21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Me too Pete

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Who was the original owner/admin? Surely the admins/moderators have a better way of contacting the owners than waiting for them to respond to this thread.

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another day, another update during the day! The fact no one from Verticlescope has responded here is clear proof they don't care about the members of the forum.

Reactions: Gav

·
Administrator
598 Posts
Hello all,

Unfortunately, the weekly updates have to run during EST as we need to have staff online to address and issues that could arise.

Note this last week's update took a bit longer than the normal 5-10 minutes due to a performance database upgrade.

Jeff M

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello all,

Unfortunately, the weekly updates have to run during EST as we need to have staff online to address and issues that could arise.

Note this last week's update took a bit longer than the normal 5-10 minutes due to a performance database upgrade.

Jeff M
I work in IT and if updates are required, to reduce user impact, they are scheduled outside of typical system usage or at least some sort of pre-warning.

Have you ever looked at the times users are logged on and planned updates to avoid peaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Also, I would suggest that the main admin/owner of the site has much more involvement with the moderators/other admins of the site. They give up their free time to assist the running, hoover up spam adverts and deal with dissent, yet you ignore thier requests to adjust something which could quite easily be changed. It's a disgrace to be perfectly honest.

Reactions: ChrisSB

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Have to agree with @ChrisSB, communication is key. It would take very little just to post a warning, maybe even a banner at the top of the site.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Yep, communication is key.

Jag Admin last seen 3 days ago. 🤷‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: DAVENN and ChrisSB

·
Administrator
598 Posts
I work in IT and if updates are required, to reduce user impact, they are scheduled outside of typical system usage or at least some sort of pre-warning.

Have you ever looked at the times users are logged on and planned updates to avoid peaks?

So we have thought about and did bring this up for discussion before but it made more sense to run it when we have people available during the day to monitor updates and make sure we can run fixes or backtrack in case there were errors. And we have a lot of communities around the web and around the world so there's never really the 'best' time of the day.

I hope this brings you more insight on our reasons.

Li

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Spoken like a true multinational.

In fairness, this should have been expected when Vertical scope took over. You look at thier website and the number of forums they have acquired is in the hundreds.

Just out of interest, what's the general history of jaginfo previous to them owning it. Was it set up in the UK by a single person?

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Spoken like a true multinational.

In fairness, this should have been expected when Vertical scope took over. You look at thier website and the number of forums they have acquired is in the hundreds.

Just out of interest, what's the general history of jaginfo previous to them owning it. Was it set up in the UK by a single person?
Yes. One guy (his name escapes me right now ) created the forum and ran it then out of the blue he sold it to Verticalscope without discussing it with anyone. Had he done that I would have offered to run it.

Reactions: DAVENN

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I know a guy who also would have been very capable of looking after it, who used to, and possibly still does own mg-rover.org.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Yes. One guy (his name escapes me right now ) created the forum and ran it then out of the blue he sold it to Verticalscope without discussing it with anyone.
"Pottsy" wasn't it?

·
Super Moderator
28,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I know a guy who also would have been very capable of looking after it, who used to, and possibly still does own mg-rover.org.
I have run my own forums for about 15 years now. :)

·
Registered
19,464 Posts
If we have the know-how and experience here, why aren't we doing this on our own?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I suspect had they had the opportunity, that would have been done.

Looking at thier portfolio, I'd be surprised if "vertical scope" would want to part with the forum now.

And in terms of starting a new forum, that can be done but it's pretty much got to be from scratch as all posts, photos, threads etc are effectively owned by them once it's been submitted. It's not just a case of copying and pasting everything onto a new platform.

With all the years of knowledge on here now, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to start it all again from scratch.

It is however, an extremely disappointing situation to be in, if members are actively seeking those avenues and the owners should be taking things much more seriously than they seem to be.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
So we have thought about and did bring this up for discussion before but it made more sense to run it when we have people available during the day to monitor updates and make sure we can run fixes or backtrack in case there were errors. And we have a lot of communities around the web and around the world so there's never really the 'best' time of the day.

I hope this brings you more insight on our reasons.

Li
If that is how it has to be then OK, but a little notice and a post saying something like "Starting in 15 minutes" then "Finished" would be helpful.

Reactions: Jag_Admin

·
Administrator
598 Posts
I think we might be able to work on that. I will discuss this with our team members on how we can let the community know. For the most part, updates are typically scheduled on Tuesdays between 10am to 4pm eastern time from my experience. The updates usually go for about 30 minutes up to about 2 hours at most but not always accurate and dependent on what's being updated.

Li

·
Administrator
598 Posts
If we have the know-how and experience here, why aren't we doing this on our own?
I used to be a part of a gaming forum, I volunteered as a moderator (this was when I was 12-13). It was a great forum but every other month or so we would need to figure out how to come up with the money to pay for all the ever growing content on the forum. Server costs were not cheap and to a 12 year old, asking for donations from the community to make 500 by the end of the month, was hard work. This was before ad space was really a thing, so we had these shady Google-like ads that help generate money but even then it wasn't enough as the cost of the server went up all the time. Eventually the owners grew up and had either different hobbies or life just became too busy to keep things going. So they notified the community that they were gonna shut it down. It sucked :(
I guess the responsibilities became too much to keep going.

Li

·
Administrator
598 Posts
I suspect had they had the opportunity, that would have been done.

Looking at thier portfolio, I'd be surprised if "vertical scope" would want to part with the forum now.

And in terms of starting a new forum, that can be done but it's pretty much got to be from scratch as all posts, photos, threads etc are effectively owned by them once it's been submitted. It's not just a case of copying and pasting everything onto a new platform.

With all the years of knowledge on here now, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to start it all again from scratch.

It is however, an extremely disappointing situation to be in, if members are actively seeking those avenues and the owners should be taking things much more seriously than they seem to be.

What are some things we could help to help this community? I know we're not always able to deliver everything, we especially had a had time with vbulletin but we're optimistic with this current platform.

Li

21 - 40 of 74 Posts