they think they've won and beaten them when they get a good result.

Theres also the aspect of having work done at the dealer at vastly inflated prices, which skews everything's thinking. If you've had £5k worth of work done at the dealer under warranty, a good Indy might do the same job for a year's worth of warranty payments.
And by exactly the same token, all insurance companies are there to make money, also. But I'll lay odds you have home insurance, building insurance, FULLY COMP car insurance. Why, when they're making money out of you not claiming?
I'll take the peace-of-mind, thanks.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
+1

I never bought an extended warranty and am out of warranty now but would never have bought neither of my XFs without an initial warranty. My old XFS didn't make much use of the warranty but with my current car I'd have to shelf out for a complete new engine and supercharger if it wasn't for the warranty.

Looking at the common issues, likelihood and costs of things that can go wrong with these cars it really boils down to which engine you have, its age/condition and if its common issues have occurred and been fixed. Looking at the most common engine types I'd say:

AJ133/126: highly recommended, especially the older the car is and especially if chain tensioners, supercharger and coolant system are still original.

AJ126: If the engine is pre MY15 warranty is a must have.

3.0D: Can be good for peace of mind especially with older cars and/or if the standard stuff like inlet manifolds haven't been fixed. I'd probably put money away instead though.

2.2D: An expensive warranty would probably be a waste of money. Definitely better to put some money away if you need peace of mind.

Fair summary. 3.0d are better in Jags. Not so good in Land Rovers

But a warranty puts it in the dealer’s court, and saves a lot of trauma despite consumer protection. If you need a car on a daily basis then warranty it is. If you’re retired and can afford to argue with peeps, then take the chance.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
And by exactly the same token, all insurance companies are there to make money, also. But I'll lay odds you have home insurance, building insurance, FULLY COMP car insurance. Why, when they're making money out of you not claiming?
I'll take the peace-of-mind, thanks.
I have to have home insurance because my lender tells me I have to do so.

Likewise I have to have car insurance because the police tell me I have to do so. Third party is the same cost these days so you might as well have fully comp.

A car warranty is optional and the risk of not having it is far far lower.

Plus my home insurance is about £160 a year to cover me for £180,000 worth of damages, a car warranty is £1000+ a year to cover me (personally) for £9000 a year.

You'd argue your car is worth more (than mine), and it is, but I still couldn't justify it personally, what you do with your own money is entirely up to you but it won't sway me.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Not looking to "sway" you, Phil. I really don't care whether or not you have extended warranty on your car. But you're absolutely right. It's my money and I'll spend it where it does me most good.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Not looking to "sway" you, Phil. I really don't care whether or not you have extended warranty on your car. But you're absolutely right. It's my money and I'll spend it where it does me most good.
Ok 😃👍

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I never had an extended warranty on the X250 but I’m hearing that the 2.0D Ingenium diesel isn’t as robust, so I’ll probably take the warranty next year.

I’m told that regular oil changes are a must every 8-10k on this one. I normally do an annual service just before MOT despite the actual service interval so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the engine, it’s a very reliable unit. There is plenty of this engine around with 180-200 k miles without any issue.
Problem is oil dilution, short commuting causing a lot of diesel going into the sump mixing with oil.
I wouldn’t bother to get the expensive warranty extension from Jaguar, it will not cover this problem. just stick with the Inboard computer, it will tell your when it’s time to replace oil and filter. It will detect oil diltuion as well (even though there is no sensor, just algorithm)

·
Administrator
27,302 Posts
I never had an extended warranty on the X250 but I’m hearing that the 2.0D Ingenium diesel isn’t as robust, so I’ll probably take the warranty next year.

I’m told that regular oil changes are a must every 8-10k on this one. I normally do an annual service just before MOT despite the actual service interval so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oil changes at that frequency are a very good idea for any engine.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
This time last year I was debating whether to extend my warranty. Jaguar wanted £1300 for another year.

I decided not to and chance it, mainly because of having Swallows on my doorstep and knowing I get great rates from them anyway.

Jaguar would of won because I've not had anything go wrong that I could of claimed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
You'd think there was an environment cost to having to change the oil so often for a car that does shorter journeys. I'm assuming that will have all been taken into account in the euro 6 specs? 🙄

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I got an AutoTrust Formula X warranty with my car and I bought an additional year for £500 because it was my first Jaguar and didn't know what to expect. I only see warranties as something of a last resort for major engine or transmission problems, so I really and wouldn't rely on one in general. But this AutoTrust one gets very good reviews and the Infiniti dealership also said they had few problems dealing with them.

In hindsight I would have probably just gone with one year as I reckon that's enough time to find out if there's something seriously wrong and also get used to what noises your car should and shouldn't make so you can take action before something goes bang.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts