Jaguar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per the title really :)

Looking for a Spires exhaust but am not prepared to pay the cost new. Not in a rush either so can wait if someone has one they’re likely to be removing.

Anybody got one? :D

Thanks

David.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
You have a 5.0 V8. Buy a new one and don’t be a tightarse to make your car sound great. 😂

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
I recently found out who makes them for Spires. Spires add a massive markup on their Jag exhausts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a 5.0 V8. Buy a new one and don’t be a tightarse to make your car sound great. 😂
😂

I just don’t see the value in a grand for an exhaust! Especially after having read what Chris has posted above a couple of times recently!

David.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
656 Posts
I recently found out who makes them for Spires. Spires add a massive markup on their Jag exhausts.

Care to share? I’d be very tempted to get it at a more reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Apparently they won’t sell you anything if you say it’s for a Jaguar.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
😂

I just don’t see the value in a grand for an exhaust! Especially after having read what Chris has posted above a couple of times recently!

David.
But that's the same for everything you buy. When I worked at Jag - the boggo XF cost £13K to make. So you'd be better off going around all the suppliers, getting all the bits at the cost they sell to Jag and build an XF yourself. It's business.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts

Just like food outlets. They make at least 100% mark up when they sell to the public. They have premises to run and maintain and in some case staff to pay. That's life!

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
Just like food outlets. They make at least 100% mark up when they sell to the public. They have premises to run and maintain and in some case staff to pay. That's life!
No really? Never would have guessed......

But Spires is just one person, working in a unit. The company that makes the exhausts is just the same, they have overheads too.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
No really? Never would have guessed......

But Spires is just one person, working in a unit. The company that makes the exhausts is just the same, they have overheads too.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Apparently they won’t sell you anything if you say it’s for a Jaguar.

I can see what you mean - the site which hasn’t got much on it, only shows exhausts for an MG.

Wonder if it’s worth calling and asking if they can make a custom exhaust for my Jaguar. Worst that can happen is they say no?

·
Super Moderator
26,808 Posts
I can see what you mean - the site which hasn’t got much on it, only shows exhausts for an MG.

Wonder if it’s worth calling and asking if they can make a custom exhaust for my Jaguar. Worst that can happen is they say no?
No harm asking.

Spires wanted £310 for new exhaust tips for mine. A reduced price from the £320 +VAT he normally charges. That’s more than I paid for my entire exhaust.

I don’t mind companies making money, but I just feel that’s a bit excessive to charge so much for something that can be made just the same elsewhere. There’s no secret sauce Spires are adding to the exhaust. They may have tried a few different iterations to get the sound they wanted but that’s it really (unless I’m missing something).

·
Founder member
5,012 Posts

Try these people always very busy.

·
Super Moderator
19,902 Posts

Try these people always very busy.
Yes when we were there they were custom making all sorts of exhausts and you could tell them how you wanted it to sound.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I guess with Spires it’s supply and demand. If you don’t want to pay their price, then others will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts