Jaguar Forum banner
261 - 280 of 477 Posts
I’m not a big drinker. Tipple tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAVENN
Tried that Welsh so called Malta whisky years ago. Didn't agree with it at all, but thats just my opinion.

As for Alan's Glenlivet - please Sir, can I have some more.

A lovely tipple. Again, just my opinion.
My 17 YO son bought me the Glenlivet for Christmas, unfortunately it's only a 35cl bottle, but as he's under age I think he did well!

I’m not a big drinker. Tipple tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks like it'll be fruitfully nice. I don't mind a decent Dandelion & Burdock but never tried an alcoholic one. Wonder if that's brewed or made artificially?

Discussion starter · #263 ·
treating a mate to a bottle of single malt.
Budget £200.

I know beer but not whiskey.

Looking for suggestions.

treating a mate to a bottle of single malt.
Budget £200.

I know beer but not whiskey.

Looking for suggestions.
The Yoichi Single Malt I recently got was delicious, just got another one delivered today!

Springbank 15 was very nice, but the packaging isn't very presentable. Master of Malt is a good site, plenty of filters for searching and use reviews. I use them a lot, very reliable.

Yeah I enjoyed the founders reserve too, I only bought it as it was on offer at Tesco. I'll certainly get it again, very quaffable.

Tonight will be a bottle of red. Gagging for it too.

Masters of Malta it is then.

thank you.

Just been thinking about this, whisky can be such a personal thing when it comes to taste. Probably the biggest factor will be if your mate likes very smoky, a little smoke or no smoke, which is all a consequence of using peat.

For lots of smoke then a whisky from Isle is usually a good shout. Laphroaig is well known for a lot of smoke, but I find it too medicinal. Subtle smoke can be found it ones such as the Arran Machrie Moor (very morish) or the Japanese Yoichi I mentioned earlier. Speyside whisky tends to be more smooth and often without smoke, but perhaps a little boring sometimes. A touch of smoke gives it that little something, perhaps the best way I can describe it is like how an vintage cheddar has that little addictive bite.

Also, being older doesn't necessarily guarantee someone will like it - which can be frustrating! lol It may be worth looking at their tasting sets and getting a few of those? They aren't cheap, but it would give him a great selection to work through.

Discussion starter · #269 ·
Just been thinking about this, whisky can be such a personal thing when it comes to taste. Probably the biggest factor will be if your mate likes very smoky, a little smoke or no smoke, which is all a consequence of using peat.

For lots of smoke then a whisky from Isle is usually a good shout. Laphroaig is well known for a lot of smoke, but I find it too medicinal. Subtle smoke can be found it ones such as the Arran Machrie Moor (very morish) or the Japanese Yoichi I mentioned earlier. Speyside whisky tends to be more smooth and often without smoke, but perhaps a little boring sometimes. A touch of smoke gives it that little something, perhaps the best way I can describe it is like how an vintage cheddar has that little addictive bite.

Also, being older doesn't necessarily guarantee someone will like it - which can be frustrating! lol It may be worth looking at their tasting sets and getting a few of those? They aren't cheap, but it would give him a great selection to work through.
totally agree.
An excellent post and has just reminded me of the day I spent in a distillery sorting a stray light issue for a client .

like beer, wine, art , wimmin .. it's about personal preference. ...one man's meat etc.
I was looking at a presentation set of some sort ...something to keep and display, not just drink.

I've detailed what this chap helped me with in another parish, so I won't be going cheap.

Reactions: ninjag

Very sage post Graham, well explained. (y)

Reactions: ninjag

Very true - I realise I’ve become quite interested in whisky tasting over the last 10 years and typically have around 20 bottles of whisky open at any one time (for comparison purposes only!) and I often change my mind what I like best. And I’ve tried some very expensive whiskies along the way such as a 1976 Macallan 18 year old...but the best whisky is always the one tasted with friends.

Reactions: Rigger
This evening I'll be trying "Hazy jane". It's a cloudy new England ipa. It's almost like a wheat beer but with much more hoppy edge. I've also got some punk ipa from the same brewer (Brewdog).

This evening I'll be trying "Hazy jane". It's a cloudy new England ipa. It's almost like a wheat beer but with much more hoppy edge. I've also got some punk ipa from the same brewer (Brewdog).
I like their Punk IPA, I'll have to lookout for Hazy Jane though. What was it like?

Steam Brew Session IPA tonight, very citrus taste.

Wobbly [emoji41]

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #279 ·
May I recommend KWAK.

not a session ale...

unless your session starts at 6pm and finishes about 7pm.

261 - 280 of 477 Posts