Jaguar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
is it possible to apply abovementioned method for USB updates?
Look on eBay. You need to have an access code based upon your VIN number to run the update, takes 2- 3 hours to complete. Some say don't bother and buy a sat nav which is better and easier to update or that you can use in other vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Look on eBay. You need to have an access code based upon your VIN number to run the update, takes 2- 3 hours to complete. Some say don't bother and buy a sat nav which is better and easier to update or that you can use in other vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I agree with a tomtom if this HDD idea doesn’t work. To be honest playing with the module is the only reason I’d like an update.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
DVD player is in the boot on the n/s if you have one.
Only if you have a LHD car - pretty sure mine was on the left hand side (but only accessed it once in the 8 years I had the car to change from the UK disc to the continental Europe one at Dover).

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Hmm... I saw on the Volvo site that the latest map data is from April 2018 so it looks like they stopped updating it. Before this option popped up I thought about buying an update through Michael but it seems pretty pointless if you can't get newer data than that and like me already have pretty fresh maps (last updated in mid 2017).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Where is HDD and what else I need to do?
Is the unit behind volume and climate knobs which takes dvd? Is the HDD interface IDE or SATA?
Yes. It is there. It is 2.5" IDE. The latest maps are 2018 year. You can simply download it from volvo site (choose volvo sensus 2011 type)

Reactions: hamedhbb

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Not worth the hassle for me then, but surely worth it if you have older map data in the car.

Great solution anyway and I wonder if JLR still charge silly money for that old data while exactly the same data is available free online through Volvo.

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
Can I clarify this? If I download the 2018 "Sensus 11" maps from the Volvo website onto a 32 Gb USB stick (the maps are 21 Gb), will my XJ recognise it and upload the maps with no other 'faffing' about with authorisation codes and the like?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
No John you can't.. if you read the earlier posts you need the HDD out of the car and have to 'unlock' the drive first before then copying the files over with a HDD adapter and a computer.

·
Registered
18,220 Posts
Ah, OK, Thanks Pete. I was getting all excited there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thank you very much. This sounds interesting. I’ll try it. I should have an IDE cable somewhere. Do you know how often does Volvo update maps?
It is 2.5 ide 44pin, not common, as in old pc. I read somewhere that they plan to update maps in 2020, but it is not 100%

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
It seems Volvo published a map last week. Does it mean it’s a new Updated map or Just an old one which has been published recently?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It seems Volvo published a map last week. Does it mean it’s a new Updated map or Just an old one which has been published recently?
Can’t find them. Latest are 26/04/2018.

·
Founder member
5,074 Posts
Mine updated today

21 - 40 of 92 Posts