Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has took out warranty for their cars.

The bill from the injector issue has definitely given me a kick up the ass and realised anything can happen at anytime.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Jaguar extended is £930 on my R-S. better than the non-Jag ones and it covered almost £15k of engine work on it last warranty-year.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
The Jaguar extended warranty on my XJ has just cost me a tad under £1300. This includes Jag Assist and anything up to the current market value of the car.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Really depends on which engine you have and to what extent its common issues already have been fixed.

Looks like you have an early facelift R and with that engine I'd definitely try to have a warranty, unless chain tensioners, the supercharger, water pump, coolant system pipes and the likes already have been sorted.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Just about to renew mine. I got away with £960 last year (dealer used old price) but this year it is £1,100 and has to be done online.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,302 Posts
Have you ever checked the cost for an equivalent warranty with the likes of Warranty Direct? The Jag "extended" warranty is, after all, only an aftermarket insurance from Car Plan, so there must be a Jag markup on it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Really depends on which engine you have and to what extent its common issues already have been fixed.

Looks like you have an early facelift R and with that engine I'd definitely try to have a warranty, unless chain tensioners, the supercharger, water pump, coolant system pipes and the likes already have been sorted.
If all that has been done, are you not really driving an Austin.....? A Steve Austin......? (We have the technology.....we can rebuild him.....) LOL. Had intended looking at some kinda warranty, but presume a six year old car with 10k miles, having been stored and not serviced at TIMES required, warranty company would refuse. Wot yous fink......?

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Have you ever checked the cost for an equivalent warranty with the likes of Warranty Direct? The Jag "extended" warranty is, after all, only an aftermarket insurance from Car Plan, so there must be a Jag markup on it.
Wilf, last time I checked Warranty Direct, it was more expensive than the Jaguar Extended Warranty. I would rather have a dealership on my side and arguing the toss.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ll have this dilemma soon when the Jaguar Used Approved warranty on my 2016 xf 3ds runs out.

I’m planning on keeping the car for a few years, so I’m tempted to just keep the money I’d fork out in warranty premiums squirrelled away in case of a big bill.

If a warranty is typically about £1000pa what are the chances of needing over £5000 of work over the next 5 years for example. Anything unused would come in handy towards a deposit on my next car. On the other hand a warranty certainly gives peace of mind.

What’s a realistic worst case bill scenario that could leave me seriously out of pocket with this ‘self insurance’ approach?

Bottom line ‘am I feeling lucky?’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
Never bought a Warranty for anything and never regretted it.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Possibly worst jobs on XFS would have been inlet manifolds (both), or junction boxes, but may not apply to X260. I can’t say I’ve seen people paying more than £2k.

ive had a MotorEasy warranty for last 3 years, never had a claim so no idea if they will pay out (I did just replace a light unit but that was a specific exclusion). Check carefully as they all have different levels of cover.

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
That's the trouble with warranties. You never need them.

Until the day you do.
Had 2 XF's over a 9 year period and would not have benefited from having any warranty.

·
Registered
17,195 Posts
Had 2 XF's over a 9 year period and would not have benefited from having any warranty.
And I'm genuinely pleased for you, Geoff. But warranties serve a purpose and we all know that car's CAN go wrong even if you've never personally experienced it.

·
Super Moderator
11,004 Posts
Got a fleet of Vans that get used and abused, get serviced regularly but rarely go wrong.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Never bought a Warranty for anything and never regretted it.
I guess if you get lucky, hindsight is great. I’d rather have some cover, which was lucky with £15 of engine work, plus other small jobs in a year.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
I'd go with Geoff too.

I've had issues with mine, but in the time I've had it, I'm still miles better off not having a warranty.

My take on it is that the warranty company is a business and is there to make money. They won't make money by saving their customers money. Odds are you're better off without them.

It's a bit like gambling, the bookies overall will never ever make a loss, for the individual however, they think they've won and beaten them when they get a good result.

Theres also the aspect of having work done at the dealer at vastly inflated prices, which skews everything's thinking. If you've had £5k worth of work done at the dealer under warranty, a good Indy might do the same job for a year's worth of warranty payments.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts