Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XF-S AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I apologize if this has been posted already, But I wanted some feedback especially from anyone who resides in Canada. I love my XF but the thing is at times I feel like the car has a lot more to offer. It's electronically limited to 205km/h, which is substantially behind the Germans who are limited to 250km/h, and newer cars will outrun my car flat out. I was looking into tuning options and came across a Tune by Velocity AP, that can boost power to 450BHP & 440ft/lbs with the crank pulley.

In Toronto, it's going to cost about $4000 to do this. I wanted to hear from people who have got this tune. I am mortified messing with it as I don't want to cause any damage, and I don't want to get a tune that will be unreliable either. But it appears that I either need to buy a faster car or get the XF tuned. I love the car, and I love how it drives so I don't really want to get rid of it just yet.

Is there anyone out there with this tune on their XF-S? are there issues that you have experienced and has anyone put this on the Dyno to see what kind of gains are actually achieved. Officially Jaguar Canada states 5.1 sec for 0-60, does anyone know what is achieved after the tune? Are the engine and transmission able to handle all the extra power? or will it be getting pushed to its limit thus increasing the likely hood of failure? $4000 is a lot of money and I don't really want to spend it if the gains are going to be minimal or barely noticeable. Thank you for reading! (also if anyone knows any local shops that offer other tunes please feel free to share!)

·
Registered
2014 F-Type S V6 coupe most of the fruit and a few mods.
3,784 Posts
Do it, it is by far the best bang for your buck you can get on any Jag with the AJ126!
I have had this pulley (well the Eurotoys virtually identical one) and tune on my F-Type for over three years now with zero problems, it is completely reliable and the after-sales service from VAP is outstanding. There are dozens of happy customers over on the Yank forum and not a single complaint about the tune or service, and VAP have now done thousands of these pulley and tune kits across the AJ126 and AJ133 (V8).
The increase in performance, acceleration and throttle response is massive, even starting with the 380 PS F-Type S.
$4,000 CAN sounds a bit high though, according to the VAP web page it should cost you $2617 CAN, see here: 3.0L V6 Supercharged Jaguar/Land Rover AJ126 ECU Tuning – Velocity Automotive Performance
The VAP web page guides you to select which "colour" OEM pulley you have (silver or black) as the new pulley differs between the two so make sure you know which you have.
You apply the tune yourself using the supplied hand-held tool so the only real additional expense is the fitting of the crank pulley and belt which should cost no more than say $400 CAN at a decent shop, and it's something you can DIY if you have the space, time, tools and reasonable skills with the spanners.
As an added bonus it releases the hidden supercharger whine!

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar XF-S AWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do it, it is by far the best bang for your buck you can get on any Jag with the AJ126!
I have had this pulley (well the Eurotoys virtually identical one) and tune on my F-Type for over three years now with zero problems, it is completely reliable and the after-sales service from VAP is outstanding. There are dozens of happy customers over on the Yank forum and not a single complaint about the tune or service, and VAP have now done thousands of these pulley and tune kits across the AJ126 and AJ133 (V8).
The increase in performance, acceleration and throttle response is massive, even starting with the 380 PS F-Type S.
$4,000 CAN sounds a bit high though, according to the VAP web page it should cost you $2617 CAN, see here: 3.0L V6 Supercharged Jaguar/Land Rover AJ126 ECU Tuning – Velocity Automotive Performance
The VAP web page guides you to select which "colour" OEM pulley you have (silver or black) as the new pulley differs between the two so make sure you know which you have.
You apply the tune yourself using the supplied hand-held tool so the only real additional expense is the fitting of the crank pulley and belt which should cost no more than say $400 CAN at a decent shop, and it's something you can DIY if you have the space, time, tools and reasonable skills with the spanners.
As an added bonus it releases the hidden supercharger whine!
Thank you for your response, the breakdown of the quote is $2750 for the tune and pulley and about $980 for labour. Then we add the 13% tax and I'm looking at about $4200. This is a lot of money so I really wanted to make sure it's worthwhile. Based on your input it seems like the better option vs getting a new car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm planning on getting the same tune on my XF, I got the car new when I was 15 and I'm getting board as the car doesn't excite me like it did when I first drove it, don't get me wrong I love the car and wont be getting rid of it, I do all the work on the car myself, I recommend you do the same, changing the pully is extremely easy you can look up YouTube vids for reference or do what I do and eyeball and then wing it, the XF is extremely easy and straightforward to work on and doesn't require many specialty tools like other luxury car brands.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Driving laws in Canada scare me when a 15 year old can legally drive a 500HP car. Look at the 15 year olds in the UK and I wouldn't trust them with scooter, which they abuse everywhere as is. But yes, generally Jaguars are fairly easy to work on, and the required techniques and parts are easy to find, unlike say an Aston Martin where parts are ridiculously priced and repair and modification techniques aren't widely shared or known.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Driving laws in Canada scare me when a 15 year old can legally drive a 500HP car. Look at the 15 year olds in the UK and I wouldn't trust them with scooter, which they abuse everywhere as is. But yes, generally Jaguars are fairly easy to work on, and the required techniques and parts are easy to find, unlike say an Aston Martin where parts are ridiculously priced and repair and modification techniques aren't widely shared or known.
Legally you need to be 16 to get your learners permit where I live, my dad started to let me drive alone when I was 15 due to a provincial loophole, but I was taught at a much younger age in various vehicles, driving in Canada is easy compared to the UK, I feel like your whole driving system is based on what would be the most cost effective (roundabouts, 4 way stops and most of your traffic laws) rater than be easier and more straight for the driver like in Canada, I get some of it is good for the environment and to reduce overall energy consumption but I rather value simplicity and safety over that, I guess that's why you see 12 year old's riding 50 cc bikes and 15/16 year old's driving cars here and over there pre teens and teens are stuck with scooters and bikes.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Driving mentality has much to do with it too, of course. If you've grown up with driving in a sensible fashion then you'll likely too be a sensible driver as it's the norm. The youngsters in the UK seem to have a me, me, me, self righteous attitude more often than not. We do have some daft traffic laws but generally the driving standard in the UK is better than in Europe. We don't have 4 way stops here, that's a recipe for disaster as no-one would bother stopping. I've driven in South Africa where the 4 ways work really well. Every car, no exception (oh, except for the taxi minibuses), comes to a stop, then each driver enters the junction depending on who got there first, and they all go in turn. In the UK, when the lead vehicle moved, all those behind would also "go for it".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts