Jaguar Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
ds, this is a hack to enable you to use the freely available volvo maps (as I understand it). It will not be Jaguar approved.
Yeah that’s cool. I’ve actually had it out before just couldn’t remember what the minimum set of panels to take off was. I’m out of warranty now anyhows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah that’s cool. I’ve actually had it out before just couldn’t remember what the minimum set of panels to take off was. I’m out of warranty now anyhows

It takes you 10mins to take the panels off and get to HU. I’ll send you the instructions from workshop manual later today. About 7 pieces. Mostly clipped. There are 12 torx screws in total to take the head unit out. Mainly side panels of centre console to get to AV/AC buttons panel screws. Then, only two Screws to take the HU out. I used plastic trim tools but most of them could be done even by hand.
about 16 small screws to get to the hdd out of HU.
Make sure you have the hardware to unlock the HDD.

I have heard there could be a new update in 2020. So you could get ready for that.
Also Michael knows how to do the update via USB.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It takes you 10mins to take the panels off and get to HU. I’ll send you the instructions from workshop manual later today. About 7 pieces. Mostly clipped. There are 12 torx screws in total to take the head unit out. Mainly side panels of centre console to get to AV/AC buttons panel screws. Then, only two Screws to take the HU out. I used plastic trim tools but most of them could be done even by hand.
about 16 small screws to get to the hdd out of HU.
Make sure you have the hardware to unlock the HDD.

I have heard there could be a new update in 2020. So you could get ready for that.
Also Michael knows how to do the update via USB.
Cool thanks.

I’ve done the USB updates with Micheal before too. Feel like I haven’t dismantled the car for a while and in the mood for a tinker to pass the time :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I’m not going to lie it had crossed my mind. Not least so it loads faster.

That said not even sure you can get SSDs with an IDE interface, that would probably defeat the purpose...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Cool thanks.

I’ve done the USB updates with Micheal before too. Feel like I haven’t dismantled the car for a while and in the mood for a tinker to pass the time :)

See attached which is not written exactly for removing the HU but that’s everything you need to remove it. After this you will see 4 screws to remove the AV/AC buttons and the you see the HU.

for SSD upgrade, the culprit is that the SSD you will use should be able to handle ATA security commands so that IAM can lock/ unlock upon each access. Nothing more can stop you from doing this upgrade.

I know Michael tried this without a luck some years ago but his HU was IDE (PATA). Now You can find PATA SDD drive which This Guy used successfully on a BMW. Mine was first to be spotted to has a SATA and SATA SSDs are available more and hence way cheaper (starting from £12-£15). You might be able to get away with a PATA to SATA (if yours was PATA). Whatever hardware you go with I would check with the seller if it supports “ATA security”.

All said, nobody knows how this would improve the speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
See attached which is not written exactly for removing the HU but that’s everything you need to remove it. After this you will see 4 screws to remove the AV/AC buttons and the you see the HU.

for SSD upgrade, the culprit is that the SSD you will use should be able to handle ATA security commands so that IAM can lock/ unlock upon each access. Nothing more can stop you from doing this upgrade.

I know Michael tried this without a luck some years ago but his HU was IDE (PATA). Now You can find PATA SDD drive which This Guy used successfully on a BMW. Mine was first to be spotted to has a SATA and SATA SSDs are available more and hence way cheaper (starting from £12-£15). You might be able to get away with a PATA to SATA (if yours was PATA). Whatever hardware you go with I would check with the seller if it supports “ATA security”.

All said, nobody knows how this would improve the speed.
Perfect, this PDF just what I was looking for.

The PATASATA thing I think is a non-starter. Even if it works, the benefits of SSD are lost over PATA/IDE. This would be a “replacement” option only, not an upgrade. Probs not going to bother with this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perfect, this PDF just what I was looking for.

The PATASATA thing I think is a non-starter. Even if it works, the benefits of SSD are lost over PATA/IDE. This would be a “replacement” option only, not an upgrade. Probs not going to bother with this.

Just read some specs for PATA SSDs and the main restriction is PATA interface ~100mB/s. This compares to HDD which is around ~35MB/s.
if yours already has a SATA HDD the read speed could be around~150MB/S and upgrading that to a cheap SATA SSD will increase the speed to ~500MB/s.

So, “if” the head unit is not imposing any limitations to read/write speed, This upgrade should “initialise” the navigation faster, do the route calculations and searches faster and if you play CDs from HDD you could switch the tracks faster. I.e. maybe the real interface in head unit is IDE and mine has only an integrated sata/ide adapter.

I personally don’t have have any problem with speed. I think it’s like any other sat nav and the only way to improve is to find a way to enable CarPlay and use a phone.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Reading the BMW owners experience with SSD upgrade I like to discourage people about this mod. They seem to only gained a little noticeable improvement in map loadings and searches.not even zoom in/outs.
One guys reported that his SSD gets up to 75’c that exceeds max op temp range of a normal SSD (70’c) while automotive HDDs normally can go up to 85’c as his OEM does.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts